Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
I enjoyed the first ep. The characters so far are a little bit caricatured, but I think that's just the writers trying to be economical. The production value so far is great, definitely living up to the standard set by the team in the first season. It's creepy and deliberate. Looking forward to the next ep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
I really tried to like this season but here's what's not working for me:

1. Making the supernatural element an actual main character. This is such a misstep in terms of framing the narrative that I'm amazed the concept wasn't scrapped in early edits. It's a completely different method of storytelling than season one, which, I guess, props for trying something new or whatever, but it falls so flat that I can't help but lose any sense of tension or fear. Demystifying the malevolent force that pursues the protagonist turns the tone right around from season one, because now it becomes just generational melodrama, which is way less scary than a show called The Terror ought to be.

2. The dialogue is getting worse and worse. In the most recent ep (7), Amy asks Chester what he's up to, and he says with some irony, "Just enjoying the great American landscape." Apart from the clunkiness of the line itself, holy cow no one talks like that! Jesus. They give him these lines to underscore his position as a child of two cultures, as if the title of the first episode of the series didn't do it enough. That's just one example but all of his lines do to with the military or his family are so heavy-handed that he's almost completely caricature rather than character. This goes for almost all the main roles and most of the supporting ones. Ken comes to mind here as another particularly egregious example.

3. As a direct result of 2, character writing feels incredibly forced. In the most recent ep the example that struck me was Major Bowen recovering from his brief capture. He has Amy change the bandage over his eye, then he gets up and walks to the table, picks a carnation from the vase, and gives it to a reluctant Amy. There is nothing in his character that makes this action believable. It's just there to add melodrama, but falls right into farce. Even when actions are more reasoned and grounded in character, like Chester marching out the gate after receiving the package of unopened letters, they still come off as hollow since the characters aren't very strong.

The first season is still great but unfortunately creates a huge contrast in quality with the second season.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
What a weird season. I finished watched out of inertia and not because I was invested in the characters or what was happening. Everything about Yuko and how the undead operate seemed poorly thought-out, with the exception of her afterlife home, which was cool. But the rules of possession, the effects it has on people, how she acts as a spirit without a body, all of that stuff is just kind of haphazardly elided over in order to allow the story to progress in fits and starts. What's more, that wouldn't even be a problem if a) how she does things wasn't the narrative's linchpin, and b) the show did a better job of making me care about either her or the other characters. I didn't feel any investment in Chester and Luz, nor in their families, nor in Yuko, owing to the reasons I outlined before. What a disappointment after the first season.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

Calling it "The Terror" probably confused some network exec who assumed it was supposed to be about scary monsters. I don't know how else they could have taken what could have been a really cool, real history story about a stranded ship and a possible polar bear attack and turned it into the mess it ended up as.

The monster element is in the book.