Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

The Berzerker posted:

oh hey a PM thread, hello

I think with a large enough project there is enough for a PM to do that it is a full job itself, but having been both of these (a PM with some technical resource/skill and a PM without it), I definitely prefer managing projects where I have some understanding of the subject area. I've been working in the same area for 3 years now so I did some additional education to be somewhat useful as a resource to my technical team and my relationship with them is much stronger for it. I remember hating managing construction projects because I didn't know anything about construction and didn't care to learn, it was miserable all around.
It really depends on the person.

Being technically savvy doesn't make you a good PM. It also doesn't make you a bad PM. I've seen it go both ways as well as vice-versa that being technically clueless doesn't stop people from being good managers of technical programs.

Generally though, being able to talk intelligently about the technical challenges is a useful skill, it generally ads credibility to your schedule and cost estimates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU