Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
A friend of mine who I used to visit regularly and play games with had a bunch of Tony Hawk's's and we always had a blast playing them, but the arcadey gameplay of the earlier ones was getting stale after a while. This one, however, kept us entertained far longer, not necessarily because of the story (it does help to give a framework of sorts, though) but because of the open world, the ability to just walk places when you don't care for the skateboard physics anymore, and the variety of challenges. It's great and I'll be super happy to follow this thread.

On the story itself: I think the characters as they're presented so far are exactly the type of people who'd be wowed by Muska's stupid poo poo. It doesn't matter if you're actually super into skater culture yourself or just playing a game with those two bozos in it, I think; in the context of how they're presented, it works, and there's no need to think further about it imho. I don't think it's either and over-the-top parody or a case of wanting to be taken super seriously as "awesome stuff, dude" - Muska's lifestyle is something the main characters would absolutely aspire to at the moment, so it's framed as such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

I thought the game just made up NPCs and gave them stupid names like "Chad Muska" or "Stacy Peralta" until this very moment tbh. It really didn't hurt my enjoyment...

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

I have always appreciated this game's protagonist for having the unique superpowers of "basic social skills" and "not being a dick" to get him where he wants to be.

• Locked thread