Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Couple things:

I'm like two episodes away from finishing all the levels from the classic games. After that, I think I'll just have quick gap videos for the classic levels you unlock in this game, and then I'll have one or two episodes for the bonus level you unlock.

Also I'm gonna beg for subscribers again real quick because something like 80% of my views are from non-subs and last time I asked I got a nice boost, and I'm SO close to 100 and it'd just be nice thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Sheesh, I forgot how exaggerated Wolverine's mask was in THPS3.

Also, there's a secret little easter egg in Suburbia much like the one we saw in Hawaii, only with no rewards. If you stop and look at the front door to the "Thin Man's" house, it'll occasionally open and shut just a small amount on its own. It's all dark inside with some glowing eyes. You can jump into the opening for a creepy little bail. Also, iirc, isn't there some fun spooky background details in the little passage up top that led to the secret tape? I'm almost positive there's at least spooky sound effects if you can manage to stop up there (something not easy with the inertia of getting there)

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I was wondering about the Wallows in Hawaii because that name seems too exact and unusual. Turns out it's the ditch in Honolulu where the first part of The Search for Animal Chin was filmed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5kxIZWPTTg

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Choco1980 posted:

Sheesh, I forgot how exaggerated Wolverine's mask was in THPS3.

Also, there's a secret little easter egg in Suburbia much like the one we saw in Hawaii, only with no rewards. If you stop and look at the front door to the "Thin Man's" house, it'll occasionally open and shut just a small amount on its own. It's all dark inside with some glowing eyes. You can jump into the opening for a creepy little bail. Also, iirc, isn't there some fun spooky background details in the little passage up top that led to the secret tape? I'm almost positive there's at least spooky sound effects if you can manage to stop up there (something not easy with the inertia of getting there)

There's a little room on the side where a guy is being terrorized by a floating coffin.

chitoryu12 posted:

I was wondering about the Wallows in Hawaii because that name seems too exact and unusual. Turns out it's the ditch in Honolulu where the first part of The Search for Animal Chin was filmed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5kxIZWPTTg

I believe The Wallows also appeared in THPS2 as part of Skate Heaven, where it was referred to as The Sadlands.

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

Update, part 13, hit youtube.
Now I am just watching it and waiting to see how Eric destroyed our Hawaii footage.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

secret preview of the new video because I'll be out of town over the weekend

SKATER FACTS

Bob Burnquist is our resident Brazilian, born in Rio De Janeiro to an American father and Brazilian mother. He got his start skating in Sao Paulo as a kid before moving to the United States, where he began medaling in the X Games. He became the first skateboarder to land a "fake 900" (rotating in the opposite direction of the natural rotation you'd have off a ramp) and the fifth verified person to land a 900 at all. He's very into organic food and ecological awareness, and his Action Sports Environmental Coalition even worked with Chipotle to provide healthy and organic fast food.

One of the most prominent parts of his lifestyle is Dreamland, the California home that he turned into his own private skate park. A giant ramp to cross a 70 foot gap into a quarterpipe, a vert bowl, and a loop are only some of the features on Bob's property.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qoleJOfiQc

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

NHO posted:

Update, part 13, hit youtube.
Now I am just watching it and waiting to see how Eric destroyed our Hawaii footage.

I've just been trying out putting videos up a day or two before posting here to learn more about incoming traffic, and as a sort of "thanks" for people subscribing or following me on Twitter.

Anyway, I was wrong about The Wallows and The Sadlands being the same thing. The Sadlands is a real place and has no connection to Wallows, and they're both in Skate Heaven. I considered doing a runthrough of Skate Heaven to show off the different areas, but I can't place every section and can't give any real information about the stuff, so it would just be a lovely video of me going "Here's this. I don't know what it's from."

I'll lay out the different sections here though;

Plexi-Glass Halfpipe - ???
Snake Run - ??? The only iconic snake run I know of is Kona, seen in THPS4, but the design here is significantly different.
Fullpipe - ??? Might be based on the fullpipe from Pipeline.
Tony's House/Island - ??? Tony's house(s) have had skate areas built at them, but I can't find anything that resembles the ramps in this area.
San Dieguito Stairs - A stairset and rail that was part of San Dieguito High School and received a lot of attention from the street skating scene for its reasonable size and angle.
The Sadlands - A park in Anaheim that whose design was inspired by the moon's surface. Not intended to be a skate spot, but became iconic for the early scene.
The Wallows - As seen in THUG, a long, kinked bank in Hawaii.
Animal Chin - A ramp that became the focus of the 1987 movie "The Search for Animal Chin."
Combi Bowls - A series of connected bowls from Pipeline, a skate park from the 80's.

