Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

etalian posted:

The whole heading south plan was pretty quixotic given the shear distance of the march and also how the whole crew was already physically ground down by two winters.

Why TWO winters -- how long were they stuck on the ships after they got iced in? I thought they'd gone in at the tail end of summer and got stuck in the fall, and the plan was to wait til the next spring to get the ships through, but they left sooner because of the food issues. Did I skip over an extra year stuck in the pack? I do remember some dialogue suggesting that they'd been stuck for a year, but I wasn't sure how that made sense. Why weren't they able to escape after the first winter ended?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Zzulu posted:

The issue with The Terror is that most of it isn't about the monster but then it suddenly is about the monster AND the monster is just a really fat bear which is less than interesting. Despite this, the show was still good because of how different it was and because it rested on the shoulders of awesome actors

Yeah, this was it. I would have preferred if it was more understated, like they think there's a monster for a while but it's really just a suspicious series of animal attacks maybe brought on by the curse. The more interesting stuff by far was the insanity and the men starving and turning on eachother.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

Even if it is a monster, there needs to be a way for them to stop it, if only temporarily. That scene where the monster rips through their camp and nothing they do even phases it pissed me off beyond belief. An unstoppable monster isn't scary as a viewer. I just go into "I guess they will all just die until the monster gets bored and leaves" mode. If the monster was ripping people apart, but they were able to shoot it enough times to scare it off, that would have made things much more tense for me. There has to be some way for the characters to win, no matter how difficult it is.

This too. When there's no way to stop the monster, then the characters no longer have much agency of their own. Either it'll kill everyone or it won't, but none of the characters are going to be able to do anything to affect the outcome so why do I even care what they're doing right now?

I guess covering yourself with forks and letting yourself get eaten is the tuunbaq's only weakness.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Yeah, the Terror S1 is really frustrating because it's a great example of a show that was almost there. If they'd just spent another month or two working out some of the kinks with a script doctor I think it would have been in the top 5 seasons of television of all time. And agreed that it probably would have been even better without Tuunbaq. Just dialing in on the story of the men against the elements, slowly growing mad, would have been enough, and then sprinkle in the curse and some strange deaths and disasters that might be supernatural but might just be coincidence or the unreliable perspective of men with lead poisoning, and you would have had a much stronger show. I think when it was airing some people in here were speculating that the Tuunbaq was just a regular polar bear and the men were just seeing it as a monster because they were going crazy, which I think would have been better than what we got.

And then apparently season 2 was terrible? I put it down after the first or second episode because it started so slow, and I never picked it back up.