Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I didn't read the thread because I haven't watched Ep2 yet so this might have been mentioned--- I noticed my Dish dvr wasn't going to record Ep3 coming up and I had to set a manual timer. Just a heads up to anyone with DN.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
This show is phenomenal but I have to turn on closed captioning to understand half of what they say. That isn't exactly a criticism.

I watch it with my daughter and she let me tell her a "spoiler" that they only relatively recently identified Mr Goodsir's remains. I found it humorous that she was disappointed. She said he is her favorite character. I don't think she understood the significance of the first episodes.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
The saddest thing about this show is that it's going to end. Be kinda hard to make a sequel, unless they show all following ships that were also stuck in the ice while looking for them or for the passage.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Dan Simmons (along with Frank Herbert) are my favorite two authors.
drat, it's that Dan Simmons, I didn't make the connection.

Cojawfee posted:

... the mystical bear or whatever really pisses me off because nothing they do seems to even affect it.

It's just a guess, but I've been assuming it's a wendigo. I also wouldn't assume the narrators or witnesses to be reliable. I do agree they shouldn't have shown it with a human-ish face because that was borderline corny.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I would have to said to hell with the boats and booked it south. Of course if the south side of the island is as barren as the center, they would be hosed but they are already hosed so there isn't much to lose. At least you might be able to fish or hunt seal. 20/20 hindsight and they were navy men, not survivalists. Even still, I can't understand why they sat around eating contaminated food knowing it would only make them more feeble.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

15,000-25,000 calories per man per day versus extended rationing waiting for the ice to thaw.

Speaking as someone who has pulled an akio for days on end up and down mountains in Alaska, that is unlikely. Granted an akio is not a boat sledge but they could never have burned that many calories and lived more than a week unless they were athletes in prime physical condition. Sailors with scurvy and lead poisoning, suffering from malnutrition and probably dehydration; no loving way.

edit; to be clear, I'm not calling you a liar or anything I'm sure someone broke out their calculator and put a lot of thought into coming up with those numbers but in reality there is no way they could sustain that amount of effort and live. They might do it once, or twice, but they would need days between to recover physically.

wormil fucked around with this message at 06:11 on May 24, 2018

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I really enjoyed the season but would have preferred the monster be ambiguous. Like it was never clear whether it was a mean rear end polar bear or an evil spirit and maybe it was their desperation and superstition that made it seem supernatural. Most of the time it could have looked like a polar bear from a distance but maybe toward the end there could have been a POV shot of the monster face as it's about to eat the victim. It would have given the story another level of depth. But I hope they find some excuse to make more exploration series. More arctic stories would be great as many of those expeditions suffered.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I think Hickey saw the writing on the wall and was proactive in making plans for when things went to hell. He lacked the blind faith and optimism many had in the captains, especially after learning Crozier was going to leave. It's not so different than how many of us build networks inside and outside our workplace but Hickey was twisted + scurvy + lead + hopelessness, and his plans became insane. Although given the situation there is another way of looking at it .. he understood they were going to die and the only possible way out was joining with this powerful spirit. If your choices are die or insane plan, why not try the insane plan?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Been awhile since anything on the HMS Bounty which is a fascinating story.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

LadyPictureShow posted:

In cool science stuff, here’s an article about how they figured out one of the skeletons was Goodsir:
http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2011/07/skeleton-may-help-solve-mystery-doomed-franklin-expedition

Good read. I had been under the wrong impression that lead solder contaminated cans were known, documented event, not just speculation.

https://www.the-scientist.com/?articles.view/articleNo/50012/title/DNA-Analysis-Throws-New-Light-on-the-1845-Franklin-Arctic-Expedition/

quote:

mitochondrial DNA analysis supported a western European origin for the crew—consistent with historical accounts ... It also increased the minimum number of individuals at Erebus Bay from 11 to 21, and suggested movement of remains between sites some decades after the crew perished...

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Sorry if this was posted but I didn't see it, more details on S2.

https://www.amc.com/shows/the-terror/talk/2018/06/the-terror-renewed-for-season-2

quote:

The next iteration, co-created and executive-produced by Alexander Woo (True Blood) and Max Borenstein (Kong: Skull Island, Godzilla), will be set during World War II and center on an uncanny specter that menaces a Japanese-American community from its home in Southern California to the internment camps to the war in the Pacific. The second season will also once again be executive-produced by legendary filmmaker Ridley Scott.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
And if there is a monster, it's implied, shown sparingly, left to conjecture; just don't stick it out there like a cheap horror movie.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
The dive scene was very atmospheric. One of my favorite scenes. The monster being a polar bear would have worked, their paranoia and fear making it "a monster," but when it became a bear-like spirit with a stupid face it stopped being scary and started being silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Watched the first episode and didn't like it.