Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Watched the first two eps last night, this show creeps me out. They really set the tone well. Walking to that first cairn... drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Liking the series, but kind of wish they'd gone more man vs nature instead of vs ghost bear.

The scenes where they're experiencing the desolation are my favorites by far. The cairn scene... chilling. They may as well have been on another planet.

Other than that, series is good and I wish Sir John and his perfect white stockinged leg was around for more of it.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

I was about to post how much I like the background sounds of the ships creaking and groaning.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Just finished the last episode. My only quibble with the series was Hickey. you saw him coming from a mile away. And who would follow this guy, anyway? Most of those low level guys had never been on an arctic voyage, so there's no way in hell they'll survive alone.

I thought the rest was stellar. Watching this with headphones on was the best. I need to find recording of ships creaking and popping for my white noise at night.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Hasselblad posted:

Syrio Blanky lives, and will be the main character in season 2.

He should have crawled out of Tuunbaq's mouth, covered in utensils, and murdered Hickey.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Low Desert Punk posted:

I figured you're supposed to be aware of how manipulative and creepy Hickey is from his very first appearances, I never got the feeling it was supposed to be a surprise. He stands out from the rest of the crew with how he behaves, and the more perceptive crew members (Goodsir, Crozier) pick up on it immediately.

Oh, for sure. It just seemed shoehorned in. Show still would've been specatacular without having A Guy With An Agenda. Just the survival stuff, and the interaction with Silence and her people, would've been plenty of moody tension to keep it going. Add internal strife after they've been stuck in the ice for a while when it would naturally happen - don't have a guy who stole another guy's identity jump on the boat and start jacking up stuff before anything interesting happens.

I did like how Tuunbaq had human-like ears, though. I thought it added a nice creepy detail that I hadn't noticed before.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

I'm clicking like mad and only get blank youtube page!

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Despera posted:

The guy Hickey was based on was a loving pharmacist and accrued about 40 followers to do far more evil things than the book.

Really! I had no idea. I'm assuming he's based on the Batavia guy? I think I found some new reading to do!

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Finally got the wife to watch the first episode last night. loving chills in the first scene when the native guy relays the expedition's last message to the search party... "We are gone."

Goddamn.

She's shuffling the kid off to bed so she can watch more :getin:

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

That would be harrowing in modern gear. In that era's stuff... They needed a separate platform to support their balls.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Just ordered the Frozen in Time book to further my obsession with the expedition. Wife just saw Sir John's perfect, stockinged leg last night. I told her I would hang it on my wall, with pride.

Actually, I might make it my av... maybe use his "greatest argonauts of our time" speech for text :getin:

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Hasselblad posted:

They should sell Franklin Leg Lamps.
(Or use them as major awards)

:chanpop:

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Goddamn, Frozen in Time was really good. It's a fairly quick read if you're at all interested in the Franklin stuff.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Hasselblad posted:

Tupac caused ice to grow increasingly southward

He could affect the weather, but not the bullets

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

I thought Chernobyl was the Terror season 2...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Caufman posted:

The Franklin Expedition made an extraordinarily good setting for all kinds of fantastic horror like cannibalism and the supernatural. I don't normally go for horror, but The Terror Season 1's setting hooked me right away. I did not get very far at all into Season 2

:same:

Season 1 was great, but 2 lost me after 3 or 4 episodes.

I still really realllllllllllly wish I could download the ambient sounds of the ships in ice from season 1, I could zone out to that stuff for hours.