Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brainworm
Mar 23, 2007

...one of these--
As he hath spices of them all, not all,
For I dare so far free him--made him fear'd...
Nap Ghost
I've been working on this one for a few weeks and could use some feedback; I'm at the point where I feel like I can't judge e.g. pacing and voice because I've got it close to memorized. It's about 6000 words.

Here's the link to the Google Doc. Comments are enabled. I'm especially interested in whether the voice works, but suspect there might not be enough hooks early on, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainworm
Mar 23, 2007

...one of these--
Nap Ghost

Mrenda posted:

[...] If the message is about justice, which you explicitly make, then I do have doubts about the efficacy of the voice. There's a detached style to it, as though recounting a story from a distant past, that removes the immediacy of any effect. I was left thinking how this woman's life was changed in the intervening yeas, seeing as this is a story they chose to tell, and so must have some significance. If it is a simple tale about the consequences of survival and the harshness of chance then I'd prefer to feel embedded in the voice that's telling it. It needs to be a bit more visceral, more emotional, more introspective. The voice for me was one as if telling a grand fable, but I didn't get any meat of that in the story. The voice promised lofty thought, which the story didn't deliver, or at least the message of the story. There was little perspective, awareness or self-knowledge to it.

[...] it was almost as if the person telling the story (and you writing the story) didn't believe in it as fully as necessary. Like you held back from telling your truth, or her truth, hoping for stronger meaning to emerge from the bones. If there was a deeper truth I'd imagine it to be about the damage of trauma and adoption of evil or cruel traits in the face of such cruelty, mirroring it.

Thanks for this. FWIW, I think your criticism is spot on.

Brainworm
Mar 23, 2007

...one of these--
Nap Ghost

Mrenda posted:

My pleasure. Despite what I said I enjoyed the story. It's better and more memorable than many I've seen published.

Thanks. Your feedback gave me some clarity.

What I thought was a problem with voice is actually also a problem with the narrator's framing. Without knowing who she is as a storyteller -- why she's telling the story at this moment, what she learns by telling it, and how she reflects on her past actions -- there's no sense of her emotional, psychological, or intellectual development. In a story that's about her relationship to cruelty and justice and so on, those self-revelations are really the payoff.

Does that sound about right?

• Locked thread