Also I think instead of doing bonus content tacked onto the videos, the stuff for the bonus levels will end up being their own bonus videos.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 23:45 on May 10, 2018

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Oh hey, the next level is Vancouver. I wonder how much of downtown I'll recognize?

There's the big hotel, the court, the art gallery...I guess the big round building is BC Place. Looks like we start out right at the Robson underground mall. Neato.

Radio Free Kobold fucked around with this message at 00:35 on May 11, 2018

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

That underground ice rink is actually a real thing.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Vancouver is such a pain for finding gaps. Like, it's an okay level to explore, but there's a lot of pain stuff in it. That third thief for example can totally skate out of bounds which is bs.

In THPS3, remember that suburbia door thing I mentioned? If you do it with Demoness, the bail message changes to "Welcome Home". Also before you get his ax, the Thin Man reacts to her the way male NPCs react to Carrera, which is to say they get goofy and start saying things like "'sup?" lamely trying to look cool.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Radio Free Kobold posted:

That underground ice rink is actually a real thing.

Lots of stuff in the games is taken directly from real-world locations, usually popular skate spots or just iconic landmarks. It doesn't surprise me that the ice rink is based on a real area.

Choco1980 posted:

Vancouver is such a pain for finding gaps. Like, it's an okay level to explore, but there's a lot of pain stuff in it. That third thief for example can totally skate out of bounds which is bs.

I never had any of them skate out of bounds on me, so I guess I'm lucky.

The gaps weren't too bad to pull off, but it was just frustrating that I felt like I couldn't find any good ways to implement them into the goals or in between goals. Threw me off a little, but I'll talk about that more in the next video.

:siren:HEY GUESS WHAT CHECK THIS poo poo OUT!:siren:

At the end of March, Slateman put out a book all about the Tony Hawk series. If you don't know who that is, Slateman used to run PlanetTonyHawk, which was THE definitive website for the games. I had a pretty good relationship with him back in the day, so it's nice to see he's still around and still has a fondness for the games.

GO BUY IT

If you wanna know a little more about the books, our buddy Rad Rat put up a video reviewing it and sharing some of the info that is in the book.

GO WATCH IT

If you enjoyed my THPS LPs from ages past, or if you enjoyed my THPS4 LP, or if you're enjoying this LP, there's a pretty good chance you like these games and would want a nice comprehensive resource all about them, right? Had I known about this sooner, I woulda already owned the book and incorporated its info into the LP... So it's probably a good thing I didn't because we'd be here forever. Gotta save that kinda insanity-inducing thoroughness for another series I'm going to do...

Maybe I'll FINALLY learn why so many of those gaps in Skater Island are references to Coyote Ugly!

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 13:12 on May 11, 2018

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Man, that Nollie/Pressure flip mission was dire. Worst of all, I don't think I ever used Nollies or Pressure Flips (which.. didn't seem to involve a flip?) the entire time I played the game. I don't remember them actually doing anything other than giving you a single different move to start the combo with.

I'm totally getting that book, by the way. I played the hell out of these games as a kid, so finding out more about them is a nice way to recapture that.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

What even is a pressure flip?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Momomo posted:

Man, that Nollie/Pressure flip mission was dire. Worst of all, I don't think I ever used Nollies or Pressure Flips (which.. didn't seem to involve a flip?) the entire time I played the game. I don't remember them actually doing anything other than giving you a single different move to start the combo with.

You only ever need to do them for this mission, and then you can continue forgetting about them. I think the thing for me is that I never really associate ollies as being tricks in their own right, focusing more on flips, grabs, grinds, etc and just using ollies to set those up. Never really felt the need to differentiate between HOW I jump unless I wanna do a Boneless for more height/distance. Also, needing to prep with a button press, and those buttons being the L buttons which my brain completely ignores with the Tony Hawk games. It's a neat little addition for variety, but ultimately useless unless you wanna go out of your way to mix things up.

chitoryu12 posted:

What even is a pressure flip?

Rat Rat got you covered; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7bcpC2uF-4

The short of it, to my understanding, is regular-style flips tricks are done with one foot popping the board up, and the other foot causing a flip. Pressure flips are done all with the same foot.

JordanStiva
Jan 14, 2015
Man, I played the hell out of this game when I was younger but I have no recollection of the actual missions/goals being so...lazy. In my head, I remember things being way more involved than just "Get this score" or "do this trick"

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

JordanStiva posted:

Man, I played the hell out of this game when I was younger but I have no recollection of the actual missions/goals being so...lazy. In my head, I remember things being way more involved than just "Get this score" or "do this trick"

When they transitioned to the larger, open-style gameplay, they still stuck with the goals designed for the smaller, classic style. It does sometimes clash, but I think the better ones are the goals that make use of lines in the level design and/or encourage exploration. My memory of later games isn't that good, so I can't say if they continue to improve.

Just wanna talk a little bit more about the THPS3 levels in this video;

-I "cheated" and used save-scumming to eventually finish the Airport. I kept running into so many "choke points" that I couldn't consistently do a decent run. Even with that, you saw how close it came to the end. I will end up doing this again because, despite previous claims, I'm not that good at games. See if you can spot all the times I stitched together two parts!

-As I mentioned earlier, Skater Island has MANY, MANY gaps that are references to the movie Coyote Ugly. The majority of gaps in the building are references, and I have never been able to figure out why. There are no connections between the level and the movie. Piper Perabo is not a secret character in the game. Did the person naming the gaps have some personal connection to the movie? Did they just like the movie? Were they watching it daily on Starz Theatre while they played Castlevania: Circle of the Moon on their dark-as-poo poo Game Boy Advance farming for the last few cards they needed?

Ben Carsons Ghost
Oct 27, 2007

The airport was the first time I got a million points in a run, I took Rodney Mullen around the baggage claim for a good minute or two after time ran out. I was so proud I saved the video on my memory card.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Ben Carsons Ghost posted:

The airport was the first time I got a million points in a run, I took Rodney Mullen around the baggage claim for a good minute or two after time ran out. I was so proud I saved the video on my memory card.

It's funny to see how the points escalated with each new installment. You'd have to be some incredible player that knew a bunch of exploits to get 1 million points in the first game. Now they're just asking you to do it like it's basic stuff.

Hey, would anyone be interested if I streamed Deponia again this upcoming weekend? I did two streams of it a while ago (on my channel), and thought I might give it another shot.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

My best memory of the Airport was my first time playing online in a TH game (I want to say it's THAW? that the level is available). Anyways, we're playing a tag style game where there's two teams, and you have to hit members of the other team like, 5 times, or throw stuff at them (a feature that becomes available in THUG2) to "tag" them before they're out. Somehow I wound up the only person alive on my team because I was off farting around like, in the baggage claim or something, and there's like, 5 members of the other team still alive. Two of them track me down and start chasing me, so I'm like "crap!" and take off. Apparently the other 3 were just hanging out by the entrance, including a bikini girl skinned player that totally wasn't really playing (a far too common occurrence in the online THPS community I would find). So I'm sitting there, flying down the level, grinding on the people movers and stuff, and I go to leap over those stragglers heads, and completely whiff, and fly full speed straight into the bikini girl's head. Every single player and spectator (you can watch once you're out) just bust out laughing, and it suddenly changes the dynamic to me trying to continually hit their "queen" while avoiding them. I managed to do it two or three times more too. Fun times.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

That does it for THPS1, 2, and 3. This proved to be way more difficult and stressful than I had originally anticipated, partly because I just didn't have a good enough memory regarding how challenging it would be to do everything in one (or two) runs. Having to resort to save-scumming on some of these last levels was a bit disappointing, but it was way better than continuing to attempt these runs for hours on end. All the planning that went into getting goals AND stats/decks took a very long time, and even WITH cheesing things at times, I still barely managed to make it work. Just getting that final jump in the Cruise Ship took an incredibly long time.

And now it's explicitly clear that the custom skater I was using was Joel Jewett, president of Neversoft. May his mustache live on forever.

