Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Hopefully they aren't foolish enough to open that door in the shipwreck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Imagine setting your story in 1942 and needing ghosts to be scary.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
So far this season is just depressing and the ghost stuff is boring.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The HMS Terror wreck has some tantalizing clues such as being 57 miles south from the area people expected and also the condition of the wreck shows it was not in the winterized "button up" condition when the ships sank.

Libandano Urfam
Apr 23, 2010
Here's the full video from Parks Canada -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxyTZ3F7mkA

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Libandano Urfam posted:

Here's the full video from Parks Canada -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxyTZ3F7mkA

Great video, amazing how everything is so well preserved such as the bit with Crozier's office.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

The latest episode just felt waaaaaaaay too jam-packed with plot stuff.

The yurei's story is revealed, Chester is suddenly back at the camp (and is apparently a-okay and not in trouble for what went down the previous episode), Chester's connection to why the yurei is all up in his business is explained, attempted banishing...

It really felt like a rush along exposition dump, but overall I still like this season

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

LadyPictureShow posted:

The yurei's story is revealed, Chester is suddenly back at the camp (and is apparently a-okay and not in trouble for what went down the previous episode), Chester's connection to why the yurei is all up in his business is explained, attempted banishing...

It really felt like a rush along exposition dump, but overall I still like this season

It's chock-full of atmosphere. A shame they seem so dead-set on making their main character neither sympathetic nor interesting.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

The last 2 episodes have been my favorite all season. The rest of the season had a ton of pacing problems in my humble opinion, it seemed like they were afraid people wouldn't understand what was going on or something. But the last 2 have been a lot better with mixing creepy stuff and the story as a whole.

I *loved* the shot of the yurei digging through the wall of her mind palace/afterlife and then popping up in the cemetery.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Chester's actor belongs in the Lodge 49 universe.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

I guess I'm not really feeling it (although at least the show seems to be moving a bit) because I don't really understand what the concentration camp (or the iffy island diversion) setting brings to the story. Tuunbaq was a bonus threat to the sailors in s1, but if they hadn't sailed into the arctic they wouldn't have encountered any of the dangers. In s2, being in the concentration camp seems almost irrelevant, because the yokai would have been hunting them anyway, and possibly more successfully since I assume being on Terminal Island but focused on day to day stuff would have reduced communication.

The camp mostly seems to be a way for the characters to be miserable in spite of the yokai, rather than being a compounding factor, since presumably life would have been gone to "normal" when Chester shipped out and the yokai followed.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

It took me three goes to get through the first episode and I've been putting off watching the second for weeks now. I suppose it's good to see I'm far from the only one to not be feeling this season.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
I gave up after the 3rd episode. Just wasn't grabbing me, the acting is very uneven, it's not visually interesting, whatever else. And I adore the first season and have no problem with slow-burn shows.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

LadyPictureShow posted:

Chester being back confused me too. I actually thought I'd missed an episode.

Maybe it'll get explained? :confused:

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Krankenstyle posted:

Chester being back confused me too. I actually thought I'd missed an episode.

Maybe it'll get explained? :confused:

Chester's translator buddy forces him into the Jeep at ginpoint, Jeep gets overturned, Yurei crawls out of the duffel bag, reaches for him...

"Hey mom and dad! I'm back on a medical discharge!"

Yeah it was a huge swerve, so I'm guessing something really, truly bizarre happened between the episodes that'll come to light later.

Or Chester died in the Jeep crash and the camp is now his afterlife/mind prison or something?

It is one thing that's both more intriguing and frustrating than the first season. Whether you read the book or just knew the history of the Franklin Expedition and if neither, the opening scene lays it out for you 'Everyone's dead. And gone.' You knew what you were getting with S1.

This season, it's more loosely based on a real thing that happened, but a lot of it feels like 'Okay, where are they going with all of this?' So we could either get a huge payoff or a wet fart.

