Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I kinda liked that about the game(s) though. They don't hit you over the head with info about these guys. They're all just part of the scene and considered important enough to be in the game. If you want to delve more into them or skateboarding as a whole, that's your choice.

THPS2 had bios for each skater, and you can always unlock bonus videos. It woulda been nice if they continued to build on this and have more unlockables to learn more about the people, but it never bothered me that I didn't know Stacy Peralta's history because the game didn't include a free copy of Z-Boys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Emissary666 posted:

THUG has a problem where it assumes that its player base has a certain degree of knowledge about skateboarding. I, and all the rest of my friends who played Tony Hawk, did not have that knowledge. Sometimes, you can figure out things based on the context, but with Peralta, there is nothing to really indicate who he is other than "some important guy"

Guess that's not much of a problem nowadays thanks to Wikipedia. :v:

I was lucky to have friends with more skateboarding knowledge than me.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I thought the game just made up NPCs and gave them stupid names like "Chad Muska" or "Stacy Peralta" until this very moment tbh. It really didn't hurt my enjoyment...

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
We'll Chad Muska has been in every game of the series, so the player would probably know him. I figured Peralta was someone, but didn't think too hard about it since he isn't a playable character.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Just a couple of pieces of shameless whoring, which I hope is OK to bring up here:

-I'm working toward my goal of 100 subscribers so I can get a cool URL and make it easier to share my channel. I'm at 67, so maybe consider subscribing if you haven't already.
-I have a Twitter. If you want, follow me on there and see amazing tweets like this;

https://twitter.com/_James_Games_/status/977396329315028992

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I have always appreciated this game's protagonist for having the unique superpowers of "basic social skills" and "not being a dick" to get him where he wants to be.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Apparently those pyramid ledges are a popular skate spot in real life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v88CtCINbl8

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Simply Simon posted:

I have always appreciated this game's protagonist for having the unique superpowers of "basic social skills" and "not being a dick" to get him where he wants to be.

Don't forget "Doing ridiculous stunts because someone demands it of you."

chitoryu12 posted:

Yeah, they always take real-life skate locations/obstacles and put them into the games. It doesn't work out so hot at times though, because you're modeling replicas of places where people skate like normal humans with normal physics and gravity, and then trying to skate them with your crazy flippy moon man. Kona in THPS4 was particularly bad because of this.

Kibibit
Sep 10, 2009

You must be a friend that's good at shredding!

chitoryu12 posted:

Sadly a huge number of the skate spots listed here in NYC are skateproofed in some way, with the exception of the brooklyn banks, which instead are being used for renovations and have been for quite a while now.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I kinda like the New York level. I once made a custom trick line that made you have to do a series of grinds that went from that blue building with the high ledge, all the way around the level and back again, doing the anchor launch, because the layout is just right where if you know what you're doing you can hit it all.

Also, the Downhill Jam level you showed last from THPS1 is probably my all time LEAST favorite Tony Hawk level. The gaps are weirdly spaced, and the one way track really bothers me. There are extremely few spots where you can turn around like you did at the end with any efficacy.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Choco1980 posted:

Also, the Downhill Jam level you showed last from THPS1 is probably my all time LEAST favorite Tony Hawk level. The gaps are weirdly spaced, and the one way track really bothers me. There are extremely few spots where you can turn around like you did at the end with any efficacy.

Yeah, that and the Mall level were kinda holdovers from when the game was initially a racing-style game. Almost everyone agrees they're not great because they don't mesh with what the games ended up being, yet they kept finding themselves brought back.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

So those "soggy mob flips" you were confused about, I looked it up. A mob flip is just a really sketchy, sloppy kickflip where you push the edge of the board down as you jump. This causes the board to hit the ground before you land on it, which looks lovely.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

chitoryu12 posted:

So those "soggy mob flips" you were confused about, I looked it up. A mob flip is just a really sketchy, sloppy kickflip where you push the edge of the board down as you jump. This causes the board to hit the ground before you land on it, which looks lovely.

