Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
Loving it so far with one issue: The voices are mostly mumbled with heavy accents. Watched it first when it aired and couple only make out like 25% of the words spoken. Just watched it online with headphones and I had to struggle to make it all out. I am wondering if it is an AMC sound mixing issue as TWD has the same fault (among a slew of others).

As far as the cold, if not for the crew looking quite comfy all the time, I can buy into it. I do have to wonder what they are using for fire fuel.
Dried poo poo?

Good to see Black Jack Randal getting more work.

Ian Hart needs more screen time. He really stood out for me in the first EPs for some reason.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Mar 30, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
Just read the article about the actual voyages. They left Britain with 7 years worth of provisions, got stuck that year and abandoned ship in 3?

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Ague Proof posted:

The 3 buried corpses found on Beechey Island were full of lead, either from food or the ships' heating system, so they wouldn't have been thinking rationally. The Navy sold the food distributor rights to the lowest bidder and the supplier's food cans were rushed out, badly-soldered, and filled with inferior meat to meet the demand. He put rocks in some of them. So a lot of their food was contaminated and quickly went off. In addition, the fruit juice (lemon?) they were using to prevent scurvy loses its potency after a few months.

Sounds like a book purchase is in my future.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Not much point in those of us not binging ahead to bother with this thread anymore it seems.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

I just started the book, so will go looking in TBB now

etalian posted:

Here's a interesting articles on ice mummies from Franklin's doomed expedition

http://www.macleans.ca/society/face-to-face-with-a-franklin-crew-member-140-years-later/

“He wanted me to go because he’d have a living breathing descendant and an academic at the same time who was going to restore some of the respectability.”
*restores respectability to ancestor by digging up the corpse*

You know, I have always wondered what my great great great grandfather was like.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Apr 15, 2018

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Milo and POTUS posted:

My biggest fault with the show was the sound.

Really glad it's not just me. I literally cannot make out what they are saying a good 50% of the time.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Shitenshi posted:

I've seen stuff spoilered right after airing on other stuff, not taking chances. I sometimes have trouble understanding the dialogue, but I think it's a bit of their accents.

Yeah the dialogue is where I am struggling. Not the accents but rather something odd with AMC's mixing I suspect. Many times on TWD I have the same issue.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Really glad the ice master guy survived the attack. One of my favorite characters so far. You'd think a ship would have some kind of drugs to knock someone out before they hack off a leg. Chloroform or something.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Apr 18, 2018

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

JustinMorgan posted:

Why did they bury some of the dead and stow others below deck?

IIRC earlier on they were ice bound next to an island where they could bury. Later they are ice bound not all that close to solid land.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Reading the book as I watch the show (not at the same time mind you). It's a mite confusing how they jump back and forth time wise with the chapters, and makes it hard to figure out if I am overshooting the show.

Sir John's death in the book was hella worse IMHO. I stopped after the chapter where Hickey is caught with his pants down.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Only thing that I :psyduck: about the episode was the in-charge doctor acting ho-hum about the obvious lead poisoning and the next moment lighting everything, himself included, on fire. Really escalated quickly. Was watching on a horrible old small TV where everything was too dark. Did pooh bear bite her tongue out? To match her state in the book

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Just got done reading the Mr Blanky chapter where he was getting away from the bear.

BAD

rear end

I mean, he did not disappoint in the show version of it, but his inner dialogue in the book is gob-loving hard core.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Apr 26, 2018

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Fartbox posted:

Tuunbaq looked appropriately hosed up I thought. It looked like a really twisted and weird polar bear with a hosed up face

Looks like the monkey. :tinfoil:

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

etalian posted:

I think the show was a good example of how not showing the creature is often the better approach since it ended up looking goofy especially when getting clowned on by the Chad Ice master.

Anything is foppish and clownlike when faced by the badassery of Mr Blanky.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Jikes posted:

I just watched Ep 7 and holy poo poo, talk about a slow burn. This show has a huge cast even after six episodes of picking people off, but everyone brought their A game to this one. I read the novel on vacation a couple of years ago and thought it was entertaining if nothing special, but transmuted to film with these performances (and a bunch of well-judged narrative adjustments) it's so much better than the source material. Goodsir, Hickey, Crozier and Fitzjames were standouts but what a chilling, moving ensemble performance from everyone. I kept rewinding to rewatch scenes and catch all the subtleties.