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Sep 20, 2019

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
My theory is that there's such a dearth of media about Japanese internment and the Japanese-American experience that there was an overwhelming temptation to cram in as much as possible.

It's very unfocused and manages to feel both dragging and rushed at the same time.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Yeah it's a bit up in the air at the moment. I like the actors and the setting but the script is very uneven.

I don't think Chester is in a Yurei mind prison (unless it has Inception-powers), but perhaps it did or said something to him after the crash that is blocked from his memory?

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
I really tried to like this season but here's what's not working for me:

1. Making the supernatural element an actual main character. This is such a misstep in terms of framing the narrative that I'm amazed the concept wasn't scrapped in early edits. It's a completely different method of storytelling than season one, which, I guess, props for trying something new or whatever, but it falls so flat that I can't help but lose any sense of tension or fear. Demystifying the malevolent force that pursues the protagonist turns the tone right around from season one, because now it becomes just generational melodrama, which is way less scary than a show called The Terror ought to be.

2. The dialogue is getting worse and worse. In the most recent ep (7), Amy asks Chester what he's up to, and he says with some irony, "Just enjoying the great American landscape." Apart from the clunkiness of the line itself, holy cow no one talks like that! Jesus. They give him these lines to underscore his position as a child of two cultures, as if the title of the first episode of the series didn't do it enough. That's just one example but all of his lines do to with the military or his family are so heavy-handed that he's almost completely caricature rather than character. This goes for almost all the main roles and most of the supporting ones. Ken comes to mind here as another particularly egregious example.

3. As a direct result of 2, character writing feels incredibly forced. In the most recent ep the example that struck me was Major Bowen recovering from his brief capture. He has Amy change the bandage over his eye, then he gets up and walks to the table, picks a carnation from the vase, and gives it to a reluctant Amy. There is nothing in his character that makes this action believable. It's just there to add melodrama, but falls right into farce. Even when actions are more reasoned and grounded in character, like Chester marching out the gate after receiving the package of unopened letters, they still come off as hollow since the characters aren't very strong.

The first season is still great but unfortunately creates a huge contrast in quality with the second season.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I'm still enjoying this season, however I will echo the thread sentiment that this is a far cry from Season 1. This ain't like the descent of the glorious first and second seasons of AHS into the shitfest of Coven or whatever the hell happened to Walking Dead to name a few, but something went wrong in the writer's room. There's only three episodes left and at least I'd like to know Yuko's MO, what she's doing when the camera goes off. Something happened to Bowen and Chester when they got Yuko'd, but there's no consistency in her actions, why especially the former was spared, but both Luz's dad and that doctor were both immediately disposed of. I can guess maybe she's enacting some sort of extended revenge through leaving an rear end in a top hat like Bowen alive and loving with his head to come down on the prisoners that much harder, yet I can't help but think that isn't the case, that maybe the writers are just dropping the ball here. And telling why she went after them and showing what exactly happened in that as of yet blank interim between then and now could actually be the opportunity for same drat scary horror.

I mean, there's enough bad poo poo going on with the actual ghost and people being tormented in concentration camps that leaving the real scares something to the human imagination just doesn't cut it anymore. Considering there's still a hell of a lot of gaps here that have yet to be filled, I'm hoping this issue will be addressed, that it will be a legitimately scary plot twist when it does happen, and not something just casually left in the air. Finally, I want to know what they're trying to say here. A show about Japanese concentration camps in this era is unbelievably relevant so I want to know what's the message here, even if it has to be blatantly stated with all the subtlety of an anvil. Hearing someone like Bowen reprimand the Japanese about the ghost problem is incredibly hollow given he's the rear end in a top hat in charge of this song and dance, but when Yuko is a product of the older Japanese characters' baggage, a force akin to an indiscriminate plague, it could just as well feed into every contemporary xenophobic piece of poo poo screed hung high from the rooftops today.