Thanks. Had I looked it up I might not have been so confused as to what they were saying, but I didn't really consider that "soggy mob flips" would be a searchable term.

Also wasn't sure if they said "mob" or "mop." This is going to happen a few times because this game doesn't have subtitles and I'm just trying my best.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Jamesman posted:

Yeah, that and the Mall level were kinda holdovers from when the game was initially a racing-style game. Almost everyone agrees they're not great because they don't mesh with what the games ended up being, yet they kept finding themselves brought back.

The Mall isn't as bad because there's a lot of optional stuff to do like skate up in the lights or the little side alcoves that are semi half pipes. The Downhill Jam has some areas with two spots tops, but it's a pain to do both in the same run, and the track railroads you hard.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Choco1980 posted:

The Mall isn't as bad because there's a lot of optional stuff to do like skate up in the lights or the little side alcoves that are semi half pipes. The Downhill Jam has some areas with two spots tops, but it's a pain to do both in the same run, and the track railroads you hard.

Yeah, the Mall doesn't feel as linear because it has some more branching patch, and it's a more gentle slop so you can turn around. Downhill Jam is extremely linear, with the only real branch being that horrible side path to get the hidden tape. Doing all the goals in one run was a pain, but not nearly as bad as what's coming.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
The thing that surprised me the most about that level was that they actually put in climbable ladders. I did not expect this much off-board platforming.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Glazius posted:

The thing that surprised me the most about that level was that they actually put in climbable ladders. I did not expect this much off-board platforming.

Oh yeah, and for at least the next two sequels they really lean into it hard. Like there's all kinds of weird spots to skate that you can't actually get to on your board.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
They added just enough to make getting off your board worthwhile, even by incorporating it as a move to be chained into combos. It improves your ability to control your skater, and now that levels are bigger and more open, it also has a significant positive impact on your ability to explore.

A couple gripes about it is that you still move like you're on a skateboard, like with everything in this game, and that trying to walk instead of run with the analog stick is a pain (but really, you should be playing Tony Hawk games with the D-pad anyway).

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

I wanna thank everyone who saw my last update and decided it was a good time to subscribe. That was a nice boost I got over the past week and it brings me closer to achieving my dreams. :)

This video marks the end of the THPS1 levels. THPS2 is a bit more complicated, so the objective changed to completing levels in 2 runs instead of 1. Most of the levels CAN be done in a single run, but it's far beyond my skill level to pull off the strategies needed to do that. Two runs is more reasonable while still challenging; you need to plan what objectives and icons to get for each run to make sure you give yourself enough time to do them.

THPS3 is hopefully going to be single runs again, but we'll see.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Haha, Roswell. Such an a-hole move to make the level you probably want to explore the most in the game instead be a tourney stage. I and some friends used a gameshark back in the day to create low gravity super jumps, and discovered there were spots beyond the fence where you could land without counting as an out of bounds bail, but they were all tiny patches of flat ground you couldn't actually even move in.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
The weird thing about Roswell is there are a few gaps that feel really difficult, if not completely impossible, to pull off even with full stats. There's a code to boost your stats even higher, and it almost feels like the level was designed with those in mind instead.

Maybe I'm just really poo poo, but I wanted to have a bit more variety in runs and just couldn't do the things I wanted to do.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

I didn't know Roswell was a level. Heh.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

The Tampa Am we're entering into actually takes place in a skatepark that you will have seen before if you played Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2x. One of the exclusive levels added for the game was the Tampa Am competition level, and the version in this game is almost exactly like that one. Unfortunately I can't find any good videos showing it off.

Anyway, I haven't recorded past Tampa yet. THPS3 needs different graphical settings to look right, so instead of swapping settings back and forth, I've been focusing on finishing up THPS3 before going back to THUG. I've got two levels to go, but I honestly don't know if I'll be able to work out a way to get everything in a single run for either of them.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

I really hope we don't do any more favours for Eric after this. gently caress that guy so much.