My only criticism beyond not understanding much of the dialogue, is that they are increasingly acting like it is a mild spring day compared to the literal -170 to -100 degrees in the book. Haven't gotten to Hicky sunbathing and getting all stabby in the book yet, but unless it suddenly became warm (which would make me personally haul rear end back to the ships) then the show is being silly.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 20:05 on May 2, 2018

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Jikes posted:

They're currently in the brief Arctic summer, so the temperatures would be in the mid-fifties Farenheit (about 10C I think?), and in the middle of a bare rock plain a lot of that heat would be reflected, raising the ambient temperature during the daytime. It wouldn't be swimsuit weather, but it would be a far cry from the winter temperatures in the same spot. That part didn't seem unbelievable to me.

I haven't gotten to that point in the book yet, but I did not think they jumped directly over to summer already.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

My biggest disappointment this season was when they pulled up to this giant ice mountain like "well gently caress me, eh?" and then one scene change later they are over the mountain and have made camp! :pwn:

I needed a little more catharsis after the ice-trek...

I cannot recall if they had the sledges on the other side. Since the other side was basically landfall I assume they just carried the supplies over in small chunks. Otherwise I agree, pretty fooking jarring.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Milo and POTUS posted:

Listen buddy. He was a reluctant cannibal.

He struck me as the one putting human meat in the mouths of others rather than his own.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

bitchymcjones posted:

I want an officer’s coat with the old timey sunglasses.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=glacier+glasses

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

bitchymcjones posted:

Wow, thanks. I could have never done that on my own. Just because I want them doesn’t mean I’m going to actually buy them.

Don't be all bitchy, McJones. I actually looked into them for high elevation hiking in snow a few years back. Julbo makes reasonably priced ones.

You should buy them. Or alternately have a drink and relax. Sheesh.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

What Poe book did the guy get the carnivale idea from?

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

This was such a great scene, I have loved watching their relationship evolve...after they've both had such harsh words for each other and then gone through such hardships, it's cathartic to see them reconcile honestly with one another.

Really thought Hickey was going to get away with it, so I was shocked when we got to "Terror Camp clear!" and the gallows scene. Then I was shocked again when Tunbaaq came roaring out of Plot Left to decimate the crew again. I guess Tunbaaq is ironically against capital punishment?
:shrug:

This show has been so fantastic and they have done so much with so little, mostly down to the phenomenal casting and acting! I am really glad they went with a limited series because AMC would squeeze this like a python if it went a second season.

Also, :bandwagon: on the great intro. I love the design of the whole thing and the haunting music fits perfectly. Watching the ships get packed in and tilt as spears of ice erupt around them is a treat every week and reminds me of how great it was to see them put in details like leveling the tables with ropes in the first half of the show.
:swoon:

What I do not get is if the creature is sentient and after those that harm the Eskimo, then wouldn't it have targeted Hickey with a vengeance?

One of the best episodes. Loved that the captains actually take everything with a grain of salt and question anything remotely implausible. Only downside is shades of TWD-like plot armor for Hickey.
Negan v2.0

Mr Blanky never ceases to disappoint. Find cover? gently caress that!
Loved that Tunbaaq showed him due respect and just ran past him during his romp.

Iodised QQ posted:

So Tunbaaq was straight up eating that last guy's soul or something right before the episode ended, right

That's the only thing I can think of that the weird face distortion that was going on would represent

I just caught up with this thread and while really liking the show, I do agree with the general thread sentiment that the supernatural elements of it have been it's weakest part. Can Tunbaaq just magically heal crozier and Brutus using previously devoured souls so I can watch a series of them endlessly wandering around chatting in the frozen wastes, because I'd watch the hell out of that show

I took it to be some kind of vampiric healing thing after being shot with a rocket.

I am falling way behind with the book. Need to catch up to see what is different. On a related note: Found that I swapped my Blizzaks off of my wrangler too early when I tried to traverse what I though was only a couple inches of remaining snow (shaded last a while) near one of the mountain passes I hoped to get through. I pulled a Sir John and full steamed ahead. Turned out it was a foot or more. I was out in flipflops shorts and tee digging a path through the snow for my tires so I could push it backward while my wife drove. I kept a stiff upper lip and was thankful the bears up there are not magic.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 23:04 on May 8, 2018

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Professor Shark posted:

I'm almost done the book, but book Blanky was amazing as well. Before he died he mock/insulted Tunbaaq and threw his wood leg at him and faced his death like a man.

You do realize that some of us are neither done with the book nor the show, right?

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Just got caught up book wise with Irving. Even more heartbreaking in the book, having him getting so excited with the natives and knowing he is about to get shanked repeatedly by the sociopath.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Neat. Also neat is watching the videos from prior to them finding them.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Took you fookin long enough...

STICK A FORK IN IT, MR BLANKY!

