Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I like the man faced bear. The grotesque appearance adds to the weirdness.

Also, here's one of those virgin/chad memes that I laughed about, which contains spoilers for those who haven't watched past the release schedule
https://i.imgur.com/ogGXRzW.png

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

Yeah, if the bear's face had been all hosed up like that I would've loved the creature design.

Here's a storyboard image from the scene with the first reveal

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Bligh's story of the mutiny on the Bounty and the subsequent many thousand mile voyage over open sea in a tiny boat is a story stranger than fiction.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Rum, sodomy and the slash

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

JustinMorgan posted:

What were those bruises and lesions all over him? Is that what scurvy does to you? Lead poisoning from the cans?

Yeah, scurvy will do that.
It causes your connective tissues to soften and disintegrate, which means you get exciting things like your teeth falling out, old scars reopening, and bruises showing up really easily.
The kids who crashed in that airplane in the Andes in the 70's all got scurvy and described their loose teeth as "wiggling around like broken old piano keys"

Here's an illustration from an 1840's Royal Navy ship's doctor.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Milo and POTUS posted:

The small arms the marines had would probably do more damage than you think (especially cumulatively) and likely less damage than I think. And if it was firing a single round shot those swivel guns in particular were capable of shooting roughly 1.5 inch projectiles which would most likely cause some serious and permanent damage on a normal bear, even one at 4k pounds. Of course the drat thing seemed to have super healing and preternatural cleverness because it was after all not a real bear.

In the 19th century, Lloyds of London required merchant ships to be armed with small cannons if they were to be insured. The idea was that a 1 pounder or two on the deck would be enough to dissuade opportunistic boarders and casual piracy.

But even the relatively dinky 1 pound cannon is throwing a ball nearly 2 inches in diameter. The one in the scene looks about that size. A 1 pounder weighs a little over 100 pounds and can be handled by two men. (Erebus had a 6 pounder cannon, but that was ~700 lbs and way too big to be mounted on a swivel and would be in a carriage instead)
Google tells me a 1 pounder of the era would be firing at about 1400 ft/second, which is in the neighborhood of a .44 Magnum loaded extra hot. You can hunt polar bears and cape buffalo with .44 magnum. So, it's a 1 lb ball about midway between a golf ball size and tennis ball size firing at .44 magnum speeds delivering 20-30x the energy that the 44 magnum is.

That is sufficient to ruin a polar bear's day. If a body shot didn't kill it outright it would still certainly be a mortal wound. But this is a supernatural being so :shrug:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Jikes posted:

Of African exploration debacles too. It's interesting to read contemporary accounts of Stanley's expeditions and then contrast them to modern accounts that use multiple primary sources. If there's a hell, Stanley's likely burning in it.

Not everyone can be a Captain Spaulding

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

It's going to be a smoke monster.
Combined with the polar bear monster it will be revealed that this all exists in the LOST universe

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I just finished George Takei's graphic novel about his experience in an internment camp and it was really good. As a kid he was told by the older kids that the barbed wire and guards were to keep dinosaurs out, but the book never mentioned anything about ghosts. Different camp, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Did anyone catch the first episode of S2 last night? I have it on the DVR for this evening.

I did! Pretty neat. I guess the entire series is available for AMC Premiere subscribers, but I'm not one of them.