Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

We us P6. My engineers tend to show 60-80 hours a week because we don't understand how to load and balance resources.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

CarForumPoster posted:

Most of the good PMs I know are lucky to get "begruding respect" out of the engineers working their projects. Its hard to tell someone to deliver something at a precise time they didn't decide and them be like "yea sounds great, you're great".

As a manager of an engineering group this is basically how we feel about PMs. They are either garbage and hinder the whole thing or they are good and just give out awesome (unrealistic) expectations.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Dik Hz posted:

I'm in the Piedmont Triad of North Carolina and weato's experience is pretty similar to my company's. Not quite $175 for drywallers*, but it's getting there.

*It may be $175 for drywallers that can pass a drug test. God help those who drug test sheet rock hangers.

You shouldn't be paying crap for hangers, now finishers though. Worth it completely if they are good.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

They will not care, they just want you to take their class and pay for the exam.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

D-Pad posted:

It's worth it. For a PM it is more valuable dollar/career wise than an MBA for waaaay less $ and effort. I've found that to be true.

Agreed, he should do it for sure. Just realize that it is generally BS.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

You sound just like a PM to me.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Rooted Vegetable posted:

Ok perfect.

Further question: my work tends to have multiple smaller projects taking place over many months due to availability of people. It can artificially lengthen a short project to a year even though the active time was a few months. I also have plenty of overlap, but is this a problem?

Furthermore, I was two-hatting for a while (Technical resource and PM). Also not a big deal?

I've got projects going back to 2017 on my history.

They just want your money. As long as some one will vouch for you don't really give it much thought.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Why are 95% of PMs just warm bodies that make my life miserable?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

D-Pad posted:

In my experience good PM'ing is an art not a science. The industry and certs treat it as a very complicated if/then statement and it really isn't. Most PMs aren't actually good at the art of it.

The other big thing is in a lot of places the PMs are so hamstrung by processes/procedure and poo poo management above them they can't do the things they want to/know are the better option.

A good PM exists to make your job easier and clear obstacles out of your way as well as interface with everybody outside the main project team with your interests in mind. That only works with competent resources, however, and a few bad apples that require a lot of PM handholding and micromanagement tend to turn a PM into just that and make everyone's life miserable.

Oh I know all that. I am mostly just bitching. It is always engineering management (me) resolving all the issues our PMs love to make.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

You want scheduling software so Microsoft Project or Primavera 6. Those both may be too costly and overpowered for what you are looking to do. You can set to-do tasks in Teams but a bit harder to move those around or resource load them with people and hours.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I wouldn't worry about it too much. In my experience the vast majority of PMs have no clue. As long as you learn from your peers and improve through mentorship you will be ok.

Meetings must have a purpose, an agenda, and the right people there. If you think you need an hour, shoot to do it in 30 min. Create action items and hold people to dates in the tracker. This one thing, good meetings, will get people to help you succeed the most.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Tnuctip posted:

Bwahahahahaha resources, get a load of this guy. Next thing you know you’ll want teams of people to work (big complicated expensive project.)

Ha resources.

Why yes I’m a bitter project manager why do you ask.

I have resources but terrible project managers...

PM: we need resources for project X
Me: This person is available based on the amount of work and other projects
My Employee 4 months later: this project hasn't had a single meeting
Me: :suicide:

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

LawfulWaffle posted:

I was asked to be an interviewer for a role similar to my own a few months ago and I was both surprised and encouraged by the generally poor quality of responses by the applicants. One was asked “what’s a project that you would like to revisit and what would you do differently” and they answered “I can’t think of any.” Hopefully I’m up against applicants of that quality.

My greatest weakness is I care too much and work too hard! You would think people would prepare for interviews but most do not and are terrible.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

It seems like a 5 of 5 risk is guaranteed to happen and therefore moves from a risk to a known. So if the risk of the plane being overweight is a 5 then you shouldn't continue the project.

This is how we do our cost and schedule reserve.

If item X happens it cost $100. The chance/risk of it happening is 40%. $100*0.4= $40 added to budgeted contingency. If this item happens it still cost $100 but hopefully other risk items don't happen so ultimately not over budget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

yeah could be. good point.