I mentioned speedrunners before and how I watched them for guidance, so I thought I'd share some more about that. SilentStreams is a speedrunner that mostly focuses on THUG and fucks around with different glitches/exploits, and he has been doing a nice little series showcasing some other speedrunners and their history with the games, and I'd recommend those videos if you wanna know more about the speedrunning scene. Also by looking up these guys, you should be able to find recordings of their runs, either on their own channels or from GDQ events or from Twitch archives. Just be aware, if you care about the EXCITING STORY of THUG, you might see spoilers if you watch that game.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Man, gently caress Eric Sparrow

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I can never forget the awkward "What you got?" delivery at 17:12.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
We've all probably known an Eric Sparrow in our lives. Hearing smug Ben Diskin years later is something else, I gotta say.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I forgot about that flat as hell guy in LA lol.

Also, the Vancouver Tape was the first time I legit ran into trouble with a faq, as it explained it horribly.

Finally, the cruise secret I mentioned earlier is, if you shatter all the glass in that greenhouse deck in a single run, over the pa you hear the captain get in a fight and a NEW captain takes over with a far more sarcastic voice, yet all the same lines. This persists on that save file permanently.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
They crammed so many details into pro skater 3 its surreal. For example: breaking all of the glass on the cruise ship causes a different sea captain to beat up the old one and take his place. Theres also things like the bonus characters having different interactions when standing next to NPC's. I could go on, but I'd need to load it up again for myself to get it all.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

chitoryu12 posted:

I can never forget the awkward "What you got?" delivery at 17:12.

I think it's deliberately stilted, like it's supposed to be some stuffy rear end white dude wanting to see some of that rollerskating the kids are into these days, but it just doesn't work when some dude in shorts and a t-shirt is apparently delivering it.

Choco1980 posted:

I forgot about that flat as hell guy in LA lol.

Also, the Vancouver Tape was the first time I legit ran into trouble with a faq, as it explained it horribly.

Finally, the cruise secret I mentioned earlier is, if you shatter all the glass in that greenhouse deck in a single run, over the pa you hear the captain get in a fight and a NEW captain takes over with a far more sarcastic voice, yet all the same lines. This persists on that save file permanently.

I hope I explained it well enough! The hardest part is making sure you don't get too much speed off skitching a car, because then you'll just fly right over the tape.

For a game where you're skating around 2 minutes at a time, there is a bunch of little stuff in THPS3 to admire when you just stop and take a look around. THPS3 came out a year after the PS2 launched, so they had plenty of time to become familiar with the hardware and refine the game. They even implemented online play, and Sony wouldn't even finalize that until almost another year. They went all out.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Oh yeah, you do fine. Video makes all the difference in describing gaps in this series.

Also I agree that THPS3 is a beautiful game. There is constant attention to detail that actively rewards exploration, and there's so, so many secret characters to replay with. Not just the unlockables either, but the name game is still there too, with everyone from neversoft employees to kids of skaters, to even some original creations like rastapoplus, the guy behind the counter at the menu, or put in "braineaters" for my favorite unique head.

The other thing about thps3 is that it really galvinated in its popularity a huge upsurge in copycats both inside company and out. There's a couple I think deserve more love. Simpsons Skateboarding isn't as terrible as it first appears, as its flaws are the same as in many of the franchise's games: sloppy controls and poor instructions. That said the levels are interesting, huge, and full of detail, and worth someone putting effort into exploring.
More pertinent however is the game Aggressive Inline. That game is good. The game actually beat thps4 to many of its innovations, like large open levels with timers only on goals activated by talking to stuff, skitching, heck even revert combos. (Though the different manual timing takes getting used to if you're a hawk veteran) and having stats go up with successful tricks. They even do several unique things, like juice box pickups scattered around that refill/extend your special meter (if it drops to empty your run is over and it drops slowly over time or in big bits when you bail.) or even neater, having parts of levels locked off and the keys hidden in other levels (most hidden IN locked areas) and when unlocked, not only open up more area to skate in, but also harder goals to complete--a "pro" quest if you will. A few of these areas are as big as the original play areas themselves even. The biggest downsides being that A. they didn't quite playtest it enough and there's a few bugs in the game that are easy to accidentally trigger (probably because they spent more time on boob jiggle physics instead) and well...it's roller blading so it will never be as popular as skateboarding. Still, I highly recommend it if you're into thps.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Choco1980 posted:

Simpsons Skateboarding isn't as terrible as it first appears, as its flaws are the same as in many of the franchise's games: sloppy controls and poor instructions. That said the levels are interesting, huge, and full of detail, and worth someone putting effort into exploring.

I wanted to do a little gag where, when I jumped into the tiki head, the game would suddenly be Simpsons Skateboarding (we're playing as Bart, after all).

I got so frustrated with the controls that it killed off those plans real quick. If you can play and enjoy it, more power to ya, but I came away from it thinking it was near-unplayable.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
That sounds like something you were setting up this entire game. Has anybody else tried Simpsons skateboarding? Usually I just here that its bad and thats it.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Well like I said, the controls are intensely sloppy and take forever to get used to, which is a shame, because the levels are large and detailed with quite a few several interesting setpieces that would be cool in a better controlling game. For example, to really speed up, you don't just press X which readies your ollie, but you have to press up to kick the ground. Like, they could have just copied the engine and slapped on the ip, but no, instead it's like they watched a kid play the original and build what they thought they saw. If you can get used to the shoddy controls, the game is worth a look. But that's a big if.

Kibibit
Sep 10, 2009

You must be a friend that's good at shredding!
I remember my parents searched around Manhattan for quite a while before they came across a compatible adapter for me to play THPS3 online with. I think it took exactly a month to start running into hackers.

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

Oh yeah, Eric can go and drop onto the chopper.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I don't understand how Eric was able to manipulate the video to make it look like he's the one who did the stunt. He's clearly not yellow!

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Maybe he did the stunt himself after you left? He'd probably be able to do it, he's a pro skater. (I'm imagining a poorly matched up cutout of his face floating in front of the main character while a midi of 'crawling' plays in the background).

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Yeah, for all that's wrong with Eric, he still knows how to skate at pro skill, so I always assumed they meant he did the gap after the coast cleared, the snake

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Choco1980 posted:

Yeah, for all that's wrong with Eric, he still knows how to skate at pro skill, so I always assumed they meant he did the gap after the coast cleared, the snake

That's the implication, yes.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

I crossed the 100 subscriber milestone, so thank you all very much. I'm not sure what my next target is going to be, but I'll be sure to annoy the gently caress out of you all by pimping it until you give me the validation I crave. In the meantime, keep subscribing and I'll keep trying to be a piece of poo poo that you somehow tolerate.

Slam City Jam is kind of a weird level. Like the Tampa Am, it's a competition, but while the Tampa Am was a section within the Tampa level, Slam City Jam is a level totally separate from Vancouver. It's also the shortest level with only one chapter and 5 goals (6 if you count the trick goal). To me, it feels like it's not utilized fully, and it woulda been nice to have more to do in a nice big skate arena like this. But considering one of the goals we do involved flying a lovely blimp around, maybe it's for the best they didn't try to come up with more stuff.

I should also note that I've finished recording the story and am working on the bonus levels, so there really isn't much longer to go for this LP.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Aww, being done with THPS3 means no more end content. oh well.

Also, DJ Qbert is a pretty world famous DJ. Like people consider him one of the best.

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

Oh, Eric. Will Bart just ignore him and let him put himself into irrelevancy by his own faults or will Bart aggressively help the "friend" show all his wonders to the world and bury himself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibibit
Sep 10, 2009

You must be a friend that's good at shredding!

Jamesman posted:

I crossed the 100 subscriber milestone, so thank you all very much. I'm not sure what my next target is going to be, but I'll be sure to annoy the gently caress out of you all by pimping it until you give me the validation I crave. In the meantime, keep subscribing and I'll keep trying to be a piece of poo poo that you somehow tolerate.

Slam City Jam is kind of a weird level. Like the Tampa Am, it's a competition, but while the Tampa Am was a section within the Tampa level, Slam City Jam is a level totally separate from Vancouver. It's also the shortest level with only one chapter and 5 goals (6 if you count the trick goal). To me, it feels like it's not utilized fully, and it woulda been nice to have more to do in a nice big skate arena like this. But considering one of the goals we do involved flying a lovely blimp around, maybe it's for the best they didn't try to come up with more stuff.

I should also note that I've finished recording the story and am working on the bonus levels, so there really isn't much longer to go for this LP.

The lovely blimp goal was Neversoft's directive, they wanted a vehicle mission for every level, so each level's designer had to cram one hamfistedly into their level whether they liked it or not.

• Locked thread