Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Higgy posted:

Protect your tech’s time from your sponsor/client/customer/whateverr, understand what they care about, and make it your mission to remove the poo poo that stops them from doing their job or generally just annoys them. That’ll put you in the top few percent of PMs.

I'll do that!

I also took on the job full time recently and found one project was just bullshit clearing. I was a bloody snowplow ahead of my team in that regard... Kind of liked it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
I know what I'm about to say is part of PMing... but loving hell, vendors, appreciate that I occasionally want a straight loving answer without having to spend half an hour describing my project and all the use cases. I get it that you need to know the background but it's possible to take that to far and I know when I'm being fished for Professional Services hours. Did it really have to take that long to organise some relevant staff training for me and my team?

Also, appreciate this thread is here because I moved into this role about 8 months ago and it can feel a bit lonely.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
I'm a year into being a formal PM, although with a few years of PM experience before that (without the title). I assure you that the imposter sydrome is a shared feeling. If you must, get a few certs or do a few courses, put the certificates on the wall and remind yourself that you really do have the necessary skills. I absolutely agree that every organisation has quirks and quirks is a very broad spectrum term.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Speaking as an IT PM who's had painful implementations before: Can you assess the general IT and software system savvy of the organisation? Are they willing to change their business processes to match the software you'll deploy (answer on a scale of never to completely)? Is there a quieter time for the organsation where they won't mind if thinks take longer while they learn? Can you introduce some positive incentives for the staff to learn this stuff (e.g. free gift once they hit some sort of learning or proficency target)? Bonus points: Do your own suppliers or subcontractors have a system they would prefer you use or would like you to try out?

I'm being very raw about those questions and providing absolutely no regard for the company-mandated "what does the business need, therefore that is the answer" line that I was trained to give, but at the same time, answering that stuff honestly is much more help than not

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
MS Planner folks... It's the MS Paint of Project Planning. Occasionally great for purpose but want to do anything advance and you'd better be an utter master at it.

Actually, considering some of the MS Paint art out there, I think this really is the analogy for MS Planner.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Nope. I mean Planner

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Everyone be sure to ask work if they'll pay your PMI membership. Mine did no question at all.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
I'm a PM, with a small team, without the title (yet). I'm cleared to have said title in my email signature etc but it's not updated in our HR systems etc yet. This admittedly is more to do with general neglect of IT titles and such over the last few years by a previous management team, and to be frank, I'd have liked the new one to have somehow sorted this out faster, but I'm glad it's happening at all. I've also not had the salary bump but I have had support for training and conference attendance (oh wait...)

Anyway, I actually got to write my own job description, which worked well as I have a mixed Technical and PM role (although I try to keep the two seperate). That was pretty valuable.

However, it should be noted that over most of the period this was carried out, I've grown in PM experience.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Knight2m posted:

I am 1.5 classes away from getting my Master's degree (paid through my company). Did I just waste my time?

Paid for by your company? No you did not waste your time.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
A question about the PMP application process. My supervisors and managers at work are a mixed bag. Often we'll work under a different supervisor, rather than our direct manager, for some time. Other times, we'll be left to our own initiative and just report back to stakeholders and keep our direct manager informed, sometimes we'll do that but with a supervisor.

Now, when it comes to filling in the application and defending it should it ever be audited, I'm getting mixed answers from the PMI on who I can use for that:
* The PMP Handbook (most practical guide to the application process) says " your supervisor(s) or manager(s) from the project(s) recorded in the experience verification section of the application".
* However, an audit requirements page says "A manager, supervisor, or colleague who has firsthand knowledge of the experience on your application isrequired to review and then complete the Project Management Experience Audit Report."

The latter is easier to obtain because I still work with people I've had on projects, whereas managers in the last few years get shuffled around.

My question is how much I should be ready for in case an audit does come, and if so, are there any tips for whom I should pre-ask to be a reference if needed.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Ok perfect.

Further question: my work tends to have multiple smaller projects taking place over many months due to availability of people. It can artificially lengthen a short project to a year even though the active time was a few months. I also have plenty of overlap, but is this a problem?

Furthermore, I was two-hatting for a while (Technical resource and PM). Also not a big deal?

I've got projects going back to 2017 on my history.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Firstly, PMP application is accepted and I just need to schedule the exam.

I'm studying my PMP Preparation Course Book now. Kind of a lot to take in... As is the PMBOK... As are my extensive notes. Kind of seems like PMTraining.com (who I'm doing practice exams with) would like you to know the Agile Practice Guide too.

In terms of remembering all of this during the stress of job, kid and covid, any hints?

Adjacent question, did anyone use Anki for making flashcards and if so, any quick guides on making effective cards?

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

D-Pad posted:

The best advice for the test is the correct answer is not what any sane reasonable person would actually do, the correct answer is what the PMBOK says to do.

Sound advice that is consistent with my instructor. However, cramming all those answers into my head is the issue... Especially when I've got to do the sane answers day to day

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Fromy experience with the current practice questions, that's still valid.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Project would be a good fit for that.

Planner (a seperate product) might be but I'm not sure it'll do the shuffling and percentage completeness you're looking for. It's more for pull based scheduling when I last used it.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Congrats!

I passed recently too.

Agree with the draining thing, the whole exam feels like a giant messing with one's mind. I sometimes wonder if passing simply means making it to the end without going certifiably mad.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Further advice for test takers:
* Get a PMTraining.com practice exam package ($90 for 3mo) and do lots of practice exams. This is the most effective method of preparation. Read around what you get wrong.
* Use Anki to make flashcards and maximize your toilet phone time
* Read the PMBOK, Agile Practice Guide and PMP authorized prep courses manual.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
PMBOK Seventh Edition will be out in August and by god I'm counting the hours reading the changes as PDUs (which is allowed afaik)

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Don't be ridiculous! I'm keeping it on a shelf in my office to make me look well read.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Question, but more of a call for stories. I recently changed positions (still a PM, different company in same group) and it's dramatic how much financial tracking is in the new one. I feel like I've become a financial analyst with what I've got ahead of me. Previously, it wasn't a concern as I was managing internal projects.

The question is simple, strategies for dealing with large PM process change when you change roles?

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Thoguh posted:

Also any specific test prep classes that are recommended?

If you do the week long PMP preparation course, make sure it's a PMI authorized one. They use standard, PMI branded, slides and materials. This means you'll get the same content, and you can select a trainer you like.

After that, I personally liked PMTraining.com for practice exams, but there are others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Anyone got any good books to read if you might be going from an internal facing role to an external client facing/professional services role?