Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I really really love this game and actually requested a LP in the requests thread. So thanks for doing that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I can't remember if it's in the game files or some interview with Matt Makes Games, but something refers to the Part of You as "Badeline" and I haven't been able to call her anything else since.

It's a fun little name.

But on the other hand, wouldn't that sort of imply that the main character is mad?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

On top of being a great game, Celeste's "voice acting" is the best I've ever heard in this style. It's rare that a game's able to convey emotion so effectively with wurbles.

It's really great, when Maddie starts pouting. It fits the picture so well.
In fact, it's all done so well, that I don't think that actual voice acting would have been an improvement.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Whybird posted:

It's not completely zero physical sense. A narrower shape has less air resistance than a wide one, so will fall faster. It wouldn't happen to the extent we see in the game of course -- it'd probably be completely negligible -- but the reason it feels intuitive is that it is consistent with our understanding of how things fall.

There you have it. If you're ever falling a great distance and feel like you're not going fast enough, stretch yourself.

Important life lessons in this game. :v:

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
That's a great mechanics tutorial!

Also, Oshiro is kind of a mess. You can vaguely understands why he acts the way he does, but his attitude is a bit tiring. Unfortunately that's true for many people with mental imbalances.

One other thing: I would advise against cutting out multiple deaths. The lapse in the otherwise great music makes it kinda obvious, and I doubt you'll die tens of times on the same obstacles in the main game.
Actually nah, I don't want to backseat-LP. If you prefer this, it's cool.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Apr 2, 2018

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Lazy Bear posted:

The mountain is a very important character.

She's the final boss we're trying to defeat. It's totally a girl mountain, right?
Of course Madeline ist also trying to fight herself, which might bei even harder.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Tenebrais posted:

Also Theo is a goddamn hero. I wonder if the feather thing actually works.

Well, obviously you can't generalize panic attacks, since some stuff will just work better on some people than others.
But in general that would be a good tactic. It has all the important components. Closing your eyes, focusing on something calm and peaceful and forcing yourself to calm your breath could be helpful.

But then again, there might be people who would suddenly imagine that feather to fling around wildly and uncontrollable, which would make the situation somewhat worse.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

NinetySevenA posted:

Does the game have an actual scoring system or are the 1000s when you pick up a strawberry just a design choice?

If it is a design choice, it's pretty cool that they were thoughtful enough to have it add and show 2000 when you grabbed the two of them on the one screen.

It's actually slightly different. The first strawberry gives you 1000 points and the second one 2000. And there's actually a reason for that. It's nothing mayor, but it's silly and fun, so I wont spoil it.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
To be fair to the old woman, Madeleine hasn't introduced herself either. And when she first met Theo, you have to re-initiate the conversation to make her tell him her name.
Between that and insulting Badeleine's appearance the first chance she gets, she's kinda rude to strangers.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

sunken fleet posted:

I love how she's having a conversation with something called A Part of You and her opener is "well, I think it's time we go our separate ways and never see each other again...". I mean, how did she see that conversation ending? Getting tossed down a hill is a positively gentle response.

Plus, she's all excited and giddy about that. From the other side of the conversation, it sounds like she's gleefully announcing abandoning and possibly downright killing part of her. Even if you believe it, "You're everything that's holding me back and I have to let go of you." are kinda harsh words.

This is also why I like this story so much. Many lesser writers would just play that straight:
The hero has some kind of mental flaw, or insecurity. Some kind of magic manifests that stuff into an antagonist. The hero destroys it with physical violence and everything is fixed forever.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Apr 13, 2018

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

As far as I can tell, it's just someone saying "Hey-yeah!" over and over again. It's providing reinforcement that hey, you're doing the right thing! Keep doing that!

I love how the chanting distorts in the later part of the fight, when it gets more frantic and rocks start moving around.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I mean, Mount Celeste is only 2041 meters high with a prominence of 589 meters. I'm reasonably sure that would be doable for an average person. That pesky mountain magic complicates things.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Glazius posted:

Why is Badeline worried about climbing a mountain? She can fly!

Maddie can't and Badeline is a part of her. So I guess she doesn't really want Madeleine to die on a mountain. In hindsight, throwing her down through a series of sharp crystals wasn't the best idea. But it turned out fine in the end.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Tenebrais posted:

It's worth noting we're not even half way through the game at this point. The story is finished, but we've got another chapter to go, then all the B-sides, and even that's not the end of it. Madeline got her big breakthrough that makes a satisfying story, but if you as a player keep putting in the effort, she's going to keep climbing that mountain.

It's almost as if the struggle doesn't just stop once you hit your big goal.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Red Mike posted:

I assume this is because it's meant to be an end-game stage, but it felt like a challenge post-end-game stage to me. If I were playing, I'm fairly sure I would've stopped after a little bit of trying at this point (whereas I didn't feel this way about the rest of the stages).

It's clearly a form of post-game. We've already seen the credits after all.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
You take the front side then the backside. Afterwards you take the inside.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
It has been really fun and I am happy that someone showed this game off. It's pretty much my favorite platformer of the last decade.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 15:19 on May 1, 2018

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
There was a cool AMA by the creators in Reddit at some point. It might be worth linking if you can dig it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

One quick googling for celeste reddit ama later...

Would you believe me if I told you that I didn't want to risk landing in the wrong Reddit page? The stakes were just to high!

• Locked thread