Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Choco1980 posted:

I have no idea where I got the Classic Mode idea from. Looking it up I see that you can unlock the level for free mode in this very game, along with the Hanger and Venice Beach, and iirc they all count if you want to get 100% gaps. That said, the pool is unlocked by default.

Yeah, School II is the level we picked up back in Jersey. I dunno if they count for the gap list or not, but I can show them off as bonuses once I use up all my THPS2 and 3 footage.

Someone in Discord suggested I use speedruns as a guide for these runs. I actually do (and have some great recommendations to share later on), but there are complications with that.

In speedruns, going a full two minutes might not be as efficient/fast as doing one thing, restarting, then doing another thing. For example, the School II, you might see someone get those first two cash icons that I did, and instead of continuing on and backtracking to the start, they'll restart because it's faster. I'm going for a challenge of getting everything in a single run (or two runs, in the case of THPS2) and effectively using my time to get everything, rather than straight-up speedrunning.

Things get even more difficult in THPS3. You can complete the goals in every level in a single run, but there are stat points and decks to collect in every level, which speedrunners ignore, but I am also getting in my run challenges. On top of that, THPS3 has a unique implementation where every skater will have a different combination of locations for SKATE letters, stats, and decks, and you will have a different goal depending on if your skater is vert or street. I'm using a different skater for every level, whereas they go with a single street character, which means always doing street goals, and what they feel is an ideal SKATE layout for the whole game. I tried to pick skaters whose layouts weren't terrible for each level, but as I get further into the game, my choices are much more limited and I get stuck with some extremely difficult setups, especially the last level which I was determined to do with Tony Hawk as a bookend (start with Tony in THPS1, end with Tony in THPS3).

However, watching the routes they plan and seeing how much time it takes them does inspire me to try following similar routes if I can, and gives me an idea of how much room I have to play around and add those stats and decks into the run. If a speedrunner does a level in a minute, I might think to myself "well, maybe I can do it in a minute and a half, and have 30 seconds to squeeze those other items into the run."

You will see how fine the line is between success and failure, for sure. That is, if all my footage has turned out right, which I won't know for sure until I edit it for later videos.

Games are supposed to relieve you of stress not give you stress. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I hope you left the sound effects ON for the final level (and turned off music, natch)--that's the best part. Also there's the audio easter egg if you break all the glass in the atrium windows/roof

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Choco1980 posted:

I hope you left the sound effects ON for the final level (and turned off music, natch)--that's the best part. Also there's the audio easter egg if you break all the glass in the atrium windows/roof

Yeah, I've only turned the music off for obvious reasons. Unfortunately I don't exactly have time to go out of my way to trigger every little thing I would like to show off in the levels, but I did try to trigger a few different things here and there.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

That's fair. I'd say it takes quite a while to get that thing I spoiler text mentioned. But on the bright side, its effects are permanent on the save file.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Did these older games have an unlimited-time free-skate mode, or was it all timed challenges? Some of these places really look like they need some exploring.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Glazius posted:

Did these older games have an unlimited-time free-skate mode, or was it all timed challenges? Some of these places really look like they need some exploring.

I know THPS2 has a free-play mode in which the player may skate without any given objective but I don't know if that carried over to subsequent games.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I think all of them starting with 2 had free skate or a full open world environment, minus Downhill Jam.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
They all have Free Skate options to explore levels and experiment without any time limits or goals.

When the games became "open-world" style with THPS4 on, they kinda integrate Free Skate into the career mode just by their nature, but you still have an option to play Free Skate mode without any goals available. You can even play Single Session modes and try to set a high score in a level within 2 minutes, which was also available in THPS1-3.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Barring any kind of surprises with the videos during editing, I finally finished my runs of THPS1-3, so I'll be getting back to recording THUG now.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

So yeah, that's a real skate park in Tampa just called the Skatepark of Tampa.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_ByKXEGqik

SKATER FACTS

Ryan Clements is a Tampa native who attends a lot of local events. He's not a major pro by any means, but he was instrumental in the formation of the Skatepark of Tampa and is a major part of The Boardr, a skateboard shop that also works to create and host many competitions. It's a cool shout out from Neversoft when he could have easily been replaced by a generic NPC or another pro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7G92hHKhzbE

If you don't know who Tony Hawk is, you're probably not the audience for this game. Tony Hawk is the single most famous skateboarder in the world, the one that anyone and their mother can name if they can only name one professional skateboarder. Tony predominately does vert skating (skating on ramps and half-pipes, as opposed to street skating in random public locations) and is most famous for being the first skater confirmed to land a 900 degree spin; he was beaten in 2012 by 12-year-old Tom Schaar, who performed a 1080 degree spin.. He's extremely intelligent as well as energetic, and his company Birdhouse is still running today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnvPt_a7iOQ

The British guy in the suit who appears at the end is Geoff Rowley of Liverpool, former co-owner of Flip. When he got his start in 1989, Liverpool had basically no skate culture and extremely slim pickings for parts, so he had to even skate without griptape for a while. Rowley was arrested in 2009 after illegally performing a flip trick across two roofs, but Flip managed to retain the footage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yC9nNhZB-E

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I remember Tony Hawk actually cameo'd in an episode of Rocket Power where he was rumored to be retiring so the main characters went to his personal skate park to talk to him only to learn that he was just taking a break and they were even allowed to board with him.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

For the record, I always go with Zero, just because I'm a sucker for skulls.

Also, you forgot to mention that when you pick a team, you unlock their layout for the pause and title menus, as well as all their gear. Just a small little detail, but it's fun.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Choco1980 posted:

Also, you forgot to mention that when you pick a team, you unlock their layout for the pause and title menus, as well as all their gear. Just a small little detail, but it's fun.

I do mention it in the next video, but like you said, it's a small detail you'll almost never see or notice.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Chimera-gui posted:

I remember Tony Hawk actually cameo'd in an episode of Rocket Power where he was rumored to be retiring so the main characters went to his personal skate park to talk to him only to learn that he was just taking a break and they were even allowed to board with him.

I remember that episode! It was garbage, much like the rest of rocket power.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMMHmlOExNQ

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
This talk about Tony Hawk in a cartoon made me remember that Tony Hawk was a guest star on The Simpsons.

Pro Skater Bart is canon!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ql64QCiQsVQ

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Aw, what a nice Cinderella story we have going here.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
"Four guys wearing the same clothing" is historically a decent look for a band, but the choice here was a little puzzling, I have to admit.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
I just thought it was funny because the randomizer managed to pick 4 of the same person. One is wearing slightly different clothes, so he's the bad boy of the group.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I never knew about that "Do the trick list" exploit where you could just keep a combo going. I always thought it had to be done over the horse.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I believe Venice Beach in THPS2 is the first time Ollie the Magic Bum appears, he's a series regular, we saw him in New Jersey, chasing down his "house" at the train tracks.

Also I think this is the first time in the LP (but not in the series) Officer Dick has appeared. As far as I know, he's a fictional character, but I always thought he was inspired by the police officer that's a skating fan in the classic "In Search of Animal Chin" tape. (A video by Powell-Perralta made in the 80s of a bunch of skaters, including many in this game, skating all over the world, and is regarded as the best skating video ever)

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Choco1980 posted:

I believe Venice Beach in THPS2 is the first time Ollie the Magic Bum appears, he's a series regular, we saw him in New Jersey, chasing down his "house" at the train tracks.

Also I think this is the first time in the LP (but not in the series) Officer Dick has appeared. As far as I know, he's a fictional character, but I always thought he was inspired by the police officer that's a skating fan in the classic "In Search of Animal Chin" tape. (A video by Powell-Perralta made in the 80s of a bunch of skaters, including many in this game, skating all over the world, and is regarded as the best skating video ever)

Here's the full movie if you want to watch, including a young Tony Hawk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ULjSuzhs6E

30 years later, the Bones Brigade reunited on a reconstruction of the finale ramp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k51n4hhmu6w

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Apr 23, 2018

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

chitoryu12 posted:

I never knew about that "Do the trick list" exploit where you could just keep a combo going. I always thought it had to be done over the horse.

Usually, the game is just checking that the gap is in the same combo as a trick, so if you keep a combo going it will register all the tricks. This also worked in THPS4.

There are some instance where it won't work, where it's specifically checking that things are being done in a specific order with no breaks. The Wallplant-to-Manual goal from the last level cannot has to be done with a wallplant directly into a manual, instead of doing something like getting off your board and getting a running start to ride down the hill faster. I'm pretty sure all the "do the trick" missions can be done this way though, and some have to.

By the way, there's a code you can put into THPS2 (and 3) where it unlocks different custom skaters. Who can guess who this handsome fella is shredding up Venice?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

SKATER FACTS

Paul Rodriguez Jr., nicknamed "P-Rod", is probably most known for his X Games performances and being the son of Paul Rodriguez Sr., stand-up comedian and part owner of the Laugh Factory in Hollywood where Michael Richards infamously dropped N-bombs. He's probably the youngest skater in the game, only 20 at the time of its release. While he wants to expand into acting like his father, he's spent a large part of his career co-founding or becoming the owner of a ton of skateboarding, clothing, shoe, and accessory brands. He's one of the co-founders of St. Archer Brewing along with Eric Koston.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_Z6YoTLBQc

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

That does it for THPS2, and we're now roughly halfway done with the game. I think for the THPS3 levels I'm gonna do one level at the end of each video instead of two.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels
It took me way too long to connect 'Ralphie' with 'Triple Dog Dare'. I am ashamed.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Not going to show off the Secret level that unlocks upon completion of THPS2?

Also, Private Carrera is another character like Officer Dick that has been around as a secret since part 1 and is in fact, not a real person. I'm pretty sure they just wanted a "sexy girl" skater included.

Also I'm eager for Hawaii, I always liked that level, it has some interesting things to do in it if you explore.

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

Why you took Eric, Tony? He didn't do anything! Do you want sudden and inexplicable fire to happen to all the team's boards?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

NHO posted:

Why you took Eric, Tony? He didn't do anything! Do you want sudden and inexplicable fire to happen to all the team's boards?

We went with Jamie Thomas' team, Zero, not Hawk, Tony's not our founder :colbert:

Speaking of pros, it's a nice touch in the video that we keep interacting with the same generic guy that's supposedly a pro. Also, him showing us the deck designs on the plane is a subtle lampshading that we can design our own board logo once WE hit pro level.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Choco1980 posted:

Not going to show off the Secret level that unlocks upon completion of THPS2?

Also, Private Carrera is another character like Officer Dick that has been around as a secret since part 1 and is in fact, not a real person. I'm pretty sure they just wanted a "sexy girl" skater included.

Also I'm eager for Hawaii, I always liked that level, it has some interesting things to do in it if you explore.

The secret levels don't have any goals, so I don't feel like there's anything to really show off. There's a bunch of bonus stuff I could address, but I don't really know if I want to be that extensive.

Even though she wasn't based on a real person, supposedly, according to this interview, adult film star Asia Carrera ended up involved during development of THPS2 because of the name. The character's likeness wasn't change to Asia's, so I'm not sure where exactly she was added to the game. Maybe she's briefly seen in one of the FMVs or something.

I'm not a big fan of Hawaii, but I'll lay that out in the video when we get there.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I think THPS3 is where my childhood memories of the series really started in earnest. I only had the demo version of the first game, so my first real experience was 3 on the Gamecube and the 2X remake on the Xbox.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

My childhood memories are thps1 and 2. Then a long break til my brother came home for Christmas with THUG. So like those are my three nostalgia gamez

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
I've mentioned it before, but THPS and skateboarding were barely on my radar. I'm not really sure what lead me to tune in, but the first time I watched skateboarding was the day Tony landed the 900. I then continued to not watch.

About a year later, there was an article in Official PlayStation Magazine about THPS2, and it sounded like a really interesting game. Decided to rent the first one from Blockbuster to see if I'd enjoy the sequel, and I had so much fun with the first one, that after returning the rental, I went out and bought a copy to keep playing. Eventually a demo for THPS2 was released and I played the hell out of that until the full game came out.

After that I started playing a bit more attention to skateboarding too, but then stopped following after a few years. Still have all my DVDs of Tony Hawk's Gigantic Skatepark Tour, which people have kindly shared on YouTube if you ever feel inclined to binge watch some skateboarding from... almost 20 years ago gently caress I'm old.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I had a friend that had the first two games and we'd fart around from time to time on them among other games, but once I was in college, 3 came out on PS2, and playing with friends convinced me it was a good purchase for me, and I stuck with the series through THAW.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

THPS3 did not have native widescreen, but there's a widescreen patch that works with the emulator. It's not perfect though, so you might notice that sometimes the game is stretched to fit instead, usually after a cutscene transition.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

SKATER FACTS

Rodney Mullen is sometimes viewed as the Tony Hawk of street skating, but he may very well be the single most influential modern skateboarder ever. He's been credited with the invention of the kickflip, heelflip, impossible flip, 360 flip, casper slide, and 540 flip (among many other tricks) and the first use of ollies off of flat ground instead of a way of getting more air off a ramp. Without Mullen, the kind of skateboarding in this game would not exist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6mJc7yeKPg

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

I sure hope that we won't get Eric's stupid help this time.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

NHO posted:

I sure hope that we won't get Eric's stupid help this time.

Eric just sets the entirety of Oahu on fire.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

A little disappointed that the Foundry recap didn't show off the unlocked room with all the free time you had left, but it's no big deal, there's nothing special in there, just a few ramps and stuff.

Will you be showing off the pointless but cool secret in Hawaii?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Choco1980 posted:

A little disappointed that the Foundry recap didn't show off the unlocked room with all the free time you had left, but it's no big deal, there's nothing special in there, just a few ramps and stuff.

Will you be showing off the pointless but cool secret in Hawaii?

In retrospect, I could have used a few seconds to do some celebratory spins in the bowl, but I've been more focused on showing something resembling competent gameplay as opposed to showing the levels off and was more thrilled with finishing the level with 40 seconds left and not thinking about what else to do with that remaining time. I'd already done that a long time ago, so by revisiting these games, I wanted to do something different and hadn't thought much about exploration. That said, most levels have goals or cash/stats/decks the require going all over the levels, and the Foundry just ended up being one of the exceptions.

Meanwhile with THUG, by trying to incorporate gaps and doing every goal, I'd like to think exploration and showing levels off has a bit more focus as a result. If you're talking about the tiki statue, I need to show that in order to get the old school level, so yes that will be there. If there's something else, then I'm afraid I don't know about it.

• Locked thread