Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Irritated Goat posted:

As an alternative, you could do those in a separate video if doing normal run then speedrun is an annoying amount of work for you. Either way, I'd vote to keep them in.

Or just record separately and splice it in.

But yeah, Celeste is a feel good game about improving yourself. I absolutely adored it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Tenebrais posted:

That helps a great deal. I'd imagine it's also the main reason for comparisons to Super Meat Boy - besides the general idea of a brutally hard platformer - since that also brings you back to the start of the challenge immediately upon you dying. The main difference in my mind is that SMB revels in your deaths - after every level you get a quick replay of all your attempts simultaneously, and later levels reference the sheer amount of deaths you go through to get there - while Celeste is doing all it can to encourage you to push through despite them.

To be fair though, it would be fun to complete a room and see the various Madelines charge forward in a suicidal death line just like Meat Boy. There's just something really viscerally satisfying about watching that after every level.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Waltzing Along posted:

She is trying to climb a mountain...

And is already talking to herself.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Eh, I've been Oshiro in the past and I also just got out of a relationship with someone who was Oshiro. When I got to this point in the game, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't hoping for Oshiro to get better. But then I wasn't surprised at the twist either.

Sucks to be him but also gently caress that guy.

Ramos fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Apr 4, 2018

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

That's something that comes up in epic fiction, superheroes, action movies, etc all the time. It's less about whether or not the character can overcome the obstacle, we as an audience know the hero can by the end of the day, it's more about that character coming to obtain whatever he or she needs to reach that point. In this case with Madeline, it's self confidence and that inner peace.

Also, yeah, don't look too closely, I wish I could midair dash too.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Well, it was skirting magical realism for a while until the game flat out said, "This temple is actually magic!"

edit: By the way, there's a new 100% world record for the game. Naturally, spoilers ahoy but here's a link if you're interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QO7wSJKOcgU

Ramos fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Apr 10, 2018

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Quiet Python posted:

Granny's proximity to crows all the time makes me wonder if she is a kind of Odin-like figure. Giving wisdom and seeing all through her crow companions.

Or maybe she just likes crows.

Nah, she's just some crazy old lady on a mountain, best to ignore her.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Tenebrais posted:

Several of the development team have said in interviews that the story means a lot to them, because they've been through the same things.

As for Madeline's age, the car you see at the start of the prologue is hers, it's how she got there. I don't know what the driving age in Canada is, mind.
Her portrait doesn't look very adult, but I don't think she looks like a child either? Just kind of ambiguously cartoon.

If I remember right, Madeline's supposed to be somewhere in her vague early to mid twenties. Don't quote me on that though, I just vaguely remember that from some developer interview.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Watching this part of the LP is going to be fun because this is about where I'm at in the game. Side A with the story is nothing particularly new or difficult for me since I've been playing stuff like Jumper and what not from Matt Makes Games for a long while. Side B though, geez, I've occasionally had to look at videos to see how some sections are even done and still it requires a lot of tight execution. I've gotten a few of them done but there's still plenty to go.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

This one is the best one of the lot, hands down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Great LP, thank you for the fun ride.

Now to get around to those B sides and catch up, I guess.

• Locked thread