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Shitenshi posted:

Did I miss it, or did Fitzjames die there? And I'm surprised Goodsir hasn't done an honor suicide to spite Hickey.

No need to spoil it. He died and was buried. I would have expected Goodsir to drug the meat, but he likely didn't have anything left. And what would be the point?

I honestly do not understand why Hickey's men would risk their lives just to get the captain. Beyond needless additional drama.
I can understand Hickey doing it because he's a monumental dick, but why would the men do it?

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Fartbox posted:

Gotta do somethin'

Nah, there was enough going on.

:geno: "Mr Hickey, we think we should return to the ship and sail out of here, leaving the monster bear to continue after the group we left"
:redass: "That sounds like a plan. However what if did not do that and instead you guys go risk your necks to kidnap the captain because ~reason~"
:geno: "But Mr Blanky will kick our arses!"
:redass: "It is worth the risk because *mumbles unintelligibly*"
:geno: "Um, well you haven't led us astray yet Mr Hickey, and your plot armor is godlike. Let's do it, pip pip!"

Hard to believe only one EP left. I hope Mr Blanky did some damage to the tuunbuq

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 15:58 on May 15, 2018

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

I want an alternate ending where Mr Blanky and Tuunbaq become grudgingly friends out of mutual badass respect, and Blanky rides on Tuunbaq's back having arctic adventures .

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

LadyPictureShow posted:

All the deaths were sad and handled well, Crozier seeing out Fitzjames, Jopson and Blanky were all really good (in the sense of acting and emotional weight), Blanky finding/marking the Northwest passage when he went off alone :(

Hey, Neither in the book nor the show did Mr Blanky ever get killed. In the book, apparently Tuunbaq just gives him a big bear hug
Not murder unless there is a body. :colbert:
Syrio Forel and all that.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Milo and POTUS posted:

Read arctic as erotic.... god I need to some food and some sleep

Alternately, Blanky kills Tuunbaq, skins it and assumes it's fursona.

Cojawfee posted:

I finished the last half of the last episode. This show went from really cool to bad and dumb.

Can you be more specific? Beyond the ridiculous "hey lets have you minions kidnap the captain" part.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 04:26 on May 16, 2018

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

etalian posted:

The Chad Ice Masters last laugh against the virgin Tuunbaq

He should have drunk enough rum to give Tuunbaq alcohol poisoning as well.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

etalian posted:

His final gently caress off statement was so amazing, "What took you so fooking long?"

FTFY. Blanky > Tuunbaq

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Hickey on the show and Hickey in the book: I cannot grasp how he wasn't outright killed by his shipmates after all of the weak lawyering he attempted. Just to shut him up.

Trying to keep the show and book reading at the same timeframe is a challenge. 1 EP left and my read still has 20%+ remaining.
Goodsir just gave his rundown to Hickey concerning the best practices for cannibalism and pointing out why Hickey wants to take the infirm and surgeon with him

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 16:40 on May 19, 2018

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

etalian posted:

The actor for Hickey is really good especially moments like his gallows moment when he tells all the information that Crozier witheld.

Yet he really didn't have a defense for having repeatedly stabbing the lieutenant and cutting off his dinker while prancing about nekkid, and then massacring a group of friendly natives. Aaaaand people continued to follow the guy. :psyduck:

He is really good in the role. It's just the fact that he is able to get away with such things in both the book and series. The book is even less believable, the whole gallows thing not being a thing. I'll be honest, maybe I fell asleep and missed a chapter but in the book it really isn't explained how he is not immediately executed.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 22:22 on May 19, 2018

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

etalian posted:

He got saved by a Tuunbaq Ex Machina

Well yeah in the TV series. (even so that does not excuse guys still willing to follow him.) In the book they pretty much have all the evidence that he killed the lieutenant and natives but then do absolutely nothing beyond continuing to be suspicious of the guy.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Milo and POTUS posted:

Goodsir was also a criminal who stole an identity but a big believer in nominative determinism

Uh, you mean Hickey?

How exactly did tuunbaq die? Choked on the chain?

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Milo and POTUS posted:

Goodsir was also a criminal who stole an identity

?

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Milo and POTUS posted:

He stole the name Goodsir and thought he should act accordingly because he believed in nominative determinism.

I must have missed that in the bad dialogue audio. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

BlackJosh posted:

Kinda sad how little Lady Silence was used compared to the book

She did seem to just be there because she was in the book, without actually doing what she did in the book.

Dunno which Hickey death was less satisfying, book or TV. Book seemed to veer toward Stephen King than the abruptness of the show.