Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

The supernatural stuff is basically there to explain away unknowns and avoid making everyone act like idiots as a way to explain failure. We don't know what happened to HMS Terror (not exactly), and if you go back I think articles were posted saying the lead shouldn't have been a primary problem. Ghost Bear adds a way for the writers to fend off Tactical Decision complaints.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

I guess I'm not really feeling it (although at least the show seems to be moving a bit) because I don't really understand what the concentration camp (or the iffy island diversion) setting brings to the story. Tuunbaq was a bonus threat to the sailors in s1, but if they hadn't sailed into the arctic they wouldn't have encountered any of the dangers. In s2, being in the concentration camp seems almost irrelevant, because the yokai would have been hunting them anyway, and possibly more successfully since I assume being on Terminal Island but focused on day to day stuff would have reduced communication.

The camp mostly seems to be a way for the characters to be miserable in spite of the yokai, rather than being a compounding factor, since presumably life would have been gone to "normal" when Chester shipped out and the yokai followed.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

This season was already poor but last night seemed to fly it off a cliff. The time jump is completely baffling. The entire chair sequence seemed to come from a different show. The internment camp setting, what was the point? Nothing about Yuko seems to make sense (suddenly Japanese... Purgatory? is fine to her?). And Mexican Catholic magic is cross compatible with Japanese folklore?

I guess we're going to finish it since there are only two episodes left, but I'm guessing the show isn't going to explain how Chester got away from Yuko in Guadalcanal at the end of the... 5th episode?

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

We thought the last episode was ok at best, which makes it quite a bit better than the rest of the garbage season but not actually good.

Mostly I would describe the season as incoherent to an extent that was shocking that it got made at all.