Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pryce
May 21, 2011
I've been doing 'unofficial' PM work for the last few years (or a very, very basic version of it), and I'm starting next week at a new company in a much more official capacity. I'm pretty sure it's going to end up being sort of a hybrid PM/SM role, and until I start I won't be sure which direction it'll lean harder in. The last 5 months I've been reading tons of PM/Scrummaster/Leadership books (mostly because my last company did an org-wide transition from waterfall to Scrum and pushed everyone through an Agile bootcamp which left me wanting much, much more info on being an SM while still learning about the PM role). I'll list the books I've gone through already, but was wondering if anyone had any other good PM-specific suggestions off the top of their heads:

Favorites:

Others I read:

Owned but unread (yet):

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Korwen posted:

Hey BFC goons, I'm currently a project manager for an MSP (Information Technology outsourcing company basically) and I'm about to start searching for a new job.

The question I'm trying to answer is, is project management even the field I want to be in, or should I look at other career paths.

The reason I'm not sure is because my current position's responsibilities have changed drastically from what they were when I was hired.

Originally my tasks were to manage the administrative overhead associated with our projects. This was stuff such as doing all the opening data entry in our PM software, scheduling meetings to get projects started, or cadence calls as they were ongoing, monitoring the budget and schedule throughout, running our daily scrum meetings and then any paperwork and administrative tasks as the project closed.

That is a very big-picture overview of the job responsibilities initially. I also worked alongside a team lead, who had a thorough understanding of the actual technical work being done, did the project scoping and estimating, and also managed the employees on the team. I would help develop and monitor team KPI's, but when it came time to manage the team members, 1 on 1s, etc, that fell to the team lead.

Then that team lead left, and all of the team personnel management tasks have fallen to me, and I am not happy with that work. I'm a numbers and data person, but I'm not a disciplinarian, nor am I a particularly great motivator. I'm happy to track metrics to show everyone how much work needs doing, and what our deadlines are, but I don't like having to coach the individuals, do 1 on 1s, hire/fire, or other tasks associated with personnel management.

So my question is, if I like the administrative work, data analytics, and meeting scheduling/coordination parts of my role as a project manager, but do not have the desire to be a leader of employees, is project management the right field for me?

Just make sure that you get a good sense in your interviews of what the companies themselves believe their project managers are supposed to be. Best possible situation is always gonna be to find a company that agrees with your definition, regardless of what you feel that definition is.