Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
A PM thread?!? I'm in finance but work with a whole lotta PM's.

Anyone work with EVMS?

I had been working at my last job at simple examples to show why planning 0 overtime is a mistake that leads to cascading issues like increased overtime, slippage, decline in safety, quality issues, & more. Curious if anyone's got resources on that?

Basic idea is your sales/engineering/whatever team creates the initial plan - labor & material budgeted out. The sales side may inflate it a bit before passing it to the customer. A good PM will make as honest a plan off these figures as possible. A bad PM will just cut the figures ~10% and with a goal of coming in 10% under budget. Which they'll fail to do. The cut budget never being reasonable causes cascading labor build ups & overtime needs to just stay on track. When something goes wrong (something always goes wrong) - they have no capacity to adjust as their labor is already working OT & burning out to stay on their original, 10% too light, budget.

The concept falls on deaf ears for bad PM's without explicit, simple examples though because in their mind - if they planned 10% under, even with slippage, they'll still be okay. The last job they managed which was wildly over budget & late was an exception because [poo poo reasons].

Worst PM I've ever interacted with was a 3rd party IT software deployment/management company that planned an ERP upgrade on 2'x1' poster boards. On the other side I can't understate how much I've learned from good PM's.

I'm fascinated by all the "PM is not a leadership role" statements. Organizing people, resources, responsible budgeting & scheduling, obtaining reasonable updates, taking ownership of a project & problems, allocating & reallocating, communication communication & communication... is leadership?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU