Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Higgy posted:

I've said it in other threads, but I'm a fan of Confluence for project documentation. We've been using it for all of our software and IT projects for a few years now. It's easy to organize in a way that's professional looking, keeps all documentation together and easily accessible enough to most people. It can even work as a psuedo-document library in that you can load files but not great for revision tracking and all that for files.

How are you using this for tasks and breakdowns?

It does have a "tasks" and assignments, sort of basic sort of thing, but, editing and managing content is kinda clunky if you get overboard.

Our org had someone determine all projects need a PMBOK type project workbook so we end up getting stuck in documentation trash land while trying to also do work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Just about every project manager that put PMP in their title or email signature was bad. They seem to treat it as a license to just do whatever they want.

In my experience that includes not following standard practices themselves, and overreaching into the project. The latter I feel comes from PMs being somewhat interested in work they are not qualified for and shouldn’t be part of and now they feel like they can inject themselves.

If there’s one thing I’d like to get from this thread it is how to tell a PM they need to back off and be a PM - they’re not a project technical resource and should not be.

Partycat fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Jul 31, 2018

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Yes they’re treating things like being the PM makes them the de facto boss over operations and process for that slice of our work.

This is made worse by repeatedly demonstrating poor understanding of the subject matter, dogging holes filled only with technical debt, and behind-the-scenes work that the team is not kept apprised of.

I understand you can’t be an evangelical project manager thumping on some PMI bible. Company and team requirements , dynamics , and culture drive how things will work in reality. However, you can’t at the same time as using the role as a license to dictate things use it as a pass to exempt yourself.

But, if work is getting done even if lovely, and management won’t back that this is a problem, then it only festers and continues.