Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
This game

was made by these people

14 years ago. And I'm going to play it for you, Internet.

Bonus unlockable levels.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jul 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
I really enjoyed this one as a kid. This and THUG2 (ugh) were the only Tony Hawk games I 100%'d.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

I really enjoyed this one as a kid. This and THUG2 (ugh) were the only Tony Hawk games I 100%'d.

I enjoyed it as a kid, but time made me remember it being not that great. Replaying it now, I'm enjoying myself, even if I'm stressing myself out a little with all the practice I'm putting in for everything. Hopefully it pays off though!

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Underground was my favorite out of all the Tony Hawk games, but to be fair I stopped playing the series after THUG 2, and then when I played the Skate games it felt really hard to go back.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Big Scary Owl posted:

Underground was my favorite out of all the Tony Hawk games, but to be fair I stopped playing the series after THUG 2, and then when I played the Skate games it felt really hard to go back.

You didn't miss much. American Wasteland isn't too bad, but it's bloated.

Project 8 and Proving Ground, however, are really bad. Project 8 has a bunch of missions that rely on ragdoll physics (you know, those physics known for their rigid consistency), which Proving Ground is just boring. Both games are also insanely tough, scaling the difficulty for veterens of the series who were getting tired of nailing 50-million-point combos and were looking for a challenge.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
I hope this thread title is what he has requested for his tombstone.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I ended up skipping 4 as a kid for whatever reason, so THUG was the game I played after 3, and it really felt like a more natural evolution than 4 did. There's some dumb stuff in the game, but I did enjoy the story mode as a kid, even if I never bothered playing it on harder modes.

Kind of fell off of the series after that though, and I don't really remember why. American Wasteland is the only one after this I played (not counting the travesty that was HD), and I can't really remember it at all. I've already decided that once I buy a PS4, my first game is going to be THPS5.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

roomforthetuna posted:

I hope this thread title is what he has requested for his tombstone.

:smith:

Momomo posted:

I ended up skipping 4 as a kid for whatever reason, so THUG was the game I played after 3, and it really felt like a more natural evolution than 4 did. There's some dumb stuff in the game, but I did enjoy the story mode as a kid, even if I never bothered playing it on harder modes.

Kind of fell off of the series after that though, and I don't really remember why. American Wasteland is the only one after this I played (not counting the travesty that was HD), and I can't really remember it at all. I've already decided that once I buy a PS4, my first game is going to be THPS5.

4 was definitely a transition period where they knew they wanted to do bigger levels, but didn't quite know how to make missions for them.

If you think HD was bad, THPS5 makes it look like a masterpiece.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I played the series through American Wasteland, and I always thought THUG 1 was the best of the entire series. THUG 2 has a little bit better controls, but oof, that story, and so many dumb challenges. This one actually has a relatively GOOD story to it, which helps it move along. Plus, my character of a punk rock skeleton in 3D specs always made me happy.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

I've never played or seen THUG before, but right away this game feels like a joke. It's so... serious(?) the way it treats itself. I was laughing during the Chad Muska cutscene, it felt like they were honestly expecting me to be jaw droppingly impressed. It feels like a satire, but I don't think I think it's earnest. Everything about the game is so dated and out of place. From the graphics to the storyline to the gameplay it feels straight out of the 90s, yet it came out in 2003.

I like the Bart character, too. It feels very fitting for the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q31CAyIjFwg

Those commercials ran for over a decade, from 1988 to 2001.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Eh, I think a lot of the humor and stuff is intentional. Heck, Eric kinda implies there that Muska didn't really do squat and he's getting paid the mad money for it.

If you watch the plot for THUG 2, you'd find yourself dying for the parts that take itself seriously in this game. As Jackass was at its peak at the time, it basically becomes entirely Bam Margera and his crew doing wacky things around the world while laughing at the camera as much as it's about, you know, skateboarding.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Ziv Zulander posted:

I've never played or seen THUG before, but right away this game feels like a joke. It's so... serious(?) the way it treats itself. I was laughing during the Chad Muska cutscene, it felt like they were honestly expecting me to be jaw droppingly impressed. It feels like a satire, but I don't think I think it's earnest. Everything about the game is so dated and out of place. From the graphics to the storyline to the gameplay it feels straight out of the 90s, yet it came out in 2003.

I think the most serious parts of the story are the fact it even has a story, and some moments later on. Overall though, it knows what kinda game this is and just uses a light plot to chain things together.

The whole thing with Chad Muska was meant to display a bit of comical excess for sure. Bulletproof siding and 7 televisions for an SUV?

Also if you think this game seems dated, wait until you see THUG2.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Think of this as one of those 00's teen movies with the over-the top storylines and exotic locations.

JordanStiva
Jan 14, 2015
I have an intense nostalgia for this game (basically the games 3-THUG2 really) but like said, I went back to play it recently and really struggled to get to grips with it after becoming so used to the Skate series for my skateboarding fix. I'm still a dab hand at 3 but I think that might just be muscle memory from the sheer hours I put into it.

Anyway, dug the first video and dug how you're tackling the gaps in a neat little sequential way. If you can pull that off in Moscow, then that'll be radical.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
The idea is to just keep a good balance with completing missions and getting gaps when I feel it's efficient. It certainly takes a lot of planning and memorization, but I don't think Moscow is going to be any harder than something like Manhattan in that regard.

What IS hard is some of these missions that I'd totally forgotten about before committing to this, but we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Ugh, everything about Moscow is awful in my memory of this game. Not just the gaps but the challenges too.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Doesn't look a thing like Bart Simpson anyway, where's his horrible bug-eyed grimace?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

THUG was instrumental in preteen me’s short-lived desire to become a skater.

I never even figured out how to ollie.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Someone in Discord just asked me what a "gap" was.

In the context of the Tony Hawk games, gaps are the blue text that comes up by accomplishing something in that designated area or on designated objects, usually in some sort of transition from one thing to another. They range in complexity, and they can be integrated into combos for added score and multiplier.

They've been in every Tony Hawk game, but it was Pro Skater 2 that first introduced the concept of "collecting" them for completion, with a gap checklist. This wasn't in Pro Skater 3, but was brought back afterwards in 4 and after.

It's a game-ified version of actual skateboarding, where they look for spots to show off some kind of skill. Airing over a channel, jumping a set of stairs, grinding a long rail, and so forth; That concept is implemented in the games, but it's just taken a step further to match the unrealistic abilities of your skateman.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
A friend of mine who I used to visit regularly and play games with had a bunch of Tony Hawk's's and we always had a blast playing them, but the arcadey gameplay of the earlier ones was getting stale after a while. This one, however, kept us entertained far longer, not necessarily because of the story (it does help to give a framework of sorts, though) but because of the open world, the ability to just walk places when you don't care for the skateboard physics anymore, and the variety of challenges. It's great and I'll be super happy to follow this thread.

On the story itself: I think the characters as they're presented so far are exactly the type of people who'd be wowed by Muska's stupid poo poo. It doesn't matter if you're actually super into skater culture yourself or just playing a game with those two bozos in it, I think; in the context of how they're presented, it works, and there's no need to think further about it imho. I don't think it's either and over-the-top parody or a case of wanting to be taken super seriously as "awesome stuff, dude" - Muska's lifestyle is something the main characters would absolutely aspire to at the moment, so it's framed as such.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So can you always skitch the dog for a speed boost or is that a limited chance after that mission?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The story is really easy to snap over your knee when it comes to logic (i.e. doing impossible lip tricks on power lines while still trying to work your way into grungy sewer skate competitions because you’re “unproven”), but it does follow a reasonable progression. You and Eric are supposed to still be teens who are seriously impressed by celebrity skaters doing tricks that would be hard in real life.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Glazius posted:

So can you always skitch the dog for a speed boost or is that a limited chance after that mission?

The dog is just for the mission, but the cars that drive around can always be skitched.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Let's run down a few things here.

It takes a lot of time to practice not only the THUG levels, but the levels from the earlier games, so I don't expect myself to update more than once a week. I don't want to put up videos faster than I can make them.

I also struggle with audio balancing, and have been working to improve that. In the case of this game, you've got the game audio, my commentary, and the music I'm adding in. I would like to hear your opinions on how it all sounds and if I should make any changes.

Speaking of music, the last Tony Hawk LP I did, I used MIDI files of songs from the first four games in the series. This game's soundtrack doesn't lend itself to doing something similar, and I didn't want to make you listen to the same tracks as the last game, so I opted to use some video game music composed by the super-awesome Tim Follin. Also instead of just letting the music run continuously through the video, I've been cutting out when there is game dialogue, so it's not competing for your attention. Are these things working out for you?

I notice that my introduction videos get fewer views than the first proper video for the LPs. I've been doing these instead of written OP text dumps or talking a bunch at the beginning of the regular videos, so you aren't really missing anything if you just want to get into the LP proper (hence, the "Part 0"), but I want to know your thoughts on if this is working out for you guys, or if you really just prefer stuff written out in the thread. Or if you DO like the intro videos, if there's anything I should do differently for them.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I have never heard the phrase "Flipping a bitch" outside of this game.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Choco1980 posted:

However, this IS the game that introduced me to “deez nuts”.

Emissary666
Sep 6, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

However, this IS the game that introduced me to “deez nuts”.

I only just remembered that that was even in the game. I didn't know the meme was that old.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels
I forget, is this the game where you can change a rail trick without hopping, or was that introduced in THUG 2?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Lazy Bear posted:

I forget, is this the game where you can change a rail trick without hopping, or was that introduced in THUG 2?

I think you can. You can also change flatland tricks (like manuals and handstands) and do double or triple flip tricks.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

You actually could do it to a more limited level all the way back in THPS 3 actually.

