Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Heners_UK posted:

I know what I'm about to say is part of PMing... but loving hell, vendors, appreciate that I occasionally want a straight loving answer without having to spend half an hour describing my project and all the use cases. I get it that you need to know the background but it's possible to take that to far and I know when I'm being fished for Professional Services hours. Did it really have to take that long to organise some relevant staff training for me and my team?

Also, appreciate this thread is here because I moved into this role about 8 months ago and it can feel a bit lonely.

I have the tendency to ask the question I need an answer to without giving the full story and picture of where that question is coming from and I notice people are never able to answer it. Which I recognize partly is that I have been thinking about this issue for a while and have zeroed in on the missing piece that someone can fill me in on, but they have not been thinking about this at all and are completely confused or can't even recall the information. Mostly I do it because that is what I appreciate - a straight question that I can reply to without worry of any repercussion.

After typing that I'm not sure if it's that relevant but I've decided people either don't know enough about what you are looking for and want to tailor the response or they are afraid of what the answer might mean for them, as if it's some kind of secret you're not allowed to hear.

And yes, it's a lonely gig sometimes where you're talking to people often, but rarely exchanging ideas with a peer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU