Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013
Well, I've somehow managed to fall rear end backwards into a project management type role as my first proper job. I'm feeling more than a little terrified. My project management experience up to this point can be summed up as trying to beat an Excel Gantt chart template into submission and (mostly successfully!) putting out fire after fire during both of my university degree's engineering project modules. I had no real formal instruction on project management itself beyond the occasional class and what I could glean from reading books in the university library. And I have no experience with construction-type projects - which is what I've been asked to deal with. Though as I understand it generally a project is a project is a project.

I'm extremely lucky in that A) I have a cool boss who hasn't dumped me in the deep end right away, and B) my workplace has a very collaborative culture, but I want to make up for the lack of formal instruction I received. What's this thread's advice for a near-neophyte, and what should I be reading/looking at in order to shake the rust off and ensure I'm not going to crash and burn spectacularly? Unfortunately money's tight so ideally it'd be stuff I could act upon without having to spend a ton of cash.

In short, :derp:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013
Thanks guys, I appreciate the great advice! I'll try to make use of as much of it as I can.

Although progress was glacial up until recently, apparently the project was first thought up two years ago... and they're only thinking of having someone (me) write a codified project plan now. :psyduck: In all fairness, COVID took its toll and this isn't some massive multinational but rather a non-profit with like 30 guys tops (plus there wasn't anyone available to focus only on the project until I was hired) but I'm still a little taken aback. Are there any typical project plan items I could reasonably dispense with given the organisation's relatively small scale, or am I better served listening to my instincts and just attempting to draw up a plan in its entirety, even if it feels a little like overkill?