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

Eric should have been left in prison. He's that friend that will jump down from the bridge into the river, for funsies, and tries to talk you into the same, but with added ball n chain.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Radio Free Kobold posted:

I really hope we don't do any more favours for Eric after this. gently caress that guy so much.

Hahahaha

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Don't worry, I'm sure he'll turn over a new leaf after how much trouble he's caused for Bart.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

We'll stop bailing him out (literally and figuratively) soon enough, but that won't mean we'll be free of his bullshit.

Speaking of bullshit, I've been trying to do all these old-school runs without bailing at all, but I left the one for School II in because that level was so loving hard and I was doing so good for once and didn't wanna start over again.

Edit: What makes the THPS2 levels so hard is that it simply wasn't designed to have all 10 goals doable in a single run, even though this is actually possible for every level except School II. The levels are quite large and the different goals are very spread out. THPS1's levels were much smaller and you only have 5 goals to worry about. THPS3's levels are comparable in size to THPS2, but they were clearly designed with the idea in mind that all goals could be done in a single run. Plus you don't have cash scattered everywhere to pick up (although I am getting all the stat points and decks which really makes things harder).

To get everything in one run in THPS2, you need to pull off some serious speedrun strats, have really good reflexes, and be very lucky. It wasn't reasonable for me to do the levels in a single run, so I opted to get everything in two runs, which gave me a little more breathing room, but comes with its own issues of sorting out which things to get in which runs so that I can get everything with minimal screwing around AND make sure I didn't overload a run with stuff to do.

School II is MASSIVE and everything is spread out in different paths that might also be convenient for getting other goals, but impossible for every goal. You have to do a lot of doubling-back and straying a bit from the path to get multiple goals in a single run, like you see me do here, but that all adds up and results in just not enough time. School II has no less than five different paths to start off from, each with something to collect as part of a goal.

Long story short, gently caress School II.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Apr 15, 2018

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

I guess you could say you're too cool for School II :cool:

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

In case it wasn't obvious to anyone else, the mayor Jed character is a reference to Jeb Bush, Florida's governor at the time

Kibibit
Sep 10, 2009

You must be a friend that's good at shredding!
That last line in the opening cutscene takes a distinctly creepier tone if your Create-a-skater is a woman. The motions he makes at the same time doesn't help.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I don't remember, do any of the goals show off the secret of the strip club? That the roof is break able and the inside is a big bowl with strippers dancing in it

Also isn't the alley you briefly showed behind the club where the Goat Fucker shown in the intro video is? For those that don't know, at least from THPS4 through THAW, there's a Goat Fucker hidden somewhere in each game...that being a guy standing directly behind a goat, practically against it, being super excited. I never played past THAW so I don't know if he's still around after, but I wouldn't be shocked if he were.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

SKATER FACTS

Eric Koston is another of the original THPS skaters. His father was in the US Air Force and stationed overseas when he fell in love with a local Thai woman, so Eric is a Thai-American born in Thailand (funny enough, in the exact same hospital as pro skater and shoe designer Alphonzo Rawls). Along with his skating, he's expanded into clothing and shoe brands, a privately owned skate park, and even part ownership of the Saint Archer Brewing Company.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWSZFqxwf9U

I'm pretty sure that "Thomas" that the skate park sign-up guy was fist bumping is Jamie Thomas. He's the owner and founder of Zero, one of the prominent skateboard companies in this game. He garnered notoriety for attempting to ollie down an 18 foot drop at Point Loma High School; as his jump technically failed due to his board snapping in half, dozens of skaters attempted it until the stairs were blocked off in 2005. These steps are included in the School II level in THPS2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pdoADutGZg

Bam Margera is probably the only pro skater better known for his non-skating ventures. Nicknamed "Bam Bam" as a child for his habit of running into walls on purpose, Bam turned his self-destructive behavior into a career as part of the original Jackass crew. On a more positive note, his close friendship with Ville Valo of HIM (possibly through their shared alcoholism and self-destructive tendencies) allowed the gothic rock band to get their foot in the door in the United States and become the biggest Finnish band of all time before their disbanding this past New Year's Eve.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wP8V_Jel0k4

