Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

So I've walked into the family business, HVAC contracting, with no experience in PM. We have no software besides quickbooks, meaning physical contract management, paper timecards, paper service tickets that aren't digitized, all that trash. I need to build a system that works for both the new construction side and the service side of the business. Thing is, I don't know where to start other than to ask those of you who are in construction or close enough for any suggestions.

I can't really tell the difference between the wheat and the chaff other than Procore seems nice but costs 550 bucks a month which is a bit rich.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

I'll answer in order:

1. There are three of us on the office side, we should be able to learn whatever system we choose in a reasonable amount of time. The field guys are definitely less IT savvy but the hope is that since they work in pairs they'll be able to help each other out and will only need to access a couple parts of the software anyway.
2. We're desperate to have better organization since we've lost money due to poor billing practices and missed contract renewals.
3. We have had quieter times, just getting out of one now, but waiting for another will probably make that period all the more painful if we leave money on the table again.
4. I feel like we're going to be a bit less carrot and a bit more stick with it, because this is all about discipline which has been lax. Could probably figure out some kind of gift to balance it though.
5. I'll ask some of our GC's what they use.