Shitenshi fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Sep 26, 2019

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

This season was already poor but last night seemed to fly it off a cliff. The time jump is completely baffling. The entire chair sequence seemed to come from a different show. The internment camp setting, what was the point? Nothing about Yuko seems to make sense (suddenly Japanese... Purgatory? is fine to her?). And Mexican Catholic magic is cross compatible with Japanese folklore?

I guess we're going to finish it since there are only two episodes left, but I'm guessing the show isn't going to explain how Chester got away from Yuko in Guadalcanal at the end of the... 5th episode?

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
Why is Yuko behaving like she also just learned about the twin brother? Why were the twins bad but the new baby is good? Why did anyone think anything in the recording (that was replayed to us) was actually incriminating?

Why did so much of the story take place outside the internment camp?

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Did anybody else tough it out to the end of the season?

One thing that carries between the seasons is that shotguns are a pretty good defense against malevolent spirits.

Final ep was good, but jeez, where the Hell were the episodes like this the rest of the drat season? Also, looking back I wish the show had been about Henry and Asako instead of their boring son. They both owned bones, and drat, that scene of Asako rage-stabbing her sister's body, despite the fact she knew it wouldn't do anything.

To add to that, I felt like much of the supporting cast felt totally wasted throughout the season.

Though I will say, George Takei meeting his old friend in his dream/vision and then catching up was a really good scene.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

We thought the last episode was ok at best, which makes it quite a bit better than the rest of the garbage season but not actually good.

Mostly I would describe the season as incoherent to an extent that was shocking that it got made at all.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
What a weird season. I finished watched out of inertia and not because I was invested in the characters or what was happening. Everything about Yuko and how the undead operate seemed poorly thought-out, with the exception of her afterlife home, which was cool. But the rules of possession, the effects it has on people, how she acts as a spirit without a body, all of that stuff is just kind of haphazardly elided over in order to allow the story to progress in fits and starts. What's more, that wouldn't even be a problem if a) how she does things wasn't the narrative's linchpin, and b) the show did a better job of making me care about either her or the other characters. I didn't feel any investment in Chester and Luz, nor in their families, nor in Yuko, owing to the reasons I outlined before. What a disappointment after the first season.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I've had this thread bookmarked for forever because I always intended to finish this season. The last six episodes have been sitting on my DVR, and it took me until yesterday to get up the desire to watch them. What a disappointment compared to the first season. Japanese folklore is an absolute treasure trove of story possibilities and they just completely wasted it. That and the setting of the internment camps. I was eager, truly, to be able to consume media covering this shameful period of American history but it just felt like more of a backdrop than a focus of the story. The show felt aimless most of the time, with weird time jumps (they never again mentioned wtf happened to Chester after the Jeep accident when Yuko touched him), and weird character motivations. Also they spent idk how many episodes running away from Yuko just to resolve the entire season's conflict by...talking it out??? Chester kind of sucks and his dialogue was terrible most of the time.

Also the show was just such a loving downer the entire time, I don't think I could say I really enjoyed watching it at all. I need to go rewatch the first season as a palate cleanser.

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Dec 5, 2019

Caufman
May 7, 2007
The Franklin Expedition made an extraordinarily good setting for all kinds of fantastic horror like cannibalism and the supernatural. I don't normally go for horror, but The Terror Season 1's setting hooked me right away. I did not get very far at all into Season 2

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
I didn't even watch the last 3-4 episodes. I tried to soldier on but drat what a terrible season.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I'm still mad about this show.

Why is Chester sending letters to internment camps looking for his lost twin, when he's an AWOL soldier living in hiding?

Why did it take until the last 15min of the final episode for Henry to reveal he had a (almost) surefire way of containing Yuko? He had just spent 2 episodes sulking and giving Chester poo poo about his strategy when he had that in his back pocket the whole time?

Why would Mexican magic work on a Japanese ghost?

Why does Yuko seem to forget she had another kid until it was also revealed to the audience?

