Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Hasselblad posted:

Just read the article about the actual voyages. They left Britain with 7 years worth of provisions, got stuck that year and abandoned ship in 3?

The 3 buried corpses found on Beechey Island were full of lead, either from food or the ships' heating system, so they wouldn't have been thinking rationally. The Navy sold the food distributor rights to the lowest bidder and the supplier's food cans were rushed out, badly-soldered, and filled with inferior meat to meet the demand. He put rocks in some of them. So a lot of their food was contaminated and quickly went off. In addition, the fruit juice (lemon?) they were using to prevent scurvy loses its potency after a few months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

bloom posted:

I'm not sure about the scene of captain Brutus going through the theater masks in episode 6. It's well shot, but they ramped up the sense of dread to the point where it felt ridiculous considering that nothing actually happens.

e: ep6 spoilers i guess?

His blood drips on the mask.

Comrade Koba posted:

Maybe I missed something, but I never understood why Dr. Stanley decided to kill himself and everyone else by burning the carnival tent. In the book the carnival ends when the Tuunbaq tears into the tent and kills a bunch of guys.

He knows they're all going to die and wants to give them a mercy kill.

quote:

I liked the little revelation when you find out [spoiler]Hickey isn't really Hickey, he's some criminal who murdered the real Cornelius Hickey and stole his papers.

I think this might be a nod to how show and book used the character of Hickey. They looked at a list, picked out the most villainous sounding name and made this person who died a brutal death into a monster. It's a way of saying "this character isn't the guy on the ship, no disrespect meant"

Milo and POTUS posted:

Having not read the book, that actually sounds kinda awesome if it was written well

It's based a little too much on the Masque of the Red Death. One of the characters is inspired to do it by having read that short story. There's a ticking clock and lots of different colored rooms

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Comrade Koba posted:

Huh. I hadn't thought of it that way, but that's actually pretty nice. :unsmith:

I think he might be the only character on both ships who is just bad from the start. Magnus is too simple. The others are scared or starving or they feel betrayed or their brains are full of lead.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Binary Badger posted:

As for the end (I peeked too!) I kinda wish they'd had just one more episode to explain what happened to the crew that was left behind in the ships, unless I missed something. Was hoping they might provide an explanation (or even something made up) about the story the Esquimaux mentioned when they boarded the Terror after everyone left IRL.. they claimed there was the corpse of a 'huge man with teeth the length of their fingers' below decks that they decided to leave alone.

Have you read the book? Because that's in there.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Oasx posted:

It was a little odd that they were still hauling around a ton of junk toward the end.

Real world history spoiler: What they found in the boat.

The large quantities of uneaten chocolate are the puzzling part. They resorted to cannibalism before they ran out of every piece of safe food they had. Sure, it's not nutritious but it's better than that.

Ague Proof fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Apr 11, 2018

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

bloom posted:

What was up with giving ships super ominous names? Just saying that if they were on HMS Gay Viking none of this poo poo would have happened.

You would never be able to get away with this or characters named Mr Goodsir and Magnus Manson in fiction.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

a lovely king posted:

Ah missed that! Thanks! As far as I'm aware that Dr. never appeared prominently? Not like Stanley and McDonald

Dr Peddie is only in the show because he was in the real ship's roster.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
They used to cover their faces with coal to play as 'blackamoors' in masquerades.

The carnival always feels stupid to me even though I know it's plausible. It's a bit more so in the show because the monster hasn't attacked in a while and could have died from its wounds.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Comrade Koba posted:

Of course, the real-life Harry Goodsir looked like a neckbearded proto-goon:

The book version starts off much goonier.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Caufman posted:

The creepiest thing on the show so far was the mask the shaman wore when he appeared to the dying sailor. For a second I thought that it was his face.

Based on this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Hasselblad posted:

What Poe book did the guy get the carnivale idea from?

The Masque of the Red Death. It's 3 pages long.

I know this is probably :thejoke: but those are usually funny.