Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
So, where would you PMs recommend getting started with learning formal project management approaches / skills? I've been managing projects for like six years now, but it's only sheer luck that none of them have blown up in my face yet. I have no formal training for project management and one of these days, someone is going to notice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Sarern posted:

Uhh if you've made it six years with no explosions, you're already way ahead of the game (compared to the five or so PMs I've seen).

The secret is to inherit projects that are already smoldering. :v:

Higgy posted:

My first introduction to it was through a book they had us read in business school called “Making It Happen”. One of those fictional “novels” that seem kind of dumb at first. It walks pretty well through the core basics of project planning, scheduling, budgeting, controlling, etc.

I can try to dig up some other resources later. PMI has a lot of good stuff though a lot of people tend to not like them since a lot of their stuff is behind a paywall.

Thanks a bunch! I'll google the book as a starting point. It really is a miracle I've not been sacrificed to the dark gods multiple times over already by capital request review boards, so I'll take any help I can get. :)