Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

I've never played or seen THUG before, but right away this game feels like a joke. It's so... serious(?) the way it treats itself. I was laughing during the Chad Muska cutscene, it felt like they were honestly expecting me to be jaw droppingly impressed. It feels like a satire, but I don't think I think it's earnest. Everything about the game is so dated and out of place. From the graphics to the storyline to the gameplay it feels straight out of the 90s, yet it came out in 2003.

I like the Bart character, too. It feels very fitting for the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q31CAyIjFwg

Those commercials ran for over a decade, from 1988 to 2001.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Jamesman posted:

I also struggle with audio balancing, and have been working to improve that. In the case of this game, you've got the game audio, my commentary, and the music I'm adding in. I would like to hear your opinions on how it all sounds and if I should make any changes.

Speaking of music, the last Tony Hawk LP I did, I used MIDI files of songs from the first four games in the series. This game's soundtrack doesn't lend itself to doing something similar, and I didn't want to make you listen to the same tracks as the last game, so I opted to use some video game music composed by the super-awesome Tim Follin. Also instead of just letting the music run continuously through the video, I've been cutting out when there is game dialogue, so it's not competing for your attention. Are these things working out for you?

I notice that my introduction videos get fewer views than the first proper video for the LPs. I've been doing these instead of written OP text dumps or talking a bunch at the beginning of the regular videos, so you aren't really missing anything if you just want to get into the LP proper (hence, the "Part 0"), but I want to know your thoughts on if this is working out for you guys, or if you really just prefer stuff written out in the thread. Or if you DO like the intro videos, if there's anything I should do differently for them.

The audio all seems good to me. You and the game both come through fine, and the music is quiet enough that I can hear it without it distracting from whatever else is going on.

Likewise, I'm happy with the intro videos. I watch them, but it's understandable if people don't want to. I think it's to be expected that they'll get fewer views than the main video. My only suggestion would be to do just a paragraph of text in the OP, something concise explaining the game. Really, though, it's not terribly important.

Choco1980 posted:

I have never heard the phrase "Flipping a bitch" outside of this game.

I hear it often enough :shrug:

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

In case it wasn't obvious to anyone else, the mayor Jed character is a reference to Jeb Bush, Florida's governor at the time

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Chimera-gui posted:

I remember Tony Hawk actually cameo'd in an episode of Rocket Power where he was rumored to be retiring so the main characters went to his personal skate park to talk to him only to learn that he was just taking a break and they were even allowed to board with him.

I remember that episode! It was garbage, much like the rest of rocket power.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMMHmlOExNQ

• Locked thread