Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silvergun1000
Sep 17, 2007

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
I just passed my PMP exam today! Really glad to have that behind me.

I totally agree that having your PMP doesn’t say much besides your being able to memorize a textbook, but just like having a degree, it’s a checkbox that’s pretty common when somebody is looking to fill a PM position.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silvergun1000
Sep 17, 2007

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.

Dik Hz posted:

Eh. Given that it takes 2 years of PM experience to even qualify for the certificate, I think it shows a certain dedication to get it.

Yeah that’s kinda what I mean. Like the big thing a degree (at least an undergrad) shows is that you can undertake and complete a big multi-year undertaking. Most organizations I’ve worked for that wanted project managers with PMPs couldn’t articulate what that meant beyond “They PM good”, but these were hardly Fortune 500 companies either.

Silvergun1000
Sep 17, 2007

Partycat posted:

Just about every project manager that put PMP in their title or email signature was bad. They seem to treat it as a license to just do whatever they want.

In my experience that includes not following standard practices themselves, and overreaching into the project. The latter I feel comes from PMs being somewhat interested in work they are not qualified for and shouldn’t be part of and now they feel like they can inject themselves.

If there’s one thing I’d like to get from this thread it is how to tell a PM they need to back off and be a PM - they’re not a project technical resource and should not be.

My favorite are people who put their BS degree in the alphabet soup following their name. It’s rare but you get them on occasion!

As for the technical resource thing, I’d just look at the project’s roles and responsibilities and point out he’s not signed up to work on that stuff, assuming he’s not assigned to those tasks at least. Kinda hard for him to argue with his own documentation. This is assuming he actually did his job and put stuff like that together in the first place.

Personally I’ve been a technical resource as well on most projects I’ve run because I always wind up working for companies that don’t have enough technical resources to go around and have to wear a few hats. Honestly I think it’s good for a PM to be involved on a technical level since it ensures they have a better understanding of the product they’re helping develop. I kinda get the feeling you mean your PMs are sort of being back-seat drivers with the technical aspects of their projects though? If that’s the case, I agree that’s not really helping anything.