Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Death Ray
Jan 20, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 6 years!)

I agree with all those who are saying that trying to flip someone's political opinion is a waste of time. For proof, ask yourself when the last time was that your opponent's political argument, even a reasoned one, worked on you.

And all people, are dumb. I attended the March For Our Lives event in my city and had a polite conversation with a small group of pro-gun people. Only one of them, gun lovers all, could even tell me what the 2nd Amendment says (it is one sentence long).

A better tact is this: let your opponents defeat themselves by giving them food for thought. Pick a problem in need of a solution, something that both of you agree is broken. Let THEM tell you, step by step what they would do to fix it. Anticipate their answers, and have your counterpoints ready. Don't try to win.... be like Data: play for a tie.

Frustrate their every point, do not try to get the upper hand, and the next day they will realize that they have lost when they are still wrestling with your arguments and you are loving their girlfriend on their bed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death Ray
Jan 20, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 6 years!)

Another strategy might be this: right wingers, by definition, do not believe in "progress". Theirs is a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" philosophy. Republican's, as the right wing party of record, define themselves by holding on to the past, and protecting the privileges of the ruling class (whites).

Challenge them to provide you with something, anything, that needs to change in defiance of the status quo. They will almost certainly try to conceal their answer by saying they want to "change" college campuses by silencing campus liberals (agreed!) or "change" the public's attitude on the "flag" by condemning NFL/BLM. Don't take the bait.

Find a topic of common concern that the current political/economic solutions simply have not fixed, and slowly get them to admit through their own words that a leftist position (one of change) is the right one.

And never forget: there are as many right wingers stuck in lovely, unrewarding, low paying work as there are left wingers.

• Locked thread