Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Libandano Urfam
Apr 23, 2010
I just finished S1 - I enjoyed it a lot, going to get the book from the library today.

I'm racking my brains and maybe I'm just not remembering, but did anyone actually shoot at tuunbaq besides with the cannon? I remember a lot of shooting wildly into the fog and a lot of having the shot but running away instead.

The time jumps were kind of jarring - not so much the ones that were months at a time but the smaller ones - "oh no there's a giant cliff of ice in the way. oh good now we are on the other side."

I've always loved tales & histories of expeditions that were lost because of hubris, I hadn't come across the Inuit oral histories before and the bit in the story from https://www.ric.edu/faculty/rpotter/woodman/inuittales_terror.pdf which recounted one of the sailors telling the Inuit of the ship(s) breaking up really stood out to me -

"...As [he] pointed to the N., drawing his hand & arm from that direction he slowly moved his body in a falling direction and all at once dropped his head side ways into his hand, at the same time making a kind of combination of whirring, buzzing & wind blowing noise. This the pantomimic representation of ships being crushed in the ice."

It almost sounds like pantomiming falling asleep and snoring - just the fact that this detail survived is mind blowing. The ol' campfire story of a dude making explosion sound effects. Man ship hand sink boat ice. So cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libandano Urfam
Apr 23, 2010

moths posted:

Is S1 streaming anywhere? I couldn't find it on Hulu a few weeks ago.

I just finished watching it on Hulu yesterday, I'm in the US.

Libandano Urfam
Apr 23, 2010
I just rewatched S1 and liked it even better.

I love how devastating everyones' character arcs are. Crozier goes from drowning himself in drink to someone with incredible inner strength but loses those who value it most, Fitzjames goes from hiding behind vanity to choosing to fully reveal himself because he knows that otherwise the choice will be taken from him, Goodsir's barely contained enthusiasm to the complete death of his hope, Hickey's early manipulations to keep his own vanity & ego satisfied then to his amusement at how people fall over themselves to justify following him - everyone finds out who they truly are but it's all for nothing. Love it!

Libandano Urfam
Apr 23, 2010

Libandano Urfam fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Aug 21, 2019

Libandano Urfam
Apr 23, 2010
Here's the full video from Parks Canada -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxyTZ3F7mkA