Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

I love this game so much. I love that this game has ultra-difficult postgame challenges but goes out of its way to make sure that you don't feel bad if you want/can't complete them. It gives you the freedom to have exactly as much fun with it as you want and respects your decision to approach it how you like. The achievements are the best example of this: you can get them even with assist mode on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Dzhay posted:

I just finished the this game['s story] and this LP is making me realise how bad I am at it.

Remember that every death is just a learning experience. Seriously, the game itself does not care how many times you die or even if you turn on assist mode to get everything.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

berryjon posted:

How many boss "fights" in games nowadays boil down to chasing someone down so you can give them a hug?

In Mother 3 the final boss gives you a hug.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

One of my favorite things about the story of this game is how chill everyone is about all the supernatural stuff that's going on. Theo especially. I can imagine his conversations with his sister afterwards.

"I ran into a vengeful ghost who was running an abandoned hotel filled with physical manifestations of his negative emotions and my friend was roped into putting away floating piles of laundry."

"Weren't you scared?"

"Why? I mean, it's just laundry."

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Sever the Skyline is hands down my favorite track in the game. It perfectly conveys the "Kid gloves are off" ambiance of the B-Sides.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Okay, so 7-B was when I had to put this game down. I suffered a LOT just getting through 5-B (over 1000 deaths for the first time) and I could feel myself getting burnt out, so I skipped 6-B and went to 7-B. I got through 7-B after around 1500 deaths and having to look up the instructions to the up-dash wall jump, and as soon as I dashed into the heart, the game crashed and it didn't save my progress (though it did save my 1500 deaths), so I had to do 7-B AGAIN.

It was at that point that I knew I had reached my limit. I don't feel bad about leaving things like that because the game itself has taught us that there's no shame in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Thanks for the LP!

For anyone who loves masochism, Here is a "speedrun" of Celeste by TGH, the current world record holder, where he gets all A-Sides, B-Sides, and C-Sides, and every strawberry, including the golden strawberries, for all levels.

It took him 8 hours.

• Locked thread