Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
As I look around for a possible job change I see PMP listed on almost every job posting I'm looking at, so I think I am going to take the plunge and start studying for the exam. Given that it's switching from 6th to 7th edition in January is there any reason it would be a stupid idea to plan on being able to be ready for the exam by December if I start now and devote 5-6 hours a week to studying for it? My background is project engineering and I've taken various program management classes both as part of my MBA and internal training with my employer so I'm not coming in blind but this will be my first exposure to a lot of the specific terminology and specifics of the process steps as PMI defines them.

Also any specific test prep classes that are recommended?

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jul 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Apsyrtes posted:

Are you aware that to qualify to write the exam you have to first meet education and experience requirements? I only ask because fulfilling the education requirement is where you would typically get that first exposure to the terminology etc.

Yeah, I've got the contact hours and the experience requirements I meant the specific terminology that PMI uses since my impression is that exact definitions are a big part of the exam.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Thoguh posted:

As I look around for a possible job change I see PMP listed on almost every job posting I'm looking at, so I think I am going to take the plunge and start studying for the exam.

:toot:

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Apsyrtes posted:

Awesome... way to go!

canyoneer posted:

Congratulations! Now please update your milestone on the Gantt so we can circle back in the next stand-up

Thanks! Nice to finally have it be over. In retrospect I way over studied for it, and probably could have taken it a month ago or more I was expecting it to be a lot harder than it actually was.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Golden Bee posted:

How hard is the PMP compared to like, the SATs?

Different type of exam, it's all about knowledge of terms and how to react to situations. More like a final from a college class than anything else.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Dik Hz posted:

Anyone got free PDU recommendations?

If you have access to LinkedIn Learning through your employer they have a lot of videos that provide PDUs, I did all of mine through that. Or paying for it yourself for a month is probably a lot cheaper than a lot of PDU sources.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
The current PMP exam is really easy if you actually have a PM background and do some prep for it so 30 hours would do it. It only has a reputation for being hard due to a combination of what it used to be and the fact that a lot of people who try and take it don’t actually have PM experience and try to get it just to get through resume filters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Through The Decade posted:

What’s the best practice test these days? I saw that PMI is selling one but that they also have some separate subscription thing that comes with a ton of practice questions. I’m eligible to take the exam anytime but I want to wait for my director of engineering to get back from leave in March, he’s the one pushing to have the company pay for it. So I’ve got some study time.

If your company will pay for it the one from PMI gave me questions that were extremely close to what was on the actual test. If your company won't pay for it then get an Udemy course that has a lot of reviews and has been recently updated.