Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007
This book is super good and made me feel so drat cold reading it. So far the show is nailing it. Great stuff. Love the Inuit stuff we get in the story and makes me wonder how human beings can live in temperatures like that their whole drat lives. People are friggin survivors man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007

Labes for days posted:

Okay I doubt this was the director's intent but I laughed really, really hard at the severed leg burial. I know it's all they had to bury but still. Just the leg all gussied up in a coffin with fake handles painted on the sides. Majestic.

I had the exact same thoughts. The goofy stocking they put it in didn't help (not that it was bad at all, I think some very dark sort of humor might have been the intent of that scene).

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

It's pretty decent so far, not as great as I'd hoped. Overall still a treat,

Ninja bear is getting a bit ridiculous though.

Well, I mean, for the bear (book spoilers) it's not a bear and it's explicitly a supernatural killing machine in the books so I think it's fine. Also I'm curious to see that long rear end neck and if it looks goofy like it did in my head when that detail is revealed in the book

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007

withak posted:

FWIW back

Back when I read the book I thought for some reason that it was nonfiction and was expecting a rational explanation for everything up until the very end.

The book presents everything in a very rational way and some of the most horrifying scenes in it have nothing to do with the crazy monster at all. That book really makes you feel COLD.

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007

a lovely king posted:

The Mean Doctor set himself on fire, the Nice Doctor got stabbed.

I thought the guy that got stabbed was just some rando crewmember. Wasn't Nice Doctor around all fine at the end of the episode? I felt like I missed something because the older doctor guy went from seeming completely ok to craziness super quick, and I was wondering if that was even the guy doing the burning or I was confusing him with some other guy.

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007
Thanks for the clarifications on the doctors. I even read the book back in the day, so I should know this, but it's been a few years.

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007

alf_pogs posted:

hey those who've read the book, can you fill me in a bit on the mythology around the tunbaaq? i enjoy how ambiguous the show keeps it, but i'm still curious what lady silence and her father are up to. and what the tongues are all about

So the deal is as I remember it The Tuunbaq was birthed/created can't super remember at the beginning of time and the world and was basically an indestrucible god of death that warred with other gods/spirits of Inuit lore and caused destruction to the worlds of gods and men unstoppably. One of the main gods created a pact with the beast to stop it from wiping out everyone, and the inuit that carry on this pact are the no-tongue shamans who gain the ability to speak to the Tuunbaq. The Tuunbaq gets its lands in the the north and is managed by the the no tongue shamans...once Lady Silence's dad dies it throws the whole system out of order and Lady Silence needs to join the order of the no-tongue shamans in order to get the Tuunbaq back under some sort of control, although as the expedition has entered it's lands and violated it's territory it gets to hunt and feed at will especially without an experienced shaman to speak to it That's just going off what I remember.

BlackJosh fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Apr 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007
Kinda sad how little Lady Silence was used compared to the book