Andrew Reynolds is the co-founder and now sole owner of Baker Skateboards. He got his pro start when Tony Hawk called him to recruit him for Birdhouse, his personal skating company. He's a bit of a weird dude: while he gave up drugs and alcohol in his mid-20s and even stopped smoking after his daughter was born, he possibly suffers from mild obsessive-compulsive disorder that manifests in ritually tapping objects or saying unusual phrases before performing tricks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWUHOpHII4A

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Choco1980 posted:

I don't remember, do any of the goals show off the secret of the strip club? That the roof is break able and the inside is a big bowl with strippers dancing in it

Also isn't the alley you briefly showed behind the club where the Goat Fucker shown in the intro video is? For those that don't know, at least from THPS4 through THAW, there's a Goat Fucker hidden somewhere in each game...that being a guy standing directly behind a goat, practically against it, being super excited. I never played past THAW so I don't know if he's still around after, but I wouldn't be shocked if he were.

I don't believe the bowl is directly involved in any goals. It's just a little spot and nothing really that special.

And yes, the alley behind the strip club is where you find this game's goat. The one in THPS4 was found in the Carnival level behind a game stand. I can't recall if there were any goats in Project 8 or Proving Ground, but I also loathed those games and didn't really spend a lot of time with them. Just beat them and moved on.

chitoryu12 posted:

I'm pretty sure that "Thomas" that the skate park sign-up guy was fist bumping is Jamie Thomas.

Yes it is. Although with how confusing that line of dialogue was for me, I did look to see if there was a skater called Tomas V, which there is not.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Apr 15, 2018

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

So as a kid I remember there is the secret pool in school 2. Me snd my brother never figured out hoe to unlock it

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

bunnyofdoom posted:

So as a kid I remember there is the secret pool in school 2. Me snd my brother never figured out hoe to unlock it

You open up the gym by grinding the Opunsezmee rail (the one with the A letter above it) about 20 seconds after starting the level, when the bell's ringing. Such an obscure way to unlock a hidden area. You only NEED to do this if you're completing the gap list though.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Hey man, just wanted to chime in and say how much I appreciate your Tony Hawk LP's. There's something very zen about watching someone competently play the games, and you have a nice, low-key commentating style that makes for good ambience. Keep up the awesome work.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Jamesman posted:

You open up the gym by grinding the Opunsezmee rail (the one with the A letter above it) about 20 seconds after starting the level, when the bell's ringing. Such an obscure way to unlock a hidden area. You only NEED to do this if you're completing the gap list though.

Isn't opening the pool one of the goals when the level is brought back for classic mode in THAW? Also, I want to say that every level in THPS2 has a secret area, doesn't it?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Fart City posted:

Hey man, just wanted to chime in and say how much I appreciate your Tony Hawk LP's. There's something very zen about watching someone competently play the games, and you have a nice, low-key commentating style that makes for good ambience. Keep up the awesome work.

Appreciate it very much. I don't think the old LPs aged very well and wanted to tackle the levels again and challenge myself to do them competently, so I hope I'm doing something good with them. :)

Choco1980 posted:

Isn't opening the pool one of the goals when the level is brought back for classic mode in THAW? Also, I want to say that every level in THPS2 has a secret area, doesn't it?

School II isn't a level for Classic Mode in any of the games that I'm aware of. It's "remade" in THPS HD but it's the same goals as in THPS2.

Destructible environments and hidden areas show up in THPS2 and continue on after that. They vary in how useful they are and how necessary they are for completion, but I wouldn't say they're in every level of THPS2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I have no idea where I got the Classic Mode idea from. Looking it up I see that you can unlock the level for free mode in this very game, along with the Hanger and Venice Beach, and iirc they all count if you want to get 100% gaps. That said, the pool is unlocked by default.

• Locked thread