Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Danger Dull posted:

Oy. I've gone over this story several times. It's a part of a larger series of stories and is meant to be a "light" introduction to it. I'm getting back into writing and this story has been a WIP for many-o-year.

It's pretty long for any intensive crits. If you have the time I'd love some pointers to help me tighten focus in some areas. Maybe I need to start a thread for this. Maybe I need to pay someone.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I will be illustrating this too, which is why I wanted to start out small. Some passages are a little sparse on details due to supporting illustrations but I am not sure if I want to stay in that direction or not.

Edit: Huur I should read the OP.

I commented on your piece. Get a second/third opinion since I'm like ADHD incarnate and need big explosions/conflict to maintain my attention

Exmond fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Apr 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Mrenda posted:

I'm wondering about this one. A big wonder, for reasons I won't say.

"Your Rightful Place"

https://docs.google.com/document/d/12iRa9Jaqirl1kSGRGUwMab3g5gExozKcFUftdg4jwJ0/edit?usp=sharing

Hey Mrenda, I think this is a good story. I critted it.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1rMOsHVjLAowi6ydGosQ42WCcA5QsEB9S3gfMBVFic_o/edit?usp=sharing

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

AllNewJonasSalk posted:

Hey guys. I wrote a thing and actually like it. This is an indication that it is bad. Tell me how bad! I will also critique anything that you guys will let me lay my eyes on. I need practice with that sort of thing.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/174Ql4FE9fITbGmYT1IJsWGLnL8oHs_DOGhuOLD9mikc/edit?usp=drivesdk

Is this a full story? A start of a story? Just free-form writing, or is it flash fiction?

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

AllNewJonasSalk posted:

Hey guys. I wrote a thing and actually like it. This is an indication that it is bad. Tell me how bad! I will also critique anything that you guys will let me lay my eyes on. I need practice with that sort of thing.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/174Ql4FE9fITbGmYT1IJsWGLnL8oHs_DOGhuOLD9mikc/edit?usp=drivesdk

I commented as Mike. I like flash fiction, exciting starts and not gettign confused. As always, get a second opinion, and feel free to tell me to stuff it.

I see why you liked this piece, there is a strong voice here. Kind of a noir, down on his luck noir detective voice. You also have contrasting characters that play well off of each other. Joe doesn't get much screen time, but his personality comes through and he is well utilized. The protagonist plays off of him well, and the dialogue really worked for me.

Your start is cliched and on the second re-read: bad. It starts off with a cliche: something is wrong. Then it takes it's sweet time to tell us what is wrong and why. I don't think you need to abandon your start, but a heavy rewrite is required.

This piece also suffers from what I will sum up as first-draft woes. Grammar issues and some sentences that should have been read out loud.

I want to point out that I enjoyed the piece when your character made observations and comments in that voice of his. When you needed action to happen, or a span of time to pass, you had to zoom out. Whenever you zoom out the following problems occur

1) Your prose starts to get disjointed and confusing. Characters comment on a perp drawing a gun. Next sentence the ambulance is driving away. The next sentence is about pizza. Then the sentence emphasizes the shooting is currently happening.
2) The action whizzes by so fast that I can't get a grasp on the characters
3) The action whizzes by so fast that the characters seem to react nonchalantly to important events

It was a problem for me and my suspension of disbelief was shattered.

Another problem we have with this piece is uhhh, there isn't much of a story. There is no conflict, there is no consequence for actions, there is no choice and there is no change in characters. There isn't a lot of plot here either: junkie gets found, junkie is a young girl, junkie gets dropped off at hospital, guy goes to grab pizza, guy gets shot, guy laughs about it and goes to library (Guess which part of your piece I dislike), guy goes back to hospital.

The only caveat I can offer is I don't write serials, so I don't know how they work. I can tell you that only due to liking noir and your voice, would I read further. Even then I would probably give you another two paragraphs. I suspect I would be gobsmacked when a superhero entered the scene and stop reading. This needs a heavy dose of tightening up, and I think some plot would help.

• Locked thread