Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

weato
Oct 29, 2010
Cool thread. I've been a PM for a large complex facility for about 7 years. In truth my role is much more like that of a facility manager, but our threshold for "project" is any task with more that 20 hours of labour, hence the title. Also, my org doesn't feel like funding both an FM and PM position so I get to plan capital redevelopment projects while also hearing out managers on why they absolutely need every single white board in their department moved 4 inches to the left.

Anyways, not being a formally trained PM I just want to say how great reading this thread has been. I report directly to a CFO and have exactly ziltch internal expertise to draw from. Would love to hear more from any construction or FM industry PM's (should they exist in this thread).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weato
Oct 29, 2010

Dik Hz posted:

We have a similar role on our team. My biggest advice: Find a good electrician sub-contractor and nurture that relationship like your job depends on it. (It does)

We have two great electrical subs that constantly bail us out of bad situations. The one that specializes in high voltage live work is basically a gift from god.

Where I'm from the economy is going gangbusters and it's incredibly hard to find anyone that wants to work. This is particularly true in the less sexy trades. Drywalling, flooring, systems furniture, things like that. We very regularly have multi-million dollar tenders close with only 1-2 bids, and several of the price fields will be left blank because the GC's couldn't get a sub to submit. Last year we paid $175/h for a drywaller because he knew no one else would do it.

This has opened up a very interesting and stressful avenue of risk - contractors who make so much money that its no longer their main motivator. It's really changed the industry dynamic. Case and point I'm now the one sending them Christmas cards that more or less state "thank you for taking our money".

weato
Oct 29, 2010

Dik Hz posted:

I'm in the Piedmont Triad of North Carolina and weato's experience is pretty similar to my company's. Not quite $175 for drywallers*, but it's getting there.

*It may be $175 for drywallers that can pass a drug test. God help those who drug test sheet rock hangers.

I'm in a rather bubbly area of southern Ontario, but colleagues elsewhere are having similar experiences.

We don't typically have drug tests in Canadaland but we do require a criminal background check and vulnerable sector check... this does thin out the labour pool a fair bit.