Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moltke
May 13, 2009
Just watched the first 2. AMC really has something here. I'm really enjoying the time period and all the old-timey naval stuff, when they were just on the cusp of what you might consider a "modern" vessel, but still very rudimentary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moltke
May 13, 2009
Finished this up. Incredible limited series. The only thing that bothered me about the ending Crozier says all of his men are dead, but he knows that he left men at the ships with enough provisions to survive for quite a long time. Sure, one could assume that lead poisoning or scurvy would eventually take them, but he could have mentioned them in that moment and tried to check on them later. Would have liked a line or something about this at the end.

Just a small nit to pick, and I really enjoyed this quite a lot.

I can't even believe that there are settlements North of King William Island settled almost contemporaneously to the series. This show (the Inuit) is truly a remarkable example of what humans are capable of.

Also, holy poo poo about the Canadian resettlement of Inuit in the 50s/60s. Very trail-of-tears-esque. Would not have known about this without this show.

Moltke
May 13, 2009
Interesting interview with the showrunner on BI today

http://www.businessinsider.com/amcs-the-terror-creator-talks-about-10-year-journey-to-make-it-2018-5

Moltke
May 13, 2009
One of the Terror documentaries on youtube puts forth the theory that the high officer death count early in the expedition was due to botulism.

The idea is that, while frozen in the pack, a hunting party killed something, with Franklin and the rest of the senior staff naturally calling dibs on the fresh meat. The meat was improperly stored (possibly over the winter), and so Franklin was vomiting and making GBS threads himself before eventually expiring from respiratory failure. This wouldn't make for a very sexy story back home, so Crozier and Fitzsimmons didn't record the details.

Can't remember if there is an actual basis for the theory or if it's just speculation, but the documentaries on youtube about this are great.