Also Deez Nuts goes back to at least the mid 90s fyi.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Lazy Bear posted:

Those were first introduced in THPS3 as "Hidden Tricks." It was later expanded on in THPS4 and further refined in THUG.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Jamesman posted:

I also struggle with audio balancing, and have been working to improve that. In the case of this game, you've got the game audio, my commentary, and the music I'm adding in. I would like to hear your opinions on how it all sounds and if I should make any changes.

Speaking of music, the last Tony Hawk LP I did, I used MIDI files of songs from the first four games in the series. This game's soundtrack doesn't lend itself to doing something similar, and I didn't want to make you listen to the same tracks as the last game, so I opted to use some video game music composed by the super-awesome Tim Follin. Also instead of just letting the music run continuously through the video, I've been cutting out when there is game dialogue, so it's not competing for your attention. Are these things working out for you?

I notice that my introduction videos get fewer views than the first proper video for the LPs. I've been doing these instead of written OP text dumps or talking a bunch at the beginning of the regular videos, so you aren't really missing anything if you just want to get into the LP proper (hence, the "Part 0"), but I want to know your thoughts on if this is working out for you guys, or if you really just prefer stuff written out in the thread. Or if you DO like the intro videos, if there's anything I should do differently for them.

The audio all seems good to me. You and the game both come through fine, and the music is quiet enough that I can hear it without it distracting from whatever else is going on.

Likewise, I'm happy with the intro videos. I watch them, but it's understandable if people don't want to. I think it's to be expected that they'll get fewer views than the main video. My only suggestion would be to do just a paragraph of text in the OP, something concise explaining the game. Really, though, it's not terribly important.

Choco1980 posted:

I hear it often enough :shrug:

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

oh man THUG, i remember this poo poo. pure '90s, with punks and sk8b0rding and everything :allears:

leetspeek, holy poo poo haha

Radio Free Kobold fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Apr 2, 2018

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

This game is just pure, distilled nostalgia for the early 2000s for me. When it came out I was still in middle school, still thinking "Oh yeah, I could probably be a skater!" I had this kid's Star Wars Episode I skateboard that my mom had bought at Walmart years before that I tried to skate around on. I watched the bail videos in the Tony Hawk games so many times.

I never made it past skating in a straight line and making gentle turns around the corner in my neighborhood. Ollies and manuals were completely beyond me.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Making me feel old. I was nearly out of college when this came out.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

SKATER FACTS

Mike Vallely is a punk singer, and one of the songs from his band is in this game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPvDAVPerAg

As a punk singer, he's also very strong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5TTMvY01Is

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

chitoryu12 posted:

As a punk singer, he's also very strong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5TTMvY01Is

Once upon a time, I thought this was really badass. Now, the idea of a guy going off on a group of kids for calling him a fag is just kinda sad. Guess we all gotta grow up sometime.

Now excuse me as I go back to playing video games.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Last I heard of Mike V, he was trying to make wearing a helmet more acceptable, so I guess he's grown into a more positive guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iw0BAwqAEPM

I forget how many times your guy is forced to bail out their rear end in a top hat friend, but we're already past the point where he's a believable friend. If anything Eric should have been Bart.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Actually I think we could use this thread to learn some neat facts about the different skaters we meet and how they got into the sport.

SKATER FACTS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kRTFNU4ZaE

Chad Muska is one of the younger pro skaters in the game, 27 at the time of the game's release. While growing up in Phoenix, he fell in love with skateboarding after his BMX bike got stolen and moved to San Diego with basically no money and a sketchbook. He spent a long time homeless and sleeping on Mission Beach before finally gaining some prominence with the above video in 1998.

One thing we both have in common is a love of footwear, though he trends more toward skate shoes and basketball shoes while I go more toward stuff like SeaVees, Chucks, and weird military surplus stuff. He's still had some issues with authority and maturity as he's grown older, getting arrested in 2011 for spraying graffiti about how awesome he is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u495yUG6dMw

Stacy Peralta doesn't get a whole lot of explanation in the game, and you're just kind of expected to know who he is. He's actually one of the most influential skaters in history, being one of the Z-Boys immortalized in the Lords of Dogtown film. As a young man in the 1970s, Peralta helped codify modern skateboarding by taking the sport from simple street surfing into aerial and lip tricks in empty pools.

Peralta's the old guard, literally, and has generally retired from skating as he's gotten older to become a director instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emissary666
Sep 6, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

Stacy Peralta doesn't get a whole lot of explanation in the game, and you're just kind of expected to know who he is. He's actually one of the most influential skaters in history, being one of the Z-Boys immortalized in the Lords of Dogtown film. As a young man in the 1970s, Peralta helped codify modern skateboarding by taking the sport from simple street surfing into aerial and lip tricks in empty pools.

Peralta's the old guard, literally, and has generally retired from skating as he's gotten older to become a director instead.

THUG has a problem where it assumes that its player base has a certain degree of knowledge about skateboarding. I, and all the rest of my friends who played Tony Hawk, did not have that knowledge. Sometimes, you can figure out things based on the context, but with Peralta, there is nothing to really indicate who he is other than "some important guy"

• Locked thread