Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Team: Minnesota

Record: 13-3

What sucked:
Falling apart in the NFC Championship. Each side of the ball had about one drive in which they looked competent before the Eagles just steamrolled them. I don't mind losing as much as I hate feeling uncompetitive and that was the NFC Championship in a nutshell. Losing Dalvin Cook early in the season also sucked.

What was good:
The defense. The last few years, they've been a "young team on the rise" and this year it arrived. Vikings have elite players at all three levels, consistency at each position and one of the best defensive coaches in football. They historically good on third down. Adam Thielen and Stefon Diggs also emerged as arguably the best WR duo in the league. Dalvin Cook also looked great prior to his ACL injury, giving the Vikings one hell of a set of complimentary players.

Most disappointing player:
This is kind of tough as most everyone on their team lived up to their billing. Probably Laquon Treadwell. He was a first rounder who after being barely active his rookie season, was given the outside starting job and did almost nothing with it. When you're a WR mainly contributing as a run blocker, that's a problem. It just didn't matter cause of Thielen/Diggs.

Unexpectedly good:
Case Keenum, hands down. Thielen I didn't expect to become a top 10 WR but he always seemed like a solid, underrated contributor. But Keenum just came out of no where and provided some excellent QBing even if some of it was compensated by the Vikings receivers. It wasn't all smoke and mirrors, though - he actually has a deft pocket presence and was aggressive in getting the ball to guys. After years of check down play, whether because they physically couldn't (Ponder), reluctant to do it (Teddy) or too busy getting planted in the backfield (Bradford), this was a exciting as hell to watch.

Best moment:
Minneapolis Miracle, a moment so good, even Joe Buck made a good card.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_AyI8I4O3U

Draft needs:
OL and DL depth. Vikings either need a new starting G or starting RT, depending on what they do with Mike Remmers and Rashod Hill. I'm included to move Remmers back to RT, let hill be a swing tackle and pick up a solid starting G. A lot of talk about Billy Price, given his past relationship with Vikings C Pat Elflein (and Spielman does value college chemistry). I don't know much about any of the Gs this year besides Nelson being a monster and Price tore his pec at the combine. Given the way pec injuries derailed the Vikings line a few years ago, it makes me nervous but whatever. Also need some DL depth because while the Viking front 4 is elite, you need to be 2 deep to compete with the Eagles.

Hopes for 2018:
Super Bowl, homeboy. Kirk Cousins and Sheldon Richardson shore up the biggest holes on the roster with quality talent. Vikings got bills coming on some younger stars, so this year is going to be their last best chance to win the Super Bowl before they need to really start hitting in the draft to keep the team replenished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread