Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

I hope the monster is Tuunbaq's son.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

That felt more correct, to me, than the book version where she loses all agency and just becomes Crozier’s trophy wife.
:shrug:

Marrying Crozier was her agency.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

The monster is even more op in the book.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Hasselblad posted:

I find myself liking the book a lot more in regard to what the bear is and how the story goes.
(Even stuff like how in the book it is kind of realized that the bear seems to target officers from Caesar's boat.)

To this day I am not at all certain how the bear was killed in the TV version.

Well the book mentions the prophecy that the coming of the white men will destroy the world of the Inuits in time. The ice will melt, the animals will die, etc. I don't remember what it said about the fate of the Tuunbaq specifically, but I took his death in the show as a way of highlighting the immediacy of the effect of the coming of the white men. Sort of contemporising it. The white men are here. The world is changing. The ice is already melting.

nooneofconsequence fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Dec 4, 2018

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Hasselblad posted:

So basically akin to Goldblum giving the aliens a virus in Independence Day?
Bleh.

Tupac caused ice to grow increasingly southward so it could travel there to eat all of the animals and men (in the book). The shaman made a deal with the bear to stop doing that. I don't think it targeted white men specifically, but rather non-shaman and those not protected by them. It was free to eat whatever walked into the territory set aside for it.
He may not be targeting white people but the coming of the white people signal the end of their world.

I found the text:

More or less what I remembered, except it does explicitly say this will follow the Tuunbaq's death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

One thing I liked about the first season was how it could have easily stood alone without supernatural elements. Disappointing to hear this season leans into that side more but I'll still give it a chance.