Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GirlCalledBob
Jul 17, 2013
I think it also depends how you see the end of the story, in terms of how much of a 'solution' Maddie has actually reached. Personally, it felt pretty true to me, because she doesn't banish her depression or her negative thinking, she just learns a different way of 'communicating' with it, like a coping strategy. The dark Part of Her even points out that things are going to be hard and scary moving forward, and Maddie agrees, but she feels more able to deal with it now. I don't see this as her finding a fix for her depression, just realising that maybe there are things she can do to make things feel more managable.
Which is pretty similar to my own experiences with depression: I'm chronic, so it's never going to go away or stop happening, but in the past few years I've started to relate to my feelings differently, and cope better with my own behaviour, and it's made a huge difference in how capable I feel to deal with the depression as a whole. I didn't have a Badaline (Badabob? It doesn't work nearly as well with my name) to hug, but in a way, I did have that frank discussion with myself.

But yeah, everyone experiences depression differently, so obviously your mileage may vary, but I think that's part of what makes this story work, as a whole. It's obviously very personal to the writer, and even if parts of it don't ring true to your own experience, I think a lot of it still feels genuine in a way some stories about mental illness don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread