Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Can we blame GTA3 for that? I remember games got a little faddy during the Ps2 era so they'd try and shoehorn stuff like that in. (actually I suppose that never really stopped).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

NHO posted:

Oh, Eric. Will Bart just ignore him and let him put himself into irrelevancy by his own faults or will Bart aggressively help the "friend" show all his wonders to the world and bury himself?

Surprisingly neither!

Kibibit posted:

The lovely blimp goal was Neversoft's directive, they wanted a vehicle mission for every level, so each level's designer had to cram one hamfistedly into their level whether they liked it or not.

Tombot posted:

Can we blame GTA3 for that? I remember games got a little faddy during the Ps2 era so they'd try and shoehorn stuff like that in. (actually I suppose that never really stopped).

I don't think it's really a GTA thing. It's more that they had this mentality of these bigger, more open levels needing a bunch of poo poo to do in them, and having some variety beyond skating. Even THPS4 had crappy minigames.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

I'm sick with a bit of a cold. I'll probably have more to say about this vid tomorrow or something.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Heh, finding a house in Vancouver. Good luck Bart!

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Good news: Got my copy of that THPS book today.

Bad news: Somehow, it is missing the first 25 pages. :psyduck:

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Mine arrived with all the pages, the thing's about as thick as the Bible. Its a good read too.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Tombot posted:

Mine arrived with all the pages, the thing's about as thick as the Bible. Its a good read too.

I'm enjoying reading it for sure. It's very thorough in discussing all the differences in versions and lots of behind-the-scenes info for each game. It's disappointing I got a crapped-up version of the book, but that will hopefully be fixed within a week.

Anyway, let's talk about this episode a little bit.

This is a painfully short section of the game, where you only have to do two goals in order to not only proceed to the next chapter, but to the next level. Loading out of Slam City Jam and coming back to Vancouver, just to turn around and have to load up Moscow is definitely an odd choice to make. I feel like they could have implemented the concept of impressing sponsors into the Slam City Jam so you'd have more to do there.

Hope you guys like my board. Considering you will rarely see the bottom of it, I figured I didn't want to do too much with it, but they do give you a reasonable amount of options and layering to do some fun designs. Joel Jewett's lovely face isn't the only developer face either.

We're now also maxed out on stats. On Sick, the requirements are much higher, but I think almost all of them are reasonable, especially since you can find spots to easily pull most of them off. I think the "hold your balance for X seconds" is a bit too tough though, but maybe that's just me; I resorted to balance cheats to finish the last ones just for my own sanity. I don't know if I'm just really bad at certain things or it's a result of playing an emulated version with a PS3 controller.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
disappointed the board doesn't say "El Barto"

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

I'm a little disappointed you didn't show us the :krad: tricks you pulled to get the stat increases, but if it's just grinding (in game terms, not sk8rd00d terms) then whatever. Grind the big rail -> wallplant -> grind the other way -> wallplant would be kinda boring so

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Choco1980 posted:

disappointed the board doesn't say "El Barto"

There's only 4 layers to work with to add characters.

Radio Free Kobold posted:

I'm a little disappointed you didn't show us the :krad: tricks you pulled to get the stat increases, but if it's just grinding (in game terms, not sk8rd00d terms) then whatever. Grind the big rail -> wallplant -> grind the other way -> wallplant would be kinda boring so

They just aren't very interesting to show off, and I didn't have any way to really incorporate them like I'm trying to do with gaps. On top of that, consistency is a big problem when being asked to pull off big combos or hold balance for increasingly longer times. It just seemed like a much better option to say "This is what the game is asking me to do. Here's some ideas on how to make it easier to try. Now I'll spend an hour or two doing this stuff and spare you the garbage."

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

yeah, i get why you didn't include it

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Jamesman posted:

There's only 4 layers to work with to add characters.

I meant instead of "Bart"

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yeah, I mean you can only add one character per layer, so the maximum is 4 letters.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

You should've named it Bort, then someone else in the thread could've said my board is also named Bort.

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhh?

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
This is so weird. I know I played this game, I know the final mission and remember doing it. But I don't remember any of this interim stuff at all. I basically remember the first level, Hawaii, and the final level. And nothing else.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I remember most of this and man, I don't know if this game has aged that well. It has all the good gameplay but these missions just feel underwhelming when you have so much time to do them.

Also I have always assumed Eric pasted his head on Bort's body in that video. The helicopter seems like it would be way too big to not include, and he does have the power of being in a video game that makes a mockery of physics already, so why not give him magical editing powers.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

MarquiseMindfang posted:

This is so weird. I know I played this game, I know the final mission and remember doing it. But I don't remember any of this interim stuff at all. I basically remember the first level, Hawaii, and the final level. And nothing else.

Pretty much :same:. New York and San Diego sparked some vague memories but all of this Vancouver stuff has just been totally unfamiliar. OTOH, I definitely remember Moscow. Hoo boy.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

that's funny. i remembered the first level what with that sick gap over the bridge, and i remembered vancouver because i live here, but everything else is kinda a blur.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
This game definitely is not a memorable one. None of the levels really have the same inventive flair of earlier games, opting for more realistic locations. The story just ties together your objectives and isn't particularly special or well-written. A lot of the goals are pretty bland and nothing sticks out unless it's frustrating, which even on Sick isn't too common.

But the game mechanics are still solid enough and there's nothing flat-out "bad" here, so it's still an enjoyable experience overall. I hope it's been enjoyable for you guys to revisit the game through this playthrough.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Yeah it's funny, it's simultaneously the most forgettable in the series, while being mechanically probably the best. Like, after this point, the series just adds fluff and the stories get dumber. I will admit to liking the many, many levels in the next game, mechanically it's just not as good.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Do THUG 2 next, coward.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I'm actually looking forward to seeing somebody competent and non-screechy play through THUG2:Bam Bugaloo and American Wasteland.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Choco1980 posted:

Yeah it's funny, it's simultaneously the most forgettable in the series, while being mechanically probably the best. Like, after this point, the series just adds fluff and the stories get dumber. I will admit to liking the many, many levels in the next game, mechanically it's just not as good.

I'd say this is still more memorable than something like 4 or American Wasteland (a game I have absolutely no memory of), it's just that the signs of the developers running out of juice is starting to show. By the time THUG 2 came out I wasn't really with it anymore and didn't understand why Hawk vs Bam was a thing, since all I did was play the games and thus had no reason at all to care about Bam.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
There was a LP of THUG2 that was going on for a while but then it hit somthing I like to call "lets play dementia" where the videos stopped making sense, stopped following the main story and the comentators became so ironic to the point it became super hard to watch and then the LP died.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

chitoryu12 posted:

Do THUG 2 next, coward.

Once upon a time, I did THPS1 and 2, and I had no intentions of doing 3. Then I did 3 and I had no intentions of doing 4. Then I did 4 and had no intention of doing THUG.

I might end up doing THUG2, but it will be a way's down the line. I actually started it up and played around with it a bit, but I wasn't really finding it very fun.

Tombot posted:

There was a LP of THUG2 that was going on for a while but then it hit somthing I like to call "lets play dementia" where the videos stopped making sense, stopped following the main story and the comentators became so ironic to the point it became super hard to watch and then the LP died.

Well, there's only one THUG2 LP listed in the master list, so I think I'll go check this out while I continue to recover from this cold.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

This thread inspired me to try skateboarding again after I bought one half a year ago. I'll get that ollie right one of these days, darn it.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

if you do thug you might as well do thug2, i mean why not right

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Momomo posted:

This thread inspired me to try skateboarding again after I bought one half a year ago. I'll get that ollie right one of these days, darn it.

Don't forget safety! Pads and helmet, always. I don't wanna lose another viewer because my LPs put ideas in their head...

Radio Free Kobold posted:

if you do thug you might as well do thug2, i mean why not right

Kind of my thinking, since it's practically the same engine and it's just more THUG, but it also had a ton of awful garbage in it like a ton of missions that have nothing to do with skating, special characters/vehicles that control like rear end, horrid level design, etc. I'd rather find some other games to do, then revisit THUG2 once I've psyched myself up enough for it.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
The sort of thing that makes it difficult to play THUG2 is that there's a lot of things that plain don't have anything to do with skateboarding. THUG already has a few things like that (vehicles come to mind), but there's still enough things to do where you don't have to get off your board and mainly just play the game.

As for the humor, I think that as childish as some of the things are here, THUG2 goes way into it and becomes painfully unfunny at times. Writers that are good could do it well or at least decently, but either they didn't have the chops or didn't have the time to make it funny so it constantly gets in the way and makes you want to skip cutscenes to go back to the game. If you already hate being interrupted by cutscenes in these games, it certainly wouldn't make them want to watch it, either.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Didn't THUG2 have that amazing mod for it that added basically everything from every other Tony hawk game that came before it? Am I mixing that up with somthing else?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
THUG2 on PC has a mod for it called THUG PRO, which combined a bunch of assets from other games to make a pretty robust online experience.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Yeah, the non skating missions in THUG 2 are just horrible. Especially the ones where you get a weird vehicle thing (which every level has) because they control just so, so badly. And yeah, the writing is really really bad, jumping on the gravy train of Jackass' popularity at the time, as Bam Margera was already a long established skater in the game series. Though the constant dunking on Eric Sparrow is pretty great after this game

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Oh hey, I found a laptop.

SKATER FACTS

Bucky Lasek is another old school skater, having been scouted by Powell Peralta in the late 80s. As a skater he's most prominent in vert skating and X Games competitions, but he's also had a strong career as a rally driver for Subaru.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-NdFzk6F0E

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Moscow is the final new level introduced in Story Mode. Like I mention in the video, it has the longest list of gaps out of all the levels, but only by a few more than Vancouver. Still, it's just enough to make it hard for me to memorize them all, but I managed. The harder part was actually doing them, especially some I do during missions, because killing two birds with one stone only works if you kill two birds, as opposed to you failing so hard that the stone gets lodged up your rear end in a top hat while the two birds laugh at you.

We've also met all the skaters we're going to meet in Story Mode by this point, but there still are more. Every pro skater from previous games is available in Free Skate, but I guess they either couldn't find a place for them in the story, or Story Mode was possibly pared down a bit and they were the casualties of it. We do get come across one more skater in a couple more episodes, although it's in an unconventional way.

And no, the team you choose has no impact on what skaters you meet.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

I saw the The Doors joke you were going to make a mile away.

I laughed anyways.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Operation Deez"
"Deez what?"
"Deez Nutz!"
for some reason that's one of the only lines i remember

"i think bam wants to gently caress a tank"
c'mon man don't be silly nobody here would want to gently caress a tank, haha that's ridiculous i mean who would do that

Radio Free Kobold fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Jun 1, 2018

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

Red Square is surprisingly recognizable and mostly with correct placement of the... things, even if compacted extremely. And puns are horrible.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Russia is such a pretty level, but man does it feel like a pain to get everything in.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jonny Nox posted:

I saw the The Doors joke you were going to make a mile away.

I laughed anyways.

I'm nothing if not an endless source of stupid lame jokes.

Choco1980 posted:

Russia is such a pretty level, but man does it feel like a pain to get everything in.

The size of the level is comparable to all the other ones, and might even be smaller than some of them, so the gaps are just really densely packed.

I do think the level looks very nice. Since most of the game is meant to be more visually grounded and realistic, going to Moscow and having old buildings and tanks and stuff makes it stand out more and is a bit more reminiscent of the more creative designs from earlier games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
I wonder why they chose russia? I personally imagine they were checking off places they hadn't visited in the series yet and thought it would be funny.

• Locked thread