Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Celeste rules. It is a triumph of Videogames. It is an achievement. It is a monument to the notion that there is no genre of design that cannot be mastered to such an extent that you can use it to make people feel something.

I love everything about it except the most recent patch, but fortunately I got all 50 hours of speedrunning out of my system before that hit, so I'm only theoretically bitter about that.

Celeste went straight to the top of my games of 2018 list and I'm not certain that anything I know to be on the horizon is going to knock it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Previously, the in-game timer would pause while the game was paused, during cutscenes, and while Madeline is respawning (important because the respawn animation is partially skippable and therefore of variable duration). It now doesn't pause, ever.

There was an exploit in which you could pause and retry immediately after transitioning between screens; you would be moved forward on the screen a little, to the respawn point, for free in in-game time terms. This is a valid problem, and I think wiping all the times was unavoidable, probably, but I think they kinda threw out the baby with the bathwater on that one.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Oshiro is pitiable.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Everybody be cool. As intriguing as feminist analysis of Chapter 3 might be, if it's gonna go on like this it's not going to go on at all.

Also let's please not conflate "classic trope" with "TVTropes page".

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Celeste is a masterpiece of level pacing. I don't think I've ever seen another game that does this good a job with every single stage.

Even Chapter 3.

• Locked thread