Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
I am looking to leave where I am now and I am having a hard time because I am either way over or under qualified for things. Most of what I have done has been small-medium sized projects in the medical communications field dealing with MLR (2 years ending in 2017) and now for software/custom websites (2 years) and I bounced around in media before that doing some PM stuff, writing, and sales.

Both PM jobs were waterfall so I didn't have to worry much about calculating critical paths or drafting up some crazy schedules. Neither place used any software for resource allocation, scheduling, etc. I have gotten little meaningful SDLC experience... I have done a little documentation for the small sites we do but it's some awful hybrid of requirements and specs that doesn't make sense for either party and would be fairly useless at a better organized company. Any new software build is an absolute joke as far as how it's managed. This place wasn't even doing user acceptance until 3 years ago and the PMO is about as old.

That being said, poo poo gets out on time, I tend to schedule and balance work pretty well despite garbage timelines and hilariously off estimates, I'm good at managing stakeholders, and I have a third eye for people who started working on something they shouldn't and are gonna blow up a timeline. Basically, I feel like I would potentially have problems in a more structured environment or running a large, complex project. Or at least a pretty significant learning curve.

Am I just letting imposter syndrome get me or is that a legit concern?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

savesthedayrocks posted:

Sweet, a PM thread.

I was promoted to a “Sr Program Manager” (whatever the hell that is) almost a year ago. I still have no idea what I’m doing. Definitely feeling the imposter syndrome, mostly because my background is in people management and operations where there are clearly defined metrics to hit.

Topping it off, my managers haven’t been PM’s, and even though I work at a bank you’ve heard of I don’t have project software. Other groups use JIRA, so I’ll have to see if I can get access and learn about it.

If there’s a mentor pool out there of people connecting I’m all ears since I can’t put to much out there online.

could be worse, I am currently being forced to use trello, even though 100% redundant (and out of sync) data from a system we already have. And we are being forced to use it for weekly task tracking. Mind you my dept closed some 400+ projects this past year...

image a weekly pseudo sprint board with backlog, active, and blocked columns, but none of those individual cards have enough info or correlation with anything to be useful to any PM, stakeholder, person doing the work, etc. There are literally 80 cards on this dumb thing now and it's my slowest week of the year, and I need to care about all of them. We also don't track progress on any of those, and it's 100% waterfall, so as a PM I gain gently caress all from it.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

Higgy posted:

Planner fails at trying to be Jira and doesn't come close to being good for project management. I've found really only useful for managing small tasks across a small team. I'm sorry you have to use it.

Yeah planner is a worse trello. The only thing it has going for it is all the built in tie ins to 365 for your own task management. Thank god I was able to talk my company out of not using it as a PM solution.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

As far as the PMP cert is concerned, what is the definition of leading a project

At my current place, myself and the other PM are also the spec writers. He tends to be the primary on that (like a 75-25 split) where as I run our day to day task management, scheduling, resource management, aligning dependencies, clearing blockers, stakeholder management, etc for all the projects, even ones that I did not write requirements for. For things I did not write specs for, my name isn't going to appear on any documentation, quality documents, etc. Our PM hours are not logged anywhere at all for any of those tasks.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

spwrozek posted:

They will not care, they just want you to take their class and pay for the exam.

yeah, I figured. I don't even know if I particularly feel like going through the headache, but it seems like at least half the places I am looking at prefer it or outright require it

thanks guys

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

LawfulWaffle posted:

This is a bit of a rant, but I want to compare experiences for a second. I just joined my agency’s PMO in May and I really enjoy the work for the most part. I can see myself making Project Management my career, but not here. Brief backstory: I rose through the ranks starting as a temp in the call center through network technician and landed as a Management Analyst in the PMO, which is under IT.

I am now in charge of our project to replace 700 workstations with Windows 10 machines. That’s fine, and as I’m learning about the PMI best practices I try to stay on top of the planning, documentation, and communication for the project. However, due to some deadweight in the Helpdesk/technician side of the department, and the lack of Helpdesk supervisor to manage it, I’ve also been doing a lot of technical work related to the project. Like personally testing software on the computers, running training/initialization sessions for all the staff, delivering and installing hardware, and troubleshooting problems as they arise. It’s a lot, and it eats into a lot of what I think I should be doing. As such I’ve been working (paid) overtime for the first time since I started with this company, and I feel a lot of personal pressure when unforeseen problems come up because maybe I didn’t do enough. Learning more about the job academically, think I should be able to delegate these tasks, but there’s no one to delegate to. I don’t actually mind the technical work because I’m a) used to it after a few years doing it as a job and b) I’m a decent teacher for the sessions, but I have a lot of other things I have to do. This isn’t even my only project!

Is this sort of situation common? Not specifically with tech, but any field? If there’s a project and part of the work involves, say, calling customers, is the PM likely to be tasked with that? Or is it usually just assigning work out and receiving reports?

Too common.

Right now I am some weird combo of PM and some BA stuff (specs, etc), with some dashes of department manager, release manager, light product management, and whatever the hell else someone is doing very poorly at the moment.

It is going about as well as you'd think. Our owner doesn't believe in titles, and thinks any kind of people management is not a full time job. We do not have functional department managers, and my boss is a director with about 30-40 direct reports who he can't manage

Most of the other places I am interviewing for give me similar understaffed vibes, but they're larger and pay a lot more.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

Dik Hz posted:

This has been my experience.

same as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

Pryce posted:

Just make sure that you get a good sense in your interviews of what the companies themselves believe their project managers are supposed to be. Best possible situation is always gonna be to find a company that agrees with your definition, regardless of what you feel that definition is.

I think this is an important distinction to make. My last 2 places I were closer to this/what Xenoborg described.