Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

bloom posted:

Watched the first two episodes. Show looks really good.

Except for this. It's really not selling me on the cold. Everything on the ships looks great but outside not so much.

The land doesn't look super cold at times. That water/ice though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Ague Proof posted:

The Navy sold the food distributor rights to the lowest bidder and the supplier's food cans were rushed out, badly-soldered, and filled with inferior meat to meet the demand. He put rocks in some of them.

It's like someone got KBR to tin the rations god drat. Good to see military procurement has always been a loving mess even when dealing with the non-shooty stuff.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Anyone else digging the dialog? It's not Deadwood but it's probably best of the TV shows I'm currently watching

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

It bears repeating.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I also thought it was hilarious

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I won't blame anyone for peeking at their christmas gifts but don't spoil it for people who refuse to lol

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Quixotic1 posted:

Having never read the book I'll be sad if Goodsir dies. Who am I kidding he's definitely either going to go crazy or bites it.

He's one of my favorite characters

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Photoshop his face on the leg

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Octy posted:

Bugger me, I find this show to be unbearable to watch. It's not so much the violence, but the implied, always unexpected threat and the creeping claustrophobia of being trapped by the ice. But then, I've spoken to others about this show and none of them find it remotely scary.

Everytime you get scared think about Sir John's leg.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Be forewarned: things are not remotely pronounced like they're spelled

e: Yeah, I peeked but oh my god. Oh my loving god.

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Apr 10, 2018

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Snuffman posted:

In the book the carnival is almost an otherworldly labyrinth to the point that Crozier can't even figure out how the crew made it. Then Franklin gets eviscerated in half by Tuunbaq. .

Having not read the book, that actually sounds kinda awesome if it was written well

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Binary Badger posted:

Was hoping they might provide an explanation (or even something made up) about the story the Esquimaux mentioned when they boarded the Terror after everyone left IRL.. they claimed there was the corpse of a 'huge man with teeth the length of their fingers' below decks that they decided to leave alone.

Maybe gumline receded so far back on a guy with already big chompers?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

On the whole a drat good show that started amazing and ended pretty good. The first half was definitely stronger than the latter and the last few episodes kinda fit the definition of petering out. Even when things went bananas in the end nothing really crept me out like the diving scene.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Late show spoilers: theres a lot of promise for a man faced giant bear god. Even so, it's rarely as creepy as it should be

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Hasselblad posted:

I just started the book, so will go looking in TBB now

“He wanted me to go because he’d have a living breathing descendant and an academic at the same time who was going to restore some of the respectability.”
*restores respectability to ancestor by digging up the corpse*

You know, I have always wondered what my great great great grandfather was like.

If he waited long enough on the franklin expedition, full of seamen.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I still think the dialogue/monologue and the delivery of it was the standout of the show. Again, it's not deadwood good and there were pacing issues (especially towards the end) and occasionally obscure poo poo happening about the midway point but man the writing was so drat solid at a ton of places. My biggest fault with the show was the sound.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Good old laudanum with coke as a topical or something

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

You could say he really sucks dick!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Also couldn't tell all or at least some of these drat white guys apart.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Wooper posted:

Besides lost expeditions I think there is series potential for some of the not so lost ones. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nansen%27s_Fram_expedition

Several of the Antarctic ones are rife with drama. With returning characters as well.

I'll not witness the death of Mrs. Chippy on cable Tv

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

They weren't that fast or he wouldn't have caught them.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Phi230 posted:

It's a good thing the show is done after this season and that these dumb goon anthology ideas aren't coming to pass

Its adapting a book, not a pulp magazine, any future anthology would be poo poo, like game of thrones after they stopped adapting the books

Yeah, not like any impossibly crazy poo poo happened in real world explorations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

jfood posted:

chances are Hickey became a murderous cannibal, regardless of artistic lisence.

Listen buddy. He was a reluctant cannibal.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Plus if you didn't know what they were called it might have taken forever to figure out the search terms.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

bitchymcjones posted:

It was a let me google that for you, which I interpret as being an rear end in a top hat.

Edit: getting back on track, here’s a deviant art Tuunbaq and Hickey

Ugh. No.

He was being an rear end in a top hat, especially with how you worded it which is to say an observation of cool Victorian explorer's fashion.

e: slash fic has gone too far because it doesnt even look like the Tuunbaq. He's just perving on a regular polar bear now

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 20:18 on May 6, 2018

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Vaporware posted:

I feel like the Arby's "BBQ MEAT" ads as aired don't work with the subject matter.

*INTENSE CLOSEUP OF MEAT FIBERS*

edit - Carls Jr. also a culprit. barrrrrf

I'd rather eat hardee's any day than say McDonalds

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Hasselblad posted:

I want an alternate ending where Mr Blanky and Tuunbaq become grudgingly friends out of mutual badass respect, and Blanky rides on Tuunbaq's back having arctic adventures .

Read arctic as erotic.... god I need to some food and some sleep

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

Even if it was a regular giant rear end polar bear and not a mystical bear, they probably couldn't do much to touch it, fuckers have been recorded at 2 tons, an 1850's bullet isn't gonna do much to it nor even a small indirect cannon hit. Honestly I wouldn't even want to go up against one today with a modern assault rifle in good weather.

The small arms the marines had would probably do more damage than you think (especially cumulatively) and likely less damage than I think. And if it was firing a single round shot those swivel guns in particular were capable of shooting roughly 1.5 inch projectiles which would most likely cause some serious and permanent damage on a normal bear, even one at 4k pounds. Of course the drat thing seemed to have super healing and preternatural cleverness because it was after all not a real bear.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

etalian posted:

The show really captured how agonizing the final days of the expedition would have been since some ice ridges can be up to 20 feet tall.

The arctic really seems like a different sort of hell compared to say the Amazon basin, sub-saharan africa, or even Antarctica.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Wow, post your fetish much

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I loved that he had to sit alone and take his canabalism with fork and knife: there must be an officer's table!

Say what you will, Fakey respected the rank.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

They should just do one every year for all the other doomed expeditions. Would anyone actually object

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Goodsir was also a criminal who stole an identity but a big believer in nominative determinism

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

He stole the name Goodsir and thought he should act accordingly because he believed in nominative determinism.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Hasselblad posted:

Uh, I don't think these guys read the book very closely toward it's end. It was not "her Tuunbaq". It was a literal god (there was only one) that the shamans kept at bay with offerings so it would not come and devour their peoples souls. They did not control it and it wasn't their pet. The reason it was not nice with the white sailors is that the Shaman's agreement was that Tuunbaq could have the entire arctic for itself and only the Shaman would venture there.

The arrangement didn't mention the Shawoman though.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I'll not have Mrs. Chippy and the sled dogs be put down on camera

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

LesterGroans posted:

The cast was incredible. It was a deep bench too. Even when the ranks thinned out in the later episode the increased focus on background characters paid off well. It was heartbreaking when John Bridgens went off to die alone with his partner's journal.

Were they def an item or was it just speculation?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

grobbo posted:

https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/the-terror-renewed-amc-1202854102/

It’s coming back!

The S2 concept sounds great to me - I’m very excited about this as the Globetrotting Horror Folklore + Man’s Long History Of Inhumanity To Man Show, as opposed to them tackling another expedition, or another disappearance.

I was very impressed with the first season so I'll watch it through but I don't know if it'll be quite the same.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

The emmys are loving trash anyways, gently caress them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Hasselblad posted:

I want nothing less than a mummified leg in a stocking and shoe.

That was the funniest loving thing when I first saw it