Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
Any recommendations for a book or podcast that's fun but you can also learn from it? Maybe some kind of PM war stories?

I'm a non-technical PM who manages the company's IT department so bonus points if it fits my situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Thanks, looks promising.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

theflyingexecutive posted:

I'm looking to make the jump into PMing and I would like to get a a couple ideas and a sanity check about what I'm trying to do. The bulk of my experience is in the film industry, where I would be the point person gently encouraging principal actors and background actors (extras) to get ready and that the departments getting them ready were doing their jobs on time, all from essentially the bottom of the org chart. Currently, I manage covid testing for big film promotion events (think premieres and press junkets), where my job more closely matches PMing vs Ops. I'm confident in my stable of soft skills, but both my prior jobs were completely informally structured (no PMIS at all) and narrow in both scope and schedule and my BS is in Microbiology.

I understand from this thread and other sources that the PMBOK exists in somewhat of a fantasy land wrt ideal PMing vs actual PMing and I believe I need to get my feet wet in structured PM work and not try to fake my way in somewhere to get blown out of the water when I can't lean on a mature PMO or document repository. What job titles and industries should I be looking for where my lack of hard skills makes sense? Healthcare makes a lot of sense as it's the industry I'm in now and tech is something I could get up to speed with but is a bloodbath in terms of hiring right now; should I broaden my scope or do I have too many things working against me?

I have a CAPM exam scheduled in a week (cost being the factor vs the PMP) to learn the vocabulary and show that I'm moderately competent. I would ideally slot into a sub-PM role in a big enough corporation willing to pay for more specialized PM training, should one exist. Is this a sane route or is there something wildly obvious or integral that I've overlooked?

In this post, I am using the Expert Judgement Tool.

I'm a project manager at a 50-100 employees company and I barely know any of the acronyms from your post. Maybe you're overlooking PM opportunities that aren't so corporate and formalized.