Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Nobody goes to school to be a project manager; they tend to rise up from the development floor after getting an understanding on how everything works at their company and getting lucky as people above them leave. The ratio with me was probably 25/75 to be honest. I'm 28 and am still with this company after graduating from university 6 years ago.

How do you job hunt as a project manager without going to the bottom again? PMPs are viewed with scorn, and I'm not really considering getting one, but maybe it's good way to say "I can interpret poo poo for your devs and clients easily and painlessly" on a resume? Or is success in job hunting--and I know this applies to any position but seems doubly true for these types of jobs--really just about having a lucky and supportive network?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Partycat posted:

Just about every project manager that put PMP in their title or email signature was bad. They seem to treat it as a license to just do whatever they want.

In my experience that includes not following standard practices themselves, and overreaching into the project. The latter I feel comes from PMs being somewhat interested in work they are not qualified for and shouldn’t be part of and now they feel like they can inject themselves.

If there’s one thing I’d like to get from this thread it is how to tell a PM they need to back off and be a PM - they’re not a project technical resource and should not be.

I have a major problem with this lol. About 25-30% of the projects I PM have a localization aspect to them, and since my minor was in German I can’t help but look stuff over myself sometimes even though I shouldn’t be.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Oh man totally forgot about this thread.

We are going through demos for choosing a new ERP software and it is gruuuuuuuuuuuuuuueling. Thankfully we had it whittled down to 2 bids but still.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

High Lord Elbow posted:

Correction: If people who are good at their jobs were good at aligning with people in other jobs and people weren’t inherently lazy without transparency and accountability, you wouldn’t need project managers.

But people are people, so overhead increases.

Yeah PMs are supposed to be people persons for people who aren't people persons. After graduating into the working world it was just baffling to me how so many of my colleagues on the main production floor, like, just couldn't talk to people either out of anxiety or a lack of social finesse that a client should never see anyway, even if they were extremely talented at the operational task they were doing each day. I fully recognize that later being hired as a PM at my company had more to do with the way I looked and acted every day and less to do with any sort of production/operational metrics I'd been taking care of before my promotion.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

THE MACHO MAN posted:

As far as the PMP cert is concerned, what is the definition of leading a project

At my current place, myself and the other PM are also the spec writers. He tends to be the primary on that (like a 75-25 split) where as I run our day to day task management, scheduling, resource management, aligning dependencies, clearing blockers, stakeholder management, etc for all the projects, even ones that I did not write requirements for. For things I did not write specs for, my name isn't going to appear on any documentation, quality documents, etc. Our PM hours are not logged anywhere at all for any of those tasks.

At my job the other PM would be called a PM, and your job would be the next tier down, a scheduler or more formally a project coordinator.

Not saying it's not still a leading aspect of a project of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
As long as you’re a generally organized person you should be fine. The post above me has some very good details on meetings. I just got a new PM job after about 5 years as a PM at my old job, and meetings are going to be a much bigger deal at my new job. (40% raise doesn’t hurt either :homebrew:)

Something that was asked of me in my interview was, which is more important, the process or the people? I answered the people, because if the people are taken care of, you’ll get good results every time as a matter of course. But it does mean needing to be the conversation wrangler and cutting people off if need be. Not to mention interfacing with clients. This is a people job.