Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

a mysterious cloak posted:

Just finished the last episode. My only quibble with the series was Hickey. you saw him coming from a mile away. And who would follow this guy, anyway? Most of those low level guys had never been on an arctic voyage, so there's no way in hell they'll survive alone.

The guy Hickey was based on was a loving pharmacist and accrued about 40 followers to do far more evil things than the book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

An historically-accurate Donner Party show made by the same people who made this would be cool.

American Experience: Donner Party conveys a surprisingly large amount of dread for something on pbs.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

a mysterious cloak posted:

Really! I had no idea. I'm assuming he's based on the Batavia guy? I think I found some new reading to do!

Hickeys first name was Cornelisz lest we forget.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
It's the bizarre behavior of the crew that is the biggest mystery of the Franklin Expedition. This is why the lead poisoning theory has legs. I never bought the "well they were victorian englishmen of course they had high lead concentrates" explanation for the lead levels found on the beechy corpses. They would have long lost any hair/nails that had grown in Britain and regrown it on the ship given the time. Whatever caused the high lead levels was on the ship.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

etalian posted:

Well you didn't need more complex causes given how the men were on a starvation diet while having to haul 4000 pound sledges by hand.

It also didn't help that they had no accurate maps of the region and Franklin had picked the east side of Prince William island he would have avoided getting icelocked. The western channel by comparison attracts massive amounts of ice part due to Arctic wind patterns.

Doesn't really explain how the RIP Franklin note had the wrong year. Why the huge officer death count in said note. Why a boat was found filled with 40 pounds of chocolate and two skeletons. Why they had 3 years worth of food but were starving to death in year 3. Why those 4000 pound sledges had a fuckton of books and other random poo poo in them. Why they resorted to cannibalism instead of eating seal meat in that innuit story. Why they splintered up so hard.

These are off the top of my head and im no expert on the expedition.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

LadyPictureShow posted:

Scurvy can be an explanation for all of that. Heck, even now there’s some doctors stressing that if a patient shows up with new, unexplained emotional/mental problems, doctors should run a blood panel to look at vitamin c levels and see if there’s a deficiency. That part can show up before you hit full-blown scurvy.

And since scurvy and high lead concentration teamed up on these guys, along with starvation diet, no wonder they all went weird.

As for the high officer death count, could have just been coincidence, lousy weather, etc.

Theres too many unexplained things for scurvy to be the answer. Also they had 8000 tins with vegetables and meat so if they did all succumb to scurvy thats just another mystery. 9/24 to 15/110 is not a coincidence.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

etalian posted:

Well figuring out what happened is challenging since following expeditions only found a single note in a cairn that explained he current status. It is pretty amazing how the Inuit oral histories were so accurate all the way down to helping locate the wrecks of the Erebus.

The horror story of the Batavia by comparison had multiple primary sources since many of the survivors kept detailed diaries recording all the events that occurred in the disaster.

All our knowledge of the Batavia mutiny is basically Paelsarts testimony taken from probably tortured mutineers. There were not many publishing houses over their in indonesia. Pretty much everyone involved with the mutiny died thousands of miles away with their accounts unrecorded. The hero of the story for instance, Webbe Hayes who saved all the survivors lives.... we dont even know what the gently caress happened to him.

The mutiny was only a couple months anyway and yes we know much more about it because of Paelstarts records than the years spent on and around King William Island.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Moltke posted:

One of the Terror documentaries on youtube puts forth the theory that the high officer death count early in the expedition was due to botulism.

The idea is that, while frozen in the pack, a hunting party killed something, with Franklin and the rest of the senior staff naturally calling dibs on the fresh meat. The meat was improperly stored (possibly over the winter), and so Franklin was vomiting and making GBS threads himself before eventually expiring from respiratory failure. This wouldn't make for a very sexy story back home, so Crozier and Fitzsimmons didn't record the details.

Can't remember if there is an actual basis for the theory or if it's just speculation, but the documentaries on youtube about this are great.

Officers generally got acess to better rations and the tins were probably a godsend to the standard salted pork. One bad can could kill a few officers with the remaining officers barring the eating of cans. This would how they got through 3 years of rations in two. Theres not a lot of proof for this but its the simpliest plausible answer.

It would also explain the probable mutiny that occured. Some men starving on the island ignored croziers orders south and returned to the ships where the previously forbidden cans still were.

Despera fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jun 4, 2018

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Great moments in 19th century arctic exploration and Franklin's first failure.

quote:

Whatever doubts the officers may have had about his story gave way to gratitude when he presented them with meat, which he said had come from a hare and partridge he had managed to kill on the way.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coppermine_Expedition_of_1819%E2%80%9322

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Reading about the USS Jeannette. Stuck in the arctic ice with canned food. Doctor figured out they had lead poisoning and found the source (can soldering). Cured the crew. U S A U S A :911:

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Also had they decided to cross the Boothia Peninsula of going south they would have met Ross's rescue party that arrived 5 months after they abandoned ship.]

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

NmareBfly posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terror_Bay

They found the actually Terror in Terror Bay in 2016. It was named that in 1910. :psyduck: :tinfoil:

It was a coincidence but not as big as it sounds. Many things were named after the expedition in that area.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

They're going full blown Under the Skin aren't they?

The season is good so far. The unique (and very much topical) setting is coming into it's own and just like season 1, a full horror story is emerging.

My only critique is that the cast isn't nearly as star studded as the first season was. Good performances, I guess Jarred Harris can't physically be in everything.

Its garbage and holy poo poo is it boring

Makes me embarrassed for liking the first season

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Imagine setting your story in 1942 and needing ghosts to be scary.