Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Golden Bee posted:

Where do people find new project management cakes? LinkedIn puts general project management and construction management as the same title, which is frustrating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

The PMBOK is really a reference book, not a textbook it would be difficult to learn with it alone. There are tons of affordable online courses you can take to get the basics down, then have your employer pay for a good accredited course to qualify for the PMP or CPM test once you're ready to take it.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

nashona posted:

Asking about a timeline is never tacky. Remember you're interviewing them as much as they're interviewing you.

This right here. If you're a good PM, they probably need you a lot more than you need them. Ask a lot of questions about how their current processes work and how you'll fit into them.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

If you're looking at tech, you should probably become a Certified Scrum Master. Most places are using some form of Agile which is completely different than the waterfall methods they mostly teach in PMBOK.

My only experience with health care is that there were a bunch of health care PMs in my PMP class before the pandemic, so I assume they use waterfall a lot over there.

When I took my course the class was more than half commercial and government construction people with most the remaining being in health care, then a few stragglers like me, some college kids and one woman from Disney. The rest of the class was completely confused by everything I did and said about project management.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

theflyingexecutive posted:

Would you recommend CAM over PSM (also looking at PSM+Kanban)? My current employer isn't going to spring for any training for me, so cost is a factor unfortunately.

If your plan is to go into tech, PSM is going to be the most valuable. I've never met a CAM by title or certification.
Like somebody above said about Pmbok, Scrum is an aspiration and everyone wants to do it but few fully realize it.
As for Kanban, I've never gotten formal Kanban training, but I don't see what it adds that Scrum doesn't already cover, and I've never seen a job that was looking for Kanban experience, just Scrum experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

skooma512 posted:

Did classes for PMP because work offered it. Now to do the application and actually take the test.

I'm gonna be real, on paper I don't think I would qualify to sit the exam. I'm a worker bee and always have been, I've never been given any leadership opportunities and anytime I've been assigned a project, I at best get assigned another person who I don't even want to bother and just do the whole thing myself. Anything I'd put on the application will be embellished. Hopefully my current job will also let me sit in on meetings, but I feel like that would be too little too late for me and I would again just be lying, and they also have to let me do this within the next 5 months because I'm moving then.

If you've taken the PMP courses, but don't have the necessary hours to qualify for a PMP cert, you can instead take the CAPM cert, its like the junior G-Man version of the PMP and qill qualify you for the type of job that will qualify you for a full PMP.