Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I don't know how far along the show is, I've seen up until around the middle of episode 10. I really enjoyed it until it went off the deep end and completely fell apart around episode 8. I really like the 1800s aesthetic but the mystical bear or whatever really pisses me off because nothing they do seems to even affect it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I finished the last half of the last episode. This show went from really cool to bad and dumb.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think you have an extra zero on those calories.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I guess knowing it's supposed to be a horror show won't make it as bad. I had no idea this show was supposed to be a fantasy horror show and came in assuming it was a historical telling of trying to find the northwest passage.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The sad thing about tuunbaq incels is that the group was started by a female tuunbaq frustrated about not being able to find a mate, but then the male tuunbaq incels showed up and threatened to kill her and got themselves banned from tuunbaq Reddit for being assholes.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
That trip under the ice was truly terrifying. Especially since the guy was scared and he should have been used to being underwater.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

wormil posted:

The dive scene was very atmospheric. One of my favorite scenes. The monster being a polar bear would have worked, their paranoia and fear making it "a monster," but when it became a bear-like spirit with a stupid face it stopped being scary and started being silly.

This is how I felt. If it was just a hungry polar bear that they were freaking out about, that would have been neat. But instead it was some weird monster with a weird face that had magical "can't die" powers.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Even if it is a monster, there needs to be a way for them to stop it, if only temporarily. That scene where the monster rips through their camp and nothing they do even phases it pissed me off beyond belief. An unstoppable monster isn't scary as a viewer. I just go into "I guess they will all just die until the monster gets bored and leaves" mode. If the monster was ripping people apart, but they were able to shoot it enough times to scare it off, that would have made things much more tense for me. There has to be some way for the characters to win, no matter how difficult it is.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Crimpolioni posted:

Is this not what keeps happening?

Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but to me it seemed like them shooting it did absolutely nothing and it left on its own.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Martian Manfucker posted:

I hope they do a good job paying respects to the history of that time like they did in season 1 and it's not just a monster movie. And I say that as someone who had no idea season 1 had a monster in it but ended up loving its inclusion.

It has George Takei in it, and he was in an internment camp, so I'm sure he would make sure it's accurate to his experience.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Keyser_Soze posted:

The supernatural stuff is dumb in both seasons, but really dumb in this one. I like the rest though, they could have a great story just with that, but I know, not the point for a "horror" show. :classiclol:

I would have loved the first season without the magic. The show could have still been scary if it was just a normal polar bear in addition to people going crazy with lead poisoning. The magic bear with the human face being real and not a hallucination ruined it and took me out of the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Calling it "The Terror" probably confused some network exec who assumed it was supposed to be about scary monsters. I don't know how else they could have taken what could have been a really cool, real history story about a stranded ship and a possible polar bear attack and turned it into the mess it ended up as.