Whyyyyyyyyyy

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona
Started watching season 1 earlier today after spotting the thread and being reminded of its existence--I'm not really sure why I ever put it on the backburner but here we are.

Anyway I'm starting season 2 now so that's probably an indication of how I feel about it, I'll work my way through the thread after I finish to avoid spoilers but I'm really interested in how everyone else felt about it.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I liked it in concept and I don't regret watching, but the burn someone gave about having to add a ghost story to make a concentration camp interesting rings true.
Were I given creative control of the finished series I'd have recut it into a miniseries.
(Check out the fanedit of twin peaks it's called Northwestern Passage or something)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Was there ever any resolution to that one cliffhanger, or is the show better for pretending it never happened?

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Caufman posted:

The Franklin Expedition made an extraordinarily good setting for all kinds of fantastic horror like cannibalism and the supernatural. I don't normally go for horror, but The Terror Season 1's setting hooked me right away. I did not get very far at all into Season 2

:same:

Season 1 was great, but 2 lost me after 3 or 4 episodes.

I still really realllllllllllly wish I could download the ambient sounds of the ships in ice from season 1, I could zone out to that stuff for hours.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

a mysterious cloak posted:

:same:

Season 1 was great, but 2 lost me after 3 or 4 episodes.

I still really realllllllllllly wish I could download the ambient sounds of the ships in ice from season 1, I could zone out to that stuff for hours.

There are icebreaker videos on Youtube if that's your jam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHAs_qzLoAE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyOI_6xlxY8

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

quote:

The only area below decks the team was unable to access was the captain’s sleeping quarters. Apparently the last person to leave closed the door. “Intriguingly, it was the only closed door on the ship,” says Harris. “I’d love to know what’s in there.”

Terror season 3 right there...

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Hasselblad posted:

Terror season 3 right there...

It's also interesting since it matches up with oral history from the Inuit for how they found the ships.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Was it this topic they were talking about how weirded out the locals were? Something about finding bodies with huge nails and teeth, I assume from skin/gums receding?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
the subtitles for a british teen soap got confused with s1 the terror during broadcast

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I watched The Terror season 1, and I have to say, it was okay, but was clearly inspired by Ravenous and Hannibal and isn't quite as good as either (and this from someone who isn't that fond of Hannibal, but the cinematography is stellar, and the coherency is a little better). There's a lot of Colonel Ives energy in Hartley and how he's played, and it doesn't quite match up to Robert Carlisle's performance of a similar character type. Still, I'd gladly lump it in with them for a number of reasons, and it's a narrow genre I'm very fond of.

The timeline needed to be represented in a more integrated way, and the sound mixing is rough (I needed closed captions), and by the end there's a tremendous amount of moon logic.

The "Tuunbaq" (turn back! :imunfunny: ) desperately needed to be re-named, or better yet, not pointlessly be in the series.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Yeah, the Terror S1 is really frustrating because it's a great example of a show that was almost there. If they'd just spent another month or two working out some of the kinks with a script doctor I think it would have been in the top 5 seasons of television of all time. And agreed that it probably would have been even better without Tuunbaq. Just dialing in on the story of the men against the elements, slowly growing mad, would have been enough, and then sprinkle in the curse and some strange deaths and disasters that might be supernatural but might just be coincidence or the unreliable perspective of men with lead poisoning, and you would have had a much stronger show. I think when it was airing some people in here were speculating that the Tuunbaq was just a regular polar bear and the men were just seeing it as a monster because they were going crazy, which I think would have been better than what we got.

And then apparently season 2 was terrible? I put it down after the first or second episode because it started so slow, and I never picked it back up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Calling it "The Terror" probably confused some network exec who assumed it was supposed to be about scary monsters. I don't know how else they could have taken what could have been a really cool, real history story about a stranded ship and a possible polar bear attack and turned it into the mess it ended up as.