Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I will watch this show when it's on sale for $5 on eBay or streaming on something, looks good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I'm almost finished the book now, I'm at the part where Crozier arrives at the Terror Camp. I really like it, it's a nice Slow Horror. I've spoiled myself a bit clicking through this thread, but since the novels flashes forwards so much, it doesn't make it less enjoyable.

Was the carnival truly as elaborate as Crozier sees it, or was his perspective skewed by scurvy? Everything seems magically fantastic, and Simmons makes a point of reminding the reader that Crozier did not allow the crew any supplies, however they have roasted bear that tastes better than anything they've had in months, everyone is drinking in quantities that they don't have access to, and the multiple colored rooms seem beyond what I would have thought the arctic conditions would allow.

Then the next chapter Goodsir talks about how one of the first symptoms of scurvy is an overwhelming home-sickness that affects the mind.

I was waiting for more descriptions of a complete break down and loss of rationality, but I think Simmons was playing it subtle, such as describing the cook's (dressed as an Asian woman) bosom being in disarray compared to earlier in the evening.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Hasselblad posted:

Mr Blanky never ceases to disappoint. Find cover? gently caress that!
Loved that Tunbaaq showed him due respect and just ran past him during his romp.

I'm almost done the book, but book Blanky was amazing as well. Before he died he mock/insulted Tunbaaq and threw his wood leg at him and faced his death like a man.

Professor Shark fucked around with this message at 01:00 on May 11, 2018

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

^^ Edited

I finished the book, why didn't Peglar get eaten? Also, is there some more to the mystery of who was piloting the ship when Crozier found it years later?

Professor Shark fucked around with this message at 01:50 on May 11, 2018

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I have a hard time telling Little and Jopson apart

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I don't know if this counts as a spoiler, but one of my favorite book details is how chipper and happy Blanky is following his encounter/s with the creature, despite being crippled and scarred from it.

I much preferred Jopson's death in the show than the book. while both made me very sad, Crozier reversing things by caring for Jopson was much nicer than a dying Jopson thinking that Crozier had abandoned him despite his loyal service, and then was left to die by the men on his 31st birthday

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I didn't like the ending. I figured they would go different from the book, but I thought they were setting Crozier up to become Tuunbaq, especially when they showed how human his face was (awesome creature design, btw).

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

So what happened with the other party? Insanity/ cannibalism? The chains were creepy. What did he say before he died?

Book Spoilers: My take on Hickey is that he had the second sight that Crozier had in the books and was being haunted by dreams of Tuunbaq. He accepts Tuunbaq as a god before it all goes wrong and cuts off his tongue, similarly to how Crozier eventually submits in the book.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I enjoyed the book version in that he was a smug self proclaimed god that very quickly learned the wrath of a real god, but I also like my head-canon for his death in the show.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST posted:

I took "loses her Tuunbaq" to mean that she's the priestess to a dead god. The show never implies that she has actual control over it. In general I'm not particularly concerned with what's in the book because everything I've heard sounds as if it was improved in the adaptation, and also that Dan Simmons is off his loving rocker.

It isn't high art, but I wouldn't dismiss it as off-the-rocker garbage. I thought of it more of a Stephen King+1 horror novel with a good dose of Patrick O'Brian style description. I think that the strongest parts of the show were when they stuck closely to the novel and that things progressively got worse the further they veered away from the source material.

Certainly the Tuunbaq stuff was cooler in the books, with an entire chapter devoted to the mythology behind it, which I know some people didn't enjoy but I found to be increasingly horrific as I realized that the ships had sailed into a monsters den and that they were doomed from the beginning IIRC they even imply that Tuunbaq would have chased the men down even if they'd made it to the river, with the waters always freezing ahead of them.

I also enjoy the ending much more, with Crozier becoming a servant to Tuunbaq after having haunted dreams of submitting to the eucharist as a child, with the priest becoming more and more monstrous.

I know TV/IV doesn't read books and all, but check it out.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

wormil posted:

I really enjoyed the season but would have preferred the monster be ambiguous. Like it was never clear whether it was a mean rear end polar bear or an evil spirit and maybe it was their desperation and superstition that made it seem supernatural. Most of the time it could have looked like a polar bear from a distance but maybe toward the end there could have been a POV shot of the monster face as it's about to eat the victim. It would have given the story another level of depth. But I hope they find some excuse to make more exploration series. More arctic stories would be great as many of those expeditions suffered.

In the book they sometimes see in the distance what could be a polar bear, only for it to get up on two legs and bumble walk like a man, an image I found very amusing.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Yeah, him dying with his last thoughts being that despite all his service and loyalty, Crozier had abandoned him, when we know (and the book stresses this even more iirc) that Crozier's primary concern is his men makes it extra painful :(

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Hasselblad posted:

I kind of dislike the end of the show due to them pretty much tossing out all of the (holy poo poo the amount of) research that Simmons did for the book. Handwaving Silence's leaving because ~made-up eskimo reason~ was so not what the end of the book was about. Kind of reminds me of the end of Dune the book compared to Dune the movie.

"It Rains" :psyduck:

I guess the show producers realized that to finish as the book did it would take a couple more episodes.
So we got "we kicked her out. It's our way" :shrug:

Honestly I thought the show declined in quality from one episode to the next and the ending was pretty bad. The book ending is much better, in my opinion.

That said, the show was good when it was good. I paid for the whole season, despite saying I would wait, after watching the first couple episodes for free on the AMC website.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I just remembered that Lady Silence lost her Tuunbaq and had to leave her community lol